The new What Made You Smile Today thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Just a random thought. Back in the 70d, there was a genre in Hollywood called the Disaster movie. It started in 1972 with The Poseidon Adventure and for the rest of the decade, studios would use the formula of an all-star cast, some pretty decent special effects (no CGI yet, most were done with miniatures) and create movie blockbusters.
Two of the biggest came out around Christmas 1974. Universal released Earthquake, and in an industry first, 20th Century Fox and Warner Brothers pooled together to create The Towering Inferno.

The coolest thing was, a few theatres ran both movies, billed as “Shake and Bake”.

Earthquake used the then-brand-new Sensurround during the quake scenes, so the audience can actually feel the earthquake vibrating their seats.
Inferno became, briefly, the highest-grossing film of all time, until Star Wars three years later.

Any Del

Reaction score
Does anyone remembers Oswald the octopus, Oobi and 64 Zoo Lane? They were one of my favorite shows on Noggin back in the day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well certainly OOBI, heck, I remember in the earlier days of Noggin when it originated as little series of short inserts before it was expanded into a full-fledge half-hour series . . . they could definitely count as Early Installment Weirdness, because Kako didn't have his little red beanie, and Uma didn't have her little beret.

Any Del

Reaction score
Same. The one short segment I've really enjoyed was when Oobi was out of pretzels because Uma ate them all and Grampu shared the thick preztels with him. It made me yearn for preztels since then.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember mentioning OOBI to Noel MacNeal when I met him a couple of years ago, and even he admitted that he thought it was, "a weird show." :laugh:

Any Del

Reaction score
Yeah it kinda was. Hands and feet doing everyday activities like humans.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Oswald was a good comfort show. The animation, character designs and music always stuck out for me. Definitely want to relive it at some point.

OOBI just creeped me out as a kid. Like I always felt so uncomfortable watching it. 😐

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Barehanded puppetry has a minimalistic charm for sure, but I can see why it would come across as a might unsettling for some. I, at least always appreciated how the puppeteers would try different ways of using their hands so that they all didn't look so streamline with other like - whether it subtle like the way Noel MacNeal would curve his knuckle slightly inward, or more obvious like Tyler Bunch's making a partial fist out of his hand for Grampu.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm just glad Facebook finally brought back the option to filter our news feed to show us most recent posts and content first.