The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Drtooth

Reaction score

You know, I WARNED people about that movie years ago... well, at least a year and a half ago.... And it's even worse than I could have ever dreaded...

Let me count the ways...

1. Underdog is a REAL Dog, not an anthropomorphic cartoon character.
  2. They gave him the darn wrong voice, so instead of talking in rhyming couplets, he just shoots predictable one liners
  3. it has Jim "I'm a sponge on my family name" Belushi in it.
  4. They even managed to get Simon Barsinnister wrong. he's gota full head of Hair for one thing.
  5. And the other anthropomorphic characters are just plain animals as well..

All this from the same studio that saw half an episode of Inspector Gadget and made a movie before their deal with DIC ran out.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
You know, I WARNED people about that movie years ago... well, at least a year and a half ago.... And it's even worse than I could have ever dreaded...

Let me count the ways...
  1. Underdog is a REAL Dog, not an anthropomorphic cartoon character.
  2. They gave him the darn wrong voice, so instead of talking in rhyming couplets, he just shoots predictable one liners
  3. it has Jim "I'm a sponge on my family name" Belushi in it.
  4. They even managed to get Simon Barsinnister wrong. he's gota full head of Hair for one thing.
  5. And the other anthropomorphic characters are just plain animals as well..
All this from the same studio that saw half an episode of Inspector Gadget and made a movie before their deal with DIC ran out.
When I first heard about the Underdog movie, I assumed it would be something like Rocky & Bullwinkle, mixing the live actors with computer-generated/animated ones who looked/acted like the originals. I never thought they'd use a real dog...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When I first heard about the Underdog movie, I assumed it would be something like Rocky & Bullwinkle, mixing the live actors with computer-generated/animated ones who looked/acted like the originals. I never thought they'd use a real dog...
And THAT'S what I thought they'd do with the Chipmunks too! I should've known better since that's not what they did with Scooby Doo.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Honestly, I think that Underdog is gonna suck, and maybe the Chipmunks movie, but I think that they should've done the same thing they did with Scooby Doo with the Underdog movie. That is, make the dog CGI-ish. The thing that made Underdog is the fact that he kinda flexed his muscles, and didn't have much. Those 2 little bumps. What's next? Hong Kong Phooey? I'm telling you THAT is gonna be the new script. Underdog, though, has potential as a cute, take your kids out for the night, kinda movie. So does the Chipmunks, but it's not the kinda movie that I would wanna see on my own.

Daniel

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
So Jason Lee's playing David Seville in the Chipmunks flick, AND voicing Underdog...Tennessee Tuxedo, anyone? Or perhaps Chilly Willy?

Teheheman

Reaction score
CHILLY WILLY! It wouldn't shock me if there was a Woody Woodpecker movie coming out in 2008 or 2009.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, I think that Underdog is gonna suck, and maybe the Chipmunks movie, but I think that they should've done the same thing they did with Scooby Doo with the Underdog movie. That is, make the dog CGI-ish. The thing that made Underdog is the fact that he kinda flexed his muscles, and didn't have much. Those 2 little bumps. What's next? Hong Kong Phooey? I'm telling you THAT is gonna be the new script. Underdog, though, has potential as a cute, take your kids out for the night, kinda movie. So does the Chipmunks, but it's not the kinda movie that I would wanna see on my own.

Daniel
Here's what I feel... Everything that made Underdog special and a satire are stripped down. he was a nebbish, not a sarcastic Raphael from the 80's TMNT wanna be. He was not the kind of superhero that you'd expect to fight well in battle. Polly was also supposed to be demure and kidnappable. Simon Barsinnister was a crazy hunched over scientist with a tall sidekick that always questioned his weopons and didn't get the point of what he was trying to do. Riff Raff was a Mafioso send up. And to add to it Underdog had a weak secret identity. From the previews the only thing they got right was him blowing up the phone booth when he changes.

I really can't find the appeal. kids don't know who he is and they don't care. The classic cartoon fanbase has been told to jump in the lake, since there is nothing in the movie that resembles their fond memories of the show.

If they NEEDED to do an Underdog Movie, they should have made it ALL CGI. That way they could do impossible stuff that's more believable. Even if they had to make him look like a real dog, he still could have gone to work and walked on his hind legs and wore glasses and stuff.

Hollywood really needs to rethink this sort of thing. Look at the new TMNT. They didn't need to make it a remake or hip it up for younger audiences. It worked because A) it was similar to the current cartoon, and B) it was a hanging sequal that fit in with the 1990's films. Only people who didn't like it were expecting them to say Cowabunga and Dude every 2 minutes...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
IMDB says original animated series ("The Alvin Show") was from 1961 to 1962.

I loved Clyde Crashcup and Leonardo btw, hilarious! Too bad they can't be in the movie.
Did you see the 1991 episode where Professor Crashcup came in his time machine and brought the chipmunks form the "50's" to meet their selves in the 90's and they both traded places because they both sets of them though that life would be easier in a different time.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
All I'm saying is...if I hear of an upcoming project called, let's say, Snagglepuss: The Movie...well...them's fightin' words!:mad: