It's Official: Caroll Spinney retires from Sesame Street after nearly 50 years

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
You know what's interesting, and kind of ironic? Now that Matt and Eric have inherited Big Bird and Oscar, when you think about it, they both perform Kermit and Miss Piggy now. So essentially, they now are officially playing the two perhaps most historically important characters from both the Muppets and the Sesame franchise. That's a huge step.

And today is Caroll's last day of doing voices for the show. :frown:
Just curious to know where you found that piece of info out.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
You know what's interesting, and kind of ironic? Now that Matt and Eric have inherited Big Bird and Oscar, when you think about it, they both perform Kermit and Miss Piggy now. So essentially, they now are officially playing the two perhaps most historically important characters from both the Muppets and the Sesame franchise. That's a huge step.

And today is Caroll's last day of doing voices for the show. :frown:
I was wondering about that too since as of season 48, we really haven't heard Carroll as his characters in new material. Does anyone know when we'll hear the last of Carroll's performances. Season 50 premiere or before then? (I know SS seasons are recorded quite some time ahead of time so I thought I'd ask about that.) I know he was trying to make the 50 year mark but we're not quite there yet. Just kind of curious here.

Any Del

Reaction score
As a long time Sesame Street fan, I want to thank you Caroll Spinney for all the wonderful 50 years you have provided for us. Been there for us during good times, bad times, rainy days and sunny days. Being as the fun filled 8ft yellow bird and the dismal grouch has impacted our lives! I wish you a great retirement. Sir, I salute you! :wisdom: :grouchy:

Last edited:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I think as long as Disney had a say, it probably wouldn't have happened anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I dunno. I mean, they were wanting to have Elmo make an appearance in THE MUPPETS (2011), but apparently couldn't afford to.