The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My gosh, this thing looks like something you'd see on ROBOT CHICKEN:

Even all the comments are like, "Aww, I thought this would be a cute kids/Disney movie, but. . . ."

Granted, the animation is really spectacular and all, but this is like if Black Friday reel of the original TOY STORY had a subplot about toys that go home with Sid, ripped off with food instead of toys, and turned into a raunchy, R-rated comedy. Notice how the hot dogs are specifically refered to as "sausages," and the buns are designed to look like certain female anatomy.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Even all the comments are like, "Aww, I thought this would be a cute kids/Disney movie, but. . . ."

Granted, the animation is really spectacular and all, but this is like if Black Friday reel of the original TOY STORY had a subplot about toys that go home with Sid, ripped off with food instead of toys, and turned into a raunchy, R-rated comedy. Notice how the hot dogs are specifically refered to as "sausages," and the buns are designed to look like certain female anatomy.
While I would really like to see more R-rated animated films produced in America (or in Canada in this instance), I'd prefer stuff like A Scanner Darkly which can go for dramatic, mature (and truly mature at that) subject matter. This, like you said, feels more like an extended Robot Chicken or Family Guy cutscene with its deconstructive style, and I'm not sure how all this raunch can hold itself for a feature length run time, if the trailer is anything to go by.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
My gosh, this thing looks like something you'd see on ROBOT CHICKEN:

This...actually looks spectacular. It's like...if FoodFight went "all the way". Sure it's crude sure it's crass but hey, i'm sure they had a heck of a lot of fun animating....whatever the frog THAT is.
A labor of love I'll bet...

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I would really like to see more R-rated animated films produced in America (or in Canada in this instance), I'd prefer stuff like A Scanner Darkly which can go for dramatic, mature (and truly mature at that) subject matter. This, like you said, feels more like an extended Robot Chicken or Family Guy cutscene with its deconstructive style, and I'm not sure how all this raunch can hold itself for a feature length run time, if the trailer is anything to go by.
I'm mixed about it as well. It has a very obvious deconstruction angle and it looks like a brutal slaughtering of kiddy movie tropes of the past 15 or so years. Then again, Simpsons kinda did it twice in separate episodes, and they only needed a few minutes of footage. I love the concept hacking away at the anthropomorphic food thing, even though M&M's did that for a while. The trailer looks like it could be a fun movie. I'm just wondering how it'll work as a film, since you only really need the trailer to get the parody aspect.

Then again, this thing is directed by Conrad Vernon (among other credits, Madagascar, and he was the voice of Mason the Chimp in those films and Rico in the POM movie because they couldn't get John DiMaggio for some reason). So I've got some faith in it.

But yeah. We need more "adult" animated films out there. Adult animation has been a thing since at least Beavis and Butt-head (Simpsons is a grey area, as it was considered kid friendly enough to be a Family show and have kid friendly merch since the beginning). The only adult animated fare before was flop films trying to cash in off of Fritz the Cat. I watched Cinema Snob a LOT lately for some reason and caught his Down and Dirty Duck review. And it looks like something I should be into because of the abstract student film type of animation, but it just looks like a student film that goes on far too long and tries to be Easy Riders somehow. Then there's the elusive dub of Osamu Tetzuka's Cleopatra film that put emphasis on the fact Cleo had to seduce all these European conquerors to get ahead. But if that were popular, someone would point out how Avatar ripped them off.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember a waaaaaay back when I mentioned that Vanguard animation was in the process of making a Squirrel nut heist movie, and then The Nut Job happened? Well... apparently, it wasn't scrapped.

Now, the animation is below TV cartoon episode quality, obviously. But I have to admit, conceptually, this seems like they're using it better than Nut Job did. That's not saying much (and I still have to force myself through that on Netflix so I can complain about it with substance). Though it is Vanguard animation. A really bad studio that makes bad films that somehow John Cleese keeps getting roped into doing.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Remember a waaaaaay back when I mentioned that Vanguard animation was in the process of making a Squirrel nut heist movie, and then The Nut Job happened? Well... apparently, it wasn't scrapped.

Now, the animation is below TV cartoon episode quality, obviously. But I have to admit, conceptually, this seems like they're using it better than Nut Job did. That's not saying much (and I still have to force myself through that on Netflix so I can complain about it with substance). Though it is Vanguard animation. A really bad studio that makes bad films that somehow John Cleese keeps getting roped into doing.
The people who made Space Chimps... And all those other crap movies... They're still in Business. Their website looks like the people who ran it forgot it existed last time I checked! Why are they ripping off The Nut Job! How low can you go? But yeah, at least the concept is better, but last time I checked, Vanguard's animation was only slightly below average, not this

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why are they ripping off The Nut Job! How low can you go? But yeah, at least the concept is better, but last time I checked, Vanguard's animation was only slightly below average, not this
They actually had this concept in production since before The Nut Job manifested itself somehow. I can't exactly say where I remember reading that from, either TVTropes or Wikipedia. Somehow they managed to get this thing out somewhere, so they didn't exactly slam shut on production of this thing. Or maybe they did and picked it back up, which explains the TV cartoon look of the whole thing.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Still, I remember there was a 3 movie pack with Barnyard, something that was good I can't remember at the top of my head, and that boring Yogi Bear movie at Target. Barnyard isn't a bad film, it's nothing special and the animated series that resulted from it was surprisingly good. I'd almost have bought the thing (Hey! It was only 10 bucks), but Barnyard was in full frame, and nothing can justify me owning Yogi Bear no matter HOW big a Hanna Barbera fan I am (though, to be fair, I'd rather watch that whole plodding mess again than a second of freaking Yo Yogi). And I can't for the life of me remember what the other film was.
I think I've seen that pack too. I've never watched Barnyard before, but I've seen the DVD at my friend's house, and have seen the TV show.
I saw trailers for Rango back when it came out but never actually saw the thing.
And Yogi Bear...I saw a second of that on the Hub once. It was awful, just plain awful. They roped Justin Timberlake into it, too. And I agree with you - I'd watch the entire thing than a second of freaking Yo Yogi. Yo Yogi is a disgrace.

Who has high hopes for the Captain Underpants film DreamWorks is making? It'll be better than Boss Baby and especially Trolls.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looking at RACHET & CLANK, it somehow reminds me a little or ROBOTS, and this 2000s Canadian movie called PINOCCHIO 3000 that had some ARTHUR voice actors in it, including Arthur's mom voicing Pinocchio, Buster's mom as an expy of Dexter's computer, and Marina as the evil mayor's daughter.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I think I've seen that pack too. I've never watched Barnyard before, but I've seen the DVD at my friend's house, and have seen the TV show.
I saw trailers for Rango back when it came out but never actually saw the thing.
And Yogi Bear...I saw a second of that on the Hub once. It was awful, just plain awful. They roped Justin Timberlake into it, too. And I agree with you - I'd watch the entire thing than a second of freaking Yo Yogi. Yo Yogi is a disgrace.

Who has high hopes for the Captain Underpants film DreamWorks is making? It'll be better than Boss Baby and especially Trolls.
I do!