Remembering Caroll Spinney (December 26, 1933-December 8, 2019)

Zappetman

Reaction score
This is a theory: Maybe when Wendy Williams met Caroll back in 2012, he told her that cause she has an autistic family member, but he wasn't willing to tell most people.
To be fair Wendy Williams isn't a reliable souce.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Similarly, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died on the same day as well; Farrah was living on borrowed time as it was, so it was clear she was nearing the end of her life, but Michael's death was so sudden and unexpected, so you can imagine whose death got more media attention that day over the other's.
Farrah Fawcett's death was the top trending story on June 25, 2009, but lasted only a few hours as the death of Michael Jackson took over as a trending topic in a big way. People knew Farrah Fawcett was dying, but didn't expect Michael Jackson to pass away. Though I have to admit, I was expecting Michael Jackson to die, just not that soon - it was due to the singer looking frail in an article about his 50th birthday in 2008, which made me wonder if his health was likely in decline by that point. Ten months later, my speculation proved right.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I brought this up on Facebook the other day, I think perhaps the most amazing thing about the timing of everything is that, at least, Caroll lived to see SS turn 50. In fact, when you think about it, he lived to see that all of his wishes were fulfilled: he wished to keep going till Season 40, and he did; he wished to keep going till he couldn't physically do either Big Bird or Oscar anymore, and he did; he wished to stay with the show till Season 50, and he did. His was a fulfilling life, and one that was also a gift for all of us.
I agree completely. To paraphrase "The Muppet Movie" ending "He's done what he's set out to do, thanks to the lovers, the dreamers and you."

Kind of reminds me of what Alex Trebek is going through now, he's on his second round of pancreatic cancer and he knows he's nearing the end of his life but he plans on hosting "Jeopardy!" for as long as he can (including the upcoming prime time tournament). Maybe Alex is following Carroll's example there. :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
A very nice TP article where the staff gives their favorite Caroll songs. They pretty much covered most of my favorite BB/Oscar songs. The only one I can think of that they missed is I'm Sad Because I'm Happy. That song is beautiful, has some great vocals from Oscar and, along with I Love Trash, perfectly sums up his character

MrMuppet93

Reaction score
I re-watched "Getting Ready for School" as a tribute to Caroll's passing last week. I should have paid better attention to this tape for certain things when I was a tyke, and as Big Bird said "You can ask to rewind this machine when we're done if you need help with certain things". I learned to read the "Exit" sign though.

zns

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Museum of the Moving Image will be paying tribute to Caroll in the coming months like they did for Jerry Nelson?

Any Del

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Museum of the Moving Image will be paying tribute to Caroll in the coming months like they did for Jerry Nelson?
They should.

Reactions: zns

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Given the impact that Caroll as Big Bird has to the entire world over I have a feeling that we could be seeing a funeral almost similar to Jim Henson’s, but with the Sesame Street gang involved. Maybe having a random trash can near Sesame Street studios where fans can celebrate the impact of Big Bird has over all of us. I mean that is proper way to pay respects to him, right ?