The new What Made You Smile Today thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I guess not. She did have a thick accent, so maybe her call center is somewhere overseas, and maybe she wasn't that well versed in American customs.
Rule of thumb: If you're going to sell anything, you need to know your market.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I feel bad for telemarketers. That has got to be the most thankless, dead end job out there, with people hanging up on you, being told no (or worse), and dealing with people like me.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I feel bad for telemarketers. That has got to be the most thankless, dead end job out there, with people hanging up on you, being told no (or worse), and dealing with people like me.
yeah, I know somebody who used to be a telemarketer but he quit when he noticed all he was doing was wasting peoples time and he almost never got to actually sell anything

Cookie3001

Reaction score
another day I talked to a telemarketer as Big Bird:wisdom:.The telemarketer said she was calling from Switzerland so I said "My name is Big Bird and I'm calling from Sesame Street", after she asked several times if I wanted to buy the product I said "I'm only 6 years old and Gordon says I'm too young to spend money on my own, besides I wouldn't be able to use what you are selling but we can still be friends" and she probably knew what I was up to because she hung up after that

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
another day I talked to a telemarketer as Big Bird:wisdom:.The telemarketer said she was calling from Switzerland so I said "My name is Big Bird and I'm calling from Sesame Street", after she asked several times if I wanted to buy the product I said "I'm only 6 years old and Gordon says I'm too young to spend money on my own, besides I wouldn't be able to use what you are selling but we can still be friends" and she probably knew what I was up to because she hung up after that
See? That's the object of the game. Get them to hang up on you. You won that round! Cheers!

One time a telemarketer was trying to sell me vitamins. Halfway through her spiel I asked her if she took them.
"No".
"Then how do you expect anyone to buy something you wouldn't use yourself? That gives you zero credibility!"
Before she can get another word in, I steamrolled her.
"So, to bring your credibility up toa respectable level, you're gonnaeed some vitamins yourself. How many cases can I put you down for? And what's your Visa number and expiration date? Go slow so I get the numbers right!"

click!

Was it something I said?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As fun as this all sounds, it's actually a bad idea to answer calls from telemarketers and scammers like that - by answering their calls, that's going to show in their database that yours is an legitimate, active phone number, so it's going to spread to other systems out there, which means you'll just get even more calls from other phishing companies out there looking to scam you.

There's no actual guarantee, but by not answering their calls, it could indicate that it's an inactive or dead number, which means it's far less likely to be passed along to other operations out there.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That is true, and I haven't had any telemarketers for a long time. But back in the early 200s, it was great sport to have a telemarketer hang up on you and reconsider his career options.

Nowadays I'm more careful. Any number I don't recognize, who doesn't leave a message does not get called back. And it's easy to google a number, or more specifically, go to whitepages. com to see if they got red flagged or not.

Back in 90s when landlines still existed, it was easier to get prank phone calls. The Jerky Boys got two albums and a movie out of prank calls. Best of all was Crank Yonkers, phony phone calls made by puppets. It was fun while it lasted.