VIDEO: Brett McKenzie interviews Ernie and Kermit at the same time!

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Wow, this is awesome! Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've never had a Kermit/Ernie interaction before (due to fairly obvious reasons). I wonder... how did they get away with this, with Kermit being owned by Disney and Ernie being owned by Sesame Workshop?

I have to say, though, I feel like Peter's not completely there with Ernie. His voice had a sort of quality to it that didn't sound like Ernie. But that could be because he's interacting with Kermit, another Jim character. But anyway, what a great appearance, I wish they did more stuff like this!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Dwayne, please stop using that clip. The real fans know that voice changes are inevitable. I honestly am happy that Kermit and Ernie are played by different people, otherwise we wouldn't get this.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Dwayne, please stop using that clip. The real fans know that voice changes are inevitable. I honestly am happy that Kermit and Ernie are played by different people, otherwise we wouldn't get this.
What surprises me is how "real fans" care less about the voices and characters being off, but hey that's just me.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
What surprises me is how "real fans" care less about the voices and characters being off, but hey that's just me.
Keep this discussion from Steve and Eric in mind whenever you think a voice sounds off:

Interviewer: You clearly come close to the voice, but I'm wondering if you ever made any effort to differentiate yourself a little bit.

Steve: No, but I can't help it. I'm not a mimic, really.

Interviewer: I mean, it's pretty close.

Steve: It's in the same ballpark, and it's been 26 years, so I think people have grown accustomed to it. I had a lot of criticism in the beginning and I understand it. I'd walk into a room, and people would say "You sound exactly like Jim" and then people would say "You don't sound anything like Jim". One of the most embarrassing things I did, in the early days we did this phone-in radio thing, to these kinda shock-jocks. So they weren't very nice people to begin with. And they were talking to Kermit, and they spent the whole interview saying "You don't sound anything like Kermit" to Kermit. It was so hard. What could I do? I had to say it was Kermit. So I get it. But we don't have any choice. I hear a lot of people writing or talking online about Jim's Kermit, or Frank's Fozzie or Frank's Piggy vs. Eric's Piggy. And from our point of view, I understand that, but it's a non-existent difference. There's no Frank's Piggy, it's Piggy. And that's the way we have to approach it. Because it doesn't get shared. This is who she is now. They do have to evolve. That's really important.

Eric: Yeah, evolve is the right word. Obviously, these characters are gonna be different on our hands than our predecessors. But we're accepting of that. It was hard for me at first, because I wanted to be able to fool people. And maybe you can do that for a little while, but eventually especially with the Internet these days, people are gonna know. And so I had to come to terms with that, and realize that I'm not Frank. And nobody can be somebody else. But perhaps Piggy can still be Piggy, and be a little bit different than she was before but totally in-character. Totally a character that you can believe in, and continue to believe in and be entertained by.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I honestly believe they sound more like Henson's characters than when Steve was doing both of them. Now you can actually notice a more clear difference between the two characters. Kermit was always a little deeper and funnier sounding, while Ernie was a little higher pitched and childlike. Always a treat to see Muppets ad-lib, but even more so to see a post-Disney-buyout crossover with Kermit and the Sesame characters. It's been a long time coming, but worth the while!