Sesame Street Records Returns

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Is it only at Barns and Noble or is it at other stores that sell CDs?
The CD is a B&N exclusive; you can still download/stream the album elsewhere (the two bonus tracks don't seem worth it).

Erine81981

Reaction score
The CD is a B&N exclusive; you can still download/stream the album elsewhere (the two bonus tracks don't seem worth it).
I just know I want the CD not the downloadable or streaming it. I'm more into the physical media.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, then yes, B&N is the only place to get it (for now, I assume).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There is now a special anniversary album, 50 Years and Counting, available exclusively at Barnes and Noble. Looking at the wiki page, I actually can’t tell if it’s released as an LP as well as a CD.

but the track listing is disappointing (as have most of the Sesame Street Records releases). and not just because there aren’t any new to audio tracks. At first I thought it looked like primarily Platinum and Platinum Too tracks, but there are quite a few covers of kiddie songs not written for the show (many of which I think come from the album Kids Favorite Songs).
Some of the most expected songs are not on there, but even if it’s a case of them wanting to limit the amount of songs included on practically every anniversary release, it’s an odd assortment.

there are two discs, one with a lot of songs, while disc 2 is just two songs, the current Sesame Street theme and Cookie Shark, both of which were released as digital singles a few months back (and were the first new-to-album tracks released in a long time) before being included on the last new release.

With the album sharing it’s title with the recent DVD release, I would think maybe it would have been better to primarily include all the songs on the DVD. It also would have been cool if it’d been a soundtrack to 50th Anniversary Celebration (or at least include many of those recordings). But for an anniversary album, it looks like a disappointing release.

EDIT TO ADD: Looking at the wiki page, I see that it is vinyl, though judging by how it’s written, it seems they are listed as “disc 1” and “disc 2”, as opposed to “side” or “record” 1 and 2. Can “disc” be a proper term for a vinyl release?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After some looking, I was surprised to discover that the 50 Years and Counting album was not actually new (meaning it didn't come out this week when I found out about it), but a few months ago. The wiki just didn't have a page for it. Of course for the most part us fans haven't known about newer Sesame Street albums until after they were released, and the fact that this is a store exclusive might further made it past our radar (there have been store-exclusive DVDs that we didn't know about until they came out).

But I think this is the first physical Sesame Street album that we didn't know about until a few months after it's release. Considering it's marketed as an anniversary release, it is especially sad that it took so long to get a page on Muppet Wiki.

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/50_Years_and_Counting_(album)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There’s a new Apple Music release (I think it’s exclusive to Apple Music) called Sesame Street Cast Essentials. And like with many releases of the last couple of years, it is a letdown.

it seems to be half-true essentials (like Rubber Duckie) and half-stuff I wouldn’t call essentials, like renditions of standard children’s songs done by the Muppets and a lot of original album tracks (ones that are more kiddie). And of course it doesn’t have any tracks that haven’t been released on albums before.

how many times can they do these kinds of albums with only tracks that have been released?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
An improvement over most of the recent Sesame Street Records releases has been announced: There will be a CD release of A Swinging Sesame Street Celebration, with only "It's a Circle" and "Mahna Mahna" absent. I guess "Mahna Mahna" is due to music rights, I wonder what's up with "It's a Circle" being absent (or is it a disc space issue?).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Swinging Sesame Street Celebration album is awesome (I missed the specials broadcast).

On the same day, there was another digital release, Rock and Rhyme with Elmo, a companion piece to the Monster Hits: Rock and Rhyme Video. And it’s like the majority of other Sesame Street Records Albums - just tracks from past albums. With it being a companion album to a recent home video, I’d have thought it’d have the same tracks as the video release (which would have made it A slightly better release).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought the audio release of A Swinging Sesame Street Celebration was from Sesame Street Records, but I watched the special last night and the credits mentioned the album being available from a different record company. I can’t find the record company on my digital release (it does give the copyright to Jazz at Lincoln Center, but I’m pretty sure the record company listed in the specials credits was a different name).

I should have known this wasn’t put out by Sesame Street Records, it’s all new (well, preciously-unavailable) recordings.