COVID-19 Coronavirus News and Updates

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The St. Patrick’s Day parade will be postponed. At least it’s not being cancelled. This is the first incident in the parade’s 259 year history.

But I’ll still be wearing my green tomorrow, and everyone can be an honorary Irishman for a day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, Comcast/xfinity is, surprisingly, doing something very decent amid all of this coronavirus scare: they're not going to be cutting off people's internet services for the next two months (and even better, if you're a new customer/subscriber, they're not going to have you pay for your internet services for the next two months as well).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That is decent of them.
I don’t know how it is down by you, but up here, one county over from me, Comcast has a monopoly. If you want cable or internet, they’re the only game in town. Where I live, Comcast has been trying to compete, but there is also the choice of Fios and Optimum. (I’ve been happy with Optimum for 15 years now).

This will be a time of change for now, and some adjustments will have to be made. But life will still go on. It’s not going to stay this way forever.

one good thing that’s come out of all this, all the memes showing the many uses for the toilet paper people are hoarding. Nifty earrings.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My folks and I have been using Comcast since the tail-end of the 90s (for about three years, we had previously been using the satellite service that was formerly known as PrimeStar), so I really don't know about whatever other options are available out there: I do know that satellite services like Dish Network and DirecTV are big competition around these parts, but from experience, the cons definitely outweigh the pros when it comes to satellite services . . . I can remember as a kid, whenever there would be bad weather, like unpredictable summer thunderstorms driving us neighborhood kids indoors from playing outside, we'd lose our signal/reception, so that's when I would kill time by playing Nintendo or something.

As far as phone services go, however, a company called BellSouth used to have the monopoly in these parts, but I believe they were eventually absorbed by AT&T. We used to use them for our landline, but several years ago, bundled our internet and phone with Comcast . . . which, admittedly, I kind of miss having a separate phone/internet service through the phone company . . . DSL was, surprisingly, a much more reliable internet connection than through the cable company . . . not to mention, the connections were separate, so if, say, if the phone was disconnected, the internet wouldn't be affected, whereas with a bundle service from the cable company, if one thing is disconnected, everything else is too. We still use AT&T for all of our cellphones, and because we've been with the company for so long, they've grandfathered us into their old 10-cents-a-minute plan that we can renew every month - in the long run, it actually does pay to be loyal to a company's service.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here are the highlights from the press conference Trump gave today on the coronavirus, and what he and his Administration are urging of all Americans:
  • Don't go to restaurants, movie theaters, bars, food courts, and any similar establishments
  • Don't travel
  • Avoid public gatherings with more than ten people
  • Airlines will be bailed out
  • Millennials need to care for older relatives and loved one (especially with pre-existing conditions) because they are the more at-risk for the virus
  • Likewise, Millennials are expected to be the saving grace from this virus because they are the largest generation, and are the most social and communicative generation
  • The outbreak could last well into July or August

kathy26

Reaction score
We Need A Vaccine Quick cause i'm panicking about it

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The one thing you youngsters have in your favor, even if you catch the virus, chances of you dying from it is astronomically low.

I’m planning to fly out west in August.
Things should settle down by then. Taking precautions should be enough.

There are some who don’t care about consequences, and will do whatever they please, darn the torpedoes. “One lady said,”They’re not taking away my fun!” If you can find a place that’s open, go for it. After a week or two people will start getting cabin fever.

I know bars and restaurants will be taking a beating. But as soon as things clear up, people who have been cooped up for a while will be out with a vengeance.

kathy26

Reaction score
Yes I know But Here in New Jersey it's over a 100 I just they have a vaccine in the works