Kermit and Lydia the Tattooed Lady

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
So, how was this performed?
Kermit and Lydia dance onstage with Rowlf playing piano in the background, and Animal on drums. Kermit wears a striped red jacket, and Lydia wears a bikini top and skirt, so all of the tatoos sung about are quite visibe.

btw, Lydia looks a bit like Dr. Strangepork with a red wig on.

Whatever

Reaction score
Why is she called Lydia the tatooed lady and not the tatooed pig? LOL maybe b/c of :mad:

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Why is she called Lydia the tatooed lady and not the tatooed pig?
My best guess is that, like a good number of the songs on TMS, Lydia was a pre existing song from before the show premeared. But, I am sure of nothing.

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Crazy Harry said:
My best guess is that, like a good number of the songs on TMS, Lydia was a pre existing song from before the show premeared. But, I am sure of nothing.
Your guess would be right. Go to any search engine and type in the song title. You'll find dozens of websites with the lyrics.

Jennifer

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yep. It was first sung by Groucho in the 1939 Marx Bros. movie At the Circus. He later performed it when he was a guest on several TV shows, and incorporated it into his one-man stage show in the 1970s.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I also heard that this was one of Jim's favorite songs...I can't remember where I heard that though, so I can't backup my theory.

anytimepally

Reaction score
I also heard that this was one of Jim's favorite songs...I can't remember where I heard that though, so I can't backup my theory.
I heard that as well... somewhere.. maybe the Muppet Morsels on the Season 1 DVDs?

Groucho's version also has a few extra verses that Kermit & Rowlf don't include in their versions

Beauregard

Reaction score
The Muppet versions often cut a verse here or there. Many children's films or tv-series use songs with adult themes and then cut certain lines/verses.

David French

Reaction score
And yet TMS was meant to be for Adults in the first place... :wink:

Re-watching that episode lately I reckon that that number is a re-record and not part of the original recorded episode. Kermit's voice in some of the early episodes is a bit deeper but for this number it's the usual "natural Henson voice" that we normally associate Kermit with that is used. Also the intro after the opening theme is more akin with later episodes than the early ones as well - compare and contrast the opening from this episode to the opening in the next episode.

Of course this is just a theory of mine and I have no concrete evidence to support it.