Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Muppet Master

Reaction score
*** HAS CHERYL HENSON DONE FOR THOSE CHARACTERS SINCW 1990 HER TWO BROTHERS KEPT THE MUPPETS A FOALT YOU ABANDONED THEM ONCE AND THEN AS SOON AS THEY BOUGHT THEM BACK THEY SHIP THEM DOWN TO DISNEY.
SO SHE HAS NO IMPUT ON WHAT GOES ON ANYMORE
Thank you! I was tempted to post something like that. What has she done for the characters? Why does her input matter?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Some person on the ToughPigs forum said,

''Truth be told-- and I'm not allowed to say who this is from-- but the Henson family and Frank Oz were never impressed with Steve's version of Kermit.''

So why was he casted???
First of all, UGH, I hate anonymous sources, because you never know if they're true or not.
But, second, I really hope Steve was aware of all this already, otherwise I imagine all of this coming out at once would really do a number on his ego.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Some person on the ToughPigs forum said,

''Truth be told-- and I'm not allowed to say who this is from-- but the Henson family and Frank Oz were never impressed with Steve's version of Kermit.''

So why was he casted???
Good question. And the way Kermit was portrayed in some of the media, it confirms my theory. It's the way it was written. IMHO, this is starting to look like
"He Said/She Said," so now I don't know who to believe. But I kind of agree with whoever it was that said if Cheryl, Frank, and the rest of the Henson family wasn't impressed with Steve, and how Steve always had issues with Disney, why wait until NOW to get him out of there? It's been 27 years, and if he was always acting out, or the family didn't like how he did Kermit, why in the world did they wait this long to recast? Something's not right here.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To rephrase what I said a couple of years back, Disney is the one who won't bring in Muppet writers to work on any of these projects, and I honestly believe that's what's hurting the Muppets more than anything.

As for the Muppet Thought of the Week, didn't Oscarfan say it would be delayed till Thursday?

gravy

Reaction score
This is seriously getting annoying. It's never going to be easy to fill in the role of Kermit the frog. Steve tried his best and did very well in my opinion. I'd like to see Frank oz or any of the henson family perform kermit.
In an interview with Brian in 1990, he said if he did it'd be very emotional.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the Hollywood Reporter article (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...g-actor-unacceptable-business-conduct-1021701) was linked yet, but this excerpt stood out to me;

"Whitmire, who was asked to take over Kermit by Henson's family after the creator's untimely death in 1990, said that an instance of a note was over a script for the new ABC series, canceled last year, in which Kermit lied to his nephew, Robin, about his breakup with Miss Piggy.

"I don't think Kermit would lie to him," Whitmire explained. "I think that is Robin came to Kermit he would say 'things happen, people go their separate ways, but that doesn't mean we don't care about you.' Kermit is too compassionate to lie to him to spare his feelings."

He continued, "We have been doing these characters for a long, long time and we know them better than anybody. I thought I was aiding to keep it on track and I think a big reason why the show was canceled (after one season last fall) was because that didn't happen. I am not saying my notes would have saved it, but I think had they listened more to all of the performers, it would have made a really big difference.'"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't believe Cheryl Henson had talked this way about Steve.

However, Steve did say in a Muppet Central interview that he'd heard that Jim told a few people that he wanted Steve to take over Kermit if he was unable to, and there was an interview with Jane Henson from 1990 saying that Jim told her who he would want to take over if he was no longer able to perform.