The Steven Universe thread

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
This is an unrelated post made by D'Snowth in another thread, but I thought I'd share it here:
As I said, I feel that's really a problem with the sequels, is they keep adding so many unnecessary side characters. I mean, just looking at the trailer for the new one, what started out as three characters has now exploded into three times as many. I don't see how they can keep track of so many characters. . . . after all, that's one of the reasons why M*A*S*H wasn't successful its first season: too many minor, secondary characters to keep track of.
Unlike many movie sequels, I think Steven Universe is very good at handling their supporting/side characters. Sure, there's many of them, both gem and human - like the residents of Beach City for example - but they're all unique. They each have their own personalities and traits, and they're not generic cookie-cutter characters created only to occupy space or to be someone's love interest.

According to Rebecca Sugar, nearly every character on SU is important in some way. Even Ronaldo is important, because he's the one that foreshadowed the Diamonds at the end of 'Keep Beach City Weird'. Marty is important, too, because when you think about it, if it weren't for him, Greg wouldn't have met Rose, and furthermore, Steven wouldn't have been born.

On a side note, Rebecca once stated that each character has appeared/will appear more than once, which means that the Zircons and the Off Colors will most likely be back sometime in Season 5.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
So I just came across these on YouTube:
This is pretty much my reaction:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
One of my biggest frustrations with the show is the fact that Peedee hasn't had much development the whole show. He had an interesting story about coming closer to his father and growing up all the way back in season 1 with Frybo. I thought his character and the episode were very compelling, but that was it. Sure he still shows up occasionally, but he's never an important part of the story. Somehow, his brother, arguably the only character with little to no character development at all, keeps getting episodes centered around him. You would think Peedee would get more to do, especially since he's one of Steven's only friends close to his age.

mr3urious

Reaction score
One of my biggest frustrations with the show is the fact that Peedee hasn't had much development the whole show. He had an interesting story about coming closer to his father and growing up all the way back in season 1 with Frybo. I thought his character and the episode were very compelling, but that was it. Sure he still shows up occasionally, but he's never an important part of the story. Somehow, his brother, arguably the only character with little to no character development at all, keeps getting episodes centered around him. You would think Peedee would get more to do, especially since he's one of Steven's only friends close to his age.
I see what you mean. Maybe the writers find Ronaldo more fun to write for. Either way, Peedee should hopefully get more screen time and development, as the writers did for Connie, Mr. Smiley, Onion, Sour Cream, and others.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
I agree, I miss Peedee. And I also kinda liked how waaaay back around "Frybo", before Connie was introduced, Peedee seemed like one of Steven's closest friends. But now, like you said, he hardly shows up at all, except for cameos in the background. I hope he gets some more screen time in season 5, WHEN SU FINALLY COMES BACK.

Also, on a related note, I hate it when people call episodes that focus on the humans instead of the gems "filler". Just... really?? It's called character development, not "filler". SU dosen't have to be deep and plot-heavy in every frickin' episode. Sometimes, we just need some breather eps after all the crazy stuff. OKAY? *panting, out of breath* Phew. I really needed to get that rant out.

snichols1973

Reaction score
I caught a subtle reference to S.U. on "The List" episode of The Amazing World of Gumball, when Gumball was attempting a strange type of first aid, and he asked for "two amethysts and a lapis lazuli"...

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Well, looks like we got another new trailer!
Apparently, the new episodes will air on the Cartoon Network app first, and then air on the actual channel later on. That sucks for those who don't have the app, including me. :frown:
I caught a subtle reference to S.U. on "The List" episode of The Amazing World of Gumball, when Gumball was attempting a strange type of first aid, and he asked for "two amethysts and a lapis lazuli"...
Well, he could have just been referring to the actual gemstones, but given that SU and AWOG are on the same channel, you never know...

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well, looks like we got another new trailer!
Apparently, the new episodes will air on the Cartoon Network app first, and then air on the actual channel later on. That sucks for those who don't have the app, including me. :frown:
I probably shouldn't be telling you this but, almost every time new episodes premiere on the app, someone on YouTube usually uploads them soon after in very good quality.