The Oh-So-Permanent Thanksgiving Thread

Erine81981

Reaction score
My mom was telling that the reason ABC wouldn't show any of the specials is cause of Political Correctness . Since they talk about the birth of Jesus and since now Halloween is called Fall Festival instead but I don't believe any of that. Why stop showing them now all of a sudden. I was thinking why would my mom say that and the only reason is cause of how ABC and most of the networks talk bad about the president but doesn't really bother me if they don't show them. I have them on DVD plus recorded of the TV with original ads. Doesn't bother me one bit. Just a thought I would throw out there. I'm starting to not like how Thanksgiving gets the short end of the stick every year. I'll still watch my TV specials or TV shows Episodes or movies for Christmas but I'm not going to let Thanksgiving get the short end here! I'm celebrating it in my very own way. That's my two cents! Thanks for whoever reads it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Two other specials that used to be Thanksgiving staples:

Laurel and Hardy “March of the Wooden Soldiers” 1934. Originally called “Babes in Toyland”. It really has not much to do with Thanksgiving, but stations used to stick it on somewhere if you’re tired of football.

“Pinocchio In Outer Space” 1965 Even less to do with counting your blessings, but this little cheapie from the folks at Filmation has a strange charm to it. Part science lesson, part musical, part adventure, part fairy tale.
The wooden boy and his friend Nurtle the Turtle save the earth from a giant atomic whale.
Arnold Stang (Top Cat) voicing Nurtle.
Sadly, no sequel ever materialized.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My mom was telling that the reason ABC wouldn't show any of the specials is cause of Political Correctness . Since they talk about the birth of Jesus and since now Halloween is called Fall Festival instead but I don't believe any of that. Why stop showing them now all of a sudden. I was thinking why would my mom say that and the only reason is cause of how ABC and most of the networks talk bad about the president but doesn't really bother me if they don't show them. I have them on DVD plus recorded of the TV with original ads. Doesn't bother me one bit. Just a thought I would throw out there. I'm starting to not like how Thanksgiving gets the short end of the stick every year. I'll still watch my TV specials or TV shows Episodes or movies for Christmas but I'm not going to let Thanksgiving get the short end here! I'm celebrating it in my very own way. That's my two cents! Thanks for whoever reads it.
Yeah, that isn't the reason at all. ABC's contract to broadcast the specials merely expired, and they clearly had no interest in renewing it.

As for Thanksgiving itself this year, my mom is feeling really disheartened, as she sees more and more of her friends posting on Facebook saying they're basically just giving up on Thanksgiving this year since they can't have any gatherings due to the pandemic, and feel as though there's no point in celebrating at all. It may just be her, myself, and my dad this year, but we're still preparing a Thanksgiving dinner for ourselves, just not as big or plentiful as we normally do when we also get together with my aunt, uncle, and cousins (and occasionally other relatives as well). Just yesterday, I bought a thirteen pound turkey - that should provide us with enough for the dinner itself, and still a few leftovers as well (and it's a lot easier to manage than the 20+ pounders we traditionally cook).

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
My Thanksgiving traditions include having a fancy dinner (when I’d much rather be casual), avoiding the Macy’s parade at all costs, and watching this:
Here’s an Unpopular Opinion. While I love the Peanuts specials (who doesn’t?), I think that the Garfield specials are even better. Maybe it’s because they don’t air them anymore, and that’s makes them even more special to me. Maybe it’s because I like the Garfield comic better than the Peanuts comic. I don’t know, it’s just how I feel.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
My wife has to work, and a few years back that would’ve been me too. Hospital personnel have to work just the same as police, firefighters,EMTs like it’s another day. So we’re having our big dinner on Wednesday.
Just the two of us.
In spite of everything this year, I still have plenty to be thankful for.

Erine81981

Reaction score
My Thanksgiving traditions include having a fancy dinner (when I’d much rather be casual), avoiding the Macy’s parade at all costs, and watching this:
Here’s an Unpopular Opinion. While I love the Peanuts specials (who doesn’t?), I think that the Garfield specials are even better. Maybe it’s because they don’t air them anymore, and that’s makes them even more special to me. Maybe it’s because I like the Garfield comic better than the Peanuts comic. I don’t know, it’s just how I feel.
Same here! Thanksgiving Parade and as many Thanksgiving TV Specials and TV Episodes.

Here's my list of all what I've started watching
Nick's Thanksgiving Feast
Rocko's Modern Life - Turkey Time/Floundering Fathers
All Grown Up - R.V. Having Fun Yet?
Doug - Doug's Thanksgiving
Rugrats - The Turkey Who Came To Dinner
The Wild Thornberrys - A Family Tradition
Kenan and Kel - Turkey Day
Hey Arnold - Arnold's Thanksgiving
Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
Garfield Thanksgiving
B.C. First Thanksgiving
The Mouse and the Mayflower
Bugs Bunny's Thanksgiving Diet
ALF - Turkey in the Straw (Parts 1 and 2)
The Middle - Thanksgiving II
Couger Town - When The Time Comes
Family Guy - Thanksgiving
Suburgatory - Thanksgiving
Modern Family - Pumpkin' Chuckin'
MAD - The Bourne Leg-A-Turkey (Cartoon Network)
The Goldbergs - Stop Auguring & Start Thanksgiving
The Middle - Thanksgiving V
The Neighbors - Thanksgiving Is No Schmunk Bait
Regular Show - The Thanksgiving Special

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
While not a popular episode by all means, Mst3k episode K02 - Revenge of the Mysterons from Mars (it's a thanksgiving related episode).

Erine81981

Reaction score
I said I avoid the parade. It scares me.
Oh sorry that it scares you but never have missed it since the early 2000's. I never got to watch it when I was younger cause we would be going to aunts and uncles and cousins to eat. Ever so often someone might come get me or happen to see me and say lookie there it's Sesame Street or Garfield or Woody Woodpecker and I would say cool! and watch it then go back to either playing or whatever else I might be doing with my cousins or friends