Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Huh. I guess the rumors were true. I really wonder why Steve is out; I don't think it can be at his own accord.

I wish Matt the best of luck and I hope we can all adjust. Something of note, Steve took over Kermit at 31, Matt is doing it at 47. Who knows how long this could last. And how this will affect his time at Sesame.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Matt's a really great, versatile performer, and he's done such a great job with Jerry's characters (which is no easy task, since Jerry had a unique voice). I'm sure he'll do well with Kermit, but as I've mentioned throughout the years on MC, I feel like David Rudman probably could do a decent Kermit - his Peter Cratchit voice in MCC sounded a lot like Kermit.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oh my God! This is shocking. There were rumors that I didn't want to be true, and they were even dismissed by guys who worked with the Muppets. I can't believe this is happening.
Steve is one of my two favorite performers. I grew up with him. I can't imagine getting used to another performer taking over his characters; not just Kermit, but especially Rizzo, the character he created. Steve was still at the top of his game, and since The Muppets, Muppets Most Wanted, and the recent TV show he's delivered some of his best performances.

I just hope he's happy in his next phase of life and wasn't fired like earlier rumors stated. As depressed as I am, I can only imagine how @JimAndFrank must be feeling. :frown:

kbug67

Reaction score
Sad news to hear, I know for a lot of people who were born in the 90s Steve was Kermit to them. And for all those who remember the anxiety of somebody taking over from Jim, Steve did a very good job, Muppet Christmas Carol is now an annual event for me. Wishing the new performer all the best in the role, big shoes to follow but talented in own right and im sure he'll do a great job, as Steve did taking over from Jim.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Get used to the Constantine jokes, folks. You're going to be seeing a lot of them from fans now. :stick_out_tongue:
Heh, yeah. But you know, it's funny. I actually said back when I first saw MMW that Matt's Kermit impression was pretty spot on (especially in The Interrogation Song).
Huh. I guess the rumors were true. I really wonder why Steve is out; I don't think it was of his own accord.

I wish Matt the best of luck and I hope we can all adjust. Something of note, Steve took over Kermit at 31, Matt is doing it at 47. Who knows how long this could last. And how this will affect his time at Sesame.
Dang it Shane! You just had to make this worse, didn't you?!? lol.
But let's focus on Steve now. Lets try our best not to be sad over the matter, but rather happily remember those great Steve characters and moments that he gave us over the years. :smile:

Oh, and please give Matt encouragement. Yes, it will take some getting used to, but I for one have a lot of confidence in him.
Giving Matt encouragement, that I can do. But, being happy right now about the "good old days" kind of feels like forcing yourself not to mourn when a loved one passes.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Wow. This is absolutely shocking. I guess the first "big production" we are going to see with this new lineup will be at the Hollywood Bowl. As much as I really want to know the reason why Steve left, the hesitation for people to spill the beans makes me a bit worried. Thank you, Steve, for many years of memories. Also, best of luck to Matt.

Edit: I was scrolling through Reddit, and found some more details. Over two months ago, a user by the name of "muppetmaker" clearly stated that when Steve's characters returned, they would sound different. They also just said today that there were 3 people in consideration for the role of Kermit, and Matt was the right choice. They also mentioned something about a "constant battle with Disney"

Last edited:

gravy

Reaction score
Edit: I was scrolling through Reddit, and found some more details. Over two months ago, a user by the name of "muppetmaker" clearly stated that when Steve's characters returned, they would sound different. They also just said today that there were 3 people in consideration for the role of Kermit, and Matt was the right choice. They also mentioned something about a "constant battle with Disney"
Can you find the link?