Dreamworks' "Home" to become a Netflix series

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Netflix and Dreamworks are working on yet another series. We have Netflix series based on "Turbo", "The Croods", "How to Train Your Dragon" ,Peabody and Sherman" and now this.
Personally, I find this to be an odd choice. The movie was pretty mediocre in my opinion, but maybe the concept will work better as a show.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/netflix-home-series-dreamworks-animation-1201743080/

And NO, THIS IS NOT an April Fools joke.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought the movie was excellent at least for trying to be something completely different than the usual Dreamworks film. It was essentially a road picture featuring a little girl and an alien, with a message about imperialism. I like how the film was an intimate story between two characters, and it also managed to one up Pixar at least in one aspect... a main human character that wasn't Caucasian. I can't say it was the greatest thing they ever did, but it wasn't the major pop culture type thing that they'd usually make.

As for a show, well... I needn't go on about how Turbo was an alright film with a stupid concept that the voice actors pretty much carried, that actually worked better as a cartoon series that did better with the concept. Strangely, Turbo slowly became a minor character in season 3.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I thought the movie was excellent at least for trying to be something completely different than the usual Dreamworks film. It was essentially a road picture featuring a little girl and an alien, with a message about imperialism. I like how the film was an intimate story between two characters, and it also managed to one up Pixar at least in one aspect... a main human character that wasn't Caucasian. I can't say it was the greatest thing they ever did, but it wasn't the major pop culture type thing that they'd usually make.

As for a show, well... I needn't go on about how Turbo was an alright film with a stupid concept that the voice actors pretty much carried, that actually worked better as a cartoon series that did better with the concept. Strangely, Turbo slowly became a minor character in season 3.
Yeah, I loved the animation, character designs and overall look of the movie. And I thought the story was a pretty good idea, I also enjoyed the fact that the film was more subtle than many of their previous ones and starred a not only strong female protagonist, but also a non-white one. But it was still pretty disappointing that one of the studio's very few non sequel movies fell flat.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For me, I could have done with a better voice cast other than Jim Parsons (who's rather overrated) and Rihanna (who's just plain trash). But then again, was there any real reason Road Chip had to replace Amy Poehler with Kaley Cuoco? Not that I cared to see the movie, but still don't really like Kaley being associated with the Chipmunk franchise.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I like the stylized look of the characters. Reminds me a lot of Flapjack, which is no surprise as it's being co-developed by Thurop Van Orman. Also, Wayne Knight will be among the cast, which should be worth a watch for him alone. :smile:

C to the J

Reaction score
Seems to me Matt Jones will reprise his role as Kyle (the mid-level traffic Boov). He has this recognizable voice you just love to hear. When I hear it, I think of Hector from Sanjay and Craig, Pig of Pig Goat Banana Cricket, and even Drip in Planes: Fire and Rescue. Sometimes I think of him as a successor to Marty Ingels.

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Seems to me Matt Jones will reprise his role as Kyle (the mid-level traffic Boov). He has this recognizable voice you just love to hear. When I hear it, I think of Hector from Sanjay and Craig, Pig of Pig Goat Banana Cricket, and even Drip in Planes: Fire and Rescue. Sometimes I think of him as a successor to Marty Ingels.
I'll always know him as Gunther from "Kick Buttowski".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I loved the animation, character designs and overall look of the movie. And I thought the story was a pretty good idea, I also enjoyed the fact that the film was more subtle than many of their previous ones and starred a not only strong female protagonist, but also a non-white one. But it was still pretty disappointing that one of the studio's very few non sequel movies fell flat.

I have the same feeling about this movie that I did Good Dinosaur. It felt like it needed something, but I just couldn't put my finger on what. I read the original concepts for Good Dinosaur and feel that what they took out of the movie wasn't what made the film feel lacking, but rather if they were in the film it would have been busy and routine for that sort of thing. I give Home all the credit in the world for trying something different. I can't say It's my favorite, I like it around the level I like Croods, more than I liked Over the Hedge, but no where near Madagascar 3, HTTYD, or KFP territory.

For me, I could have done with a better voice cast other than Jim Parsons (who's rather overrated) and Rihanna (who's just plain trash).
I found Jim to be perfectly cast, if anything he's very much alien sounding. If you're going to have a movie about an awkward alien that doesn't seem to fit in anywhere, you might as well get someone who essentially plays the same thing in a sitcom. Though other than said sitcom, the only other places I've seen him are in a movie about the AIDS epidemic in the 80's and that odd TV version of the musical version of Elf. Rhinanna was actually surprisingly good as a little girl. Dreamworks has been known to have gimmicky celebrity voice actors over the years to the point of parody, but I found the choices to be more or less wise. Certainly not as awkward as Will Smith or Rene Zelweiger in Sharktale. To say the least of the Sinbad animated movie cast featuring pretty people with unremarkable voices. They've been much better as of late. I think that they had a real epiphany about that with Shrek 4 where the villain was supposed to be Paul McCartney but the temp track VA did a much better job.

As for this being made into a cartoon series, Home was pretty much the most successful domestic film Dreamworks had in a while. Then again, they pretty much planned some of their cartoons during the production of the film. There's a show called "Trollhunters" in the pipeline that's clearly a spinoff of the upcoming Trolls movie. And all the raves I give the Turbo series over the movie, it gave characters the chance to be given depth. Skidmark did nothing in the movie except be there, but they expanded his role in the cartoon to be a paranoid conspiracy nut who's obsessed with cryptids. Flanderization, maybe, but certainly better than the flat character from the film. Maybe we'll get some expanded versions of background aliens from the film to round out the cast.