What made you roll your eyes today thread?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Okay, after a little bit of research, I've figured out what the problem is. . . .

This particular update is a "patch update" that's supposed to work as a "compatibility update," meaning it's Microsoft's way of trying to put PCs still running Windows 7 or 8 into something of a transitional mode to prepare them for 10.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...6978-2977759-and-windows-journal-3170735.html

It's ironic how I've read so many blogs and articles that are like, "I upgraded my version of Windows, and was so relieved that nothing went missing during the update. I left some programs and windows open just to see, and they were just as I left them." Yeah, again, this particular update is almost like a factory resetting, because almost everything is wiped out. Both times this has happened, all of my personal files, folders, and such were completely gone; but the first time it happened, at least my wallpaper hadn't been changed, though I had no internet access (not even IE), and some of my Adobe programs were still installed; this time, I still had all of my installed browsers (IE, Opera, and Chrome), but even the wallpaper was reset, and all of my installed programs were gone.

Granted, I'm actually able to back things up now, so it's not like it would be a total loss: things like Audacity, Spybot, and VLC Player are free, so I could easily re-install them; likewise, I have Adobe's Creative Cloud service, so it would be just as easy to re-install those programs, and basically re-import files and folders I've backed up . . . but why would I want to basically redo everything on my computer as it was before? Right down to recreating my saved themes/resolution/layout/etc. all over again? Again, I'm lucky enough all I've had to do it do a System Restore and boom, everything's back to normal. But this is exactly why on my old computer (which ran XP), I wouldn't update, because I couldn't back anything up - certainly not the programs I was using since at the time, I didn't have Creative Cloud, and all of the now-Adobe programs I had installed were done so from a loaner installation CD back when many of those programs were owned by Macromedia.

But yeah, I'm just keeping Windows Update turned off at this point.
Why don't you upgrade to Windows 10?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy with 7. I've heard nothing but mixed reviews about 10 (and this after mostly negative reviews about 8), not to mention it would seem 7 has at least a couple of good years left before Microsoft apparently drops support for it altogether.

That, and I like my computer to behave like a computer, not like a computer that's trying to behave like a tablet or a tablet trying to pass itself off as a computer. 7 is really the last Windows OS that's basically designed to work as a computer OS - 8 and 10 were designed more with tablets in mind.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I used Windows 7 for years up until sometime last year and even my old high school still used it at the time when I went there.

Now that the school is getting done over (it's expected to be done by sometime this year), it's most likely going to be Windows 10.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
windows 10 has its flaws but its nowhere near as bad as that unholy abomination that was windows 8. it might have been designed for tablets but it still wasnt tablet friendly...i had a touchscreen netbook and still couldnt navigate it

D'Snowth

Reaction score
windows 10 has its flaws but its nowhere near as bad as that unholy abomination that was windows 8.
That's what I was saying: from what I've seen and heard, the reviews for 10 was far more mixed than they were for 8, which were all mostly negative. It's like 8 was Vista redux -- remember how much everybody hated Vista? Thankful I never had to endure that one.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
I don't do Windows.

Unless I can't do it on my Mac (such as my old Oregon Trail CD Rom from 1995)

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Macs are overpriced paperweights

I say this as I type from an overpriced pc

Yay im a hypocrite *shot*

But after the hassle i had with my mom's iphone 10 i think i now forever have a biased grudge against apple products

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We used Macs when I was in school . . . I remember when the iMac was brand new when I was in middle school, and, admittedly, iMac was a very sleek, slick, and attractive computer: the see-through monitor that came in different colors, the round, circular mouse - at that time, it seemed to high-tech and state-of-the-art after years of those old clunky grayish boxes.

That being said, I don't know, there's something impersonal about Macs in general - can't exactly put my finger on why . . . it could be a subconscious thing, considering it seemed like Macs were always "work" computers, while PCs were more-or-less "home" computers.