Dreamworks' "Home" to become a Netflix series

mr3urious

Reaction score
Dreamworks has been known to have gimmicky celebrity voice actors over the years to the point of parody, but I found the choices to be more or less wise. Certainly not as awkward as Will Smith or Rene Zelweiger in Sharktale. To say the least of the Sinbad animated movie cast featuring pretty people with unremarkable voices. They've been much better as of late.
I also felt that Reese Witherspoon was unremarkable as Ginormica in Monsters vs. Aliens. The other celebrities carried the film better, especially Stephen Colbert, Hugh Laurie, and Will Arnett. Maybe because those guys have their roots in comedy and have more of a knack for voice acting.

Maybe we'll get some expanded versions of background aliens from the film to round out the cast.
Maybe we'll even get to see more backstory of Tip and her mom, which we only got little breadcrumbs of in the film.

C to the J

Reaction score
Perhaps we'll also learn what happened to Mr. Tucci, if that happens to be the surname passed on to the wife and daughter. Who knows?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also felt that Reese Witherspoon was unremarkable as Ginormica in Monsters vs. Aliens. The other celebrities carried the film better, especially Stephen Colbert, Hugh Laurie, and Will Arnett. Maybe because those guys have their roots in comedy and have more of a knack for voice acting.
Who played her in the animated series? I think she did a better job. Reese was just there for the sake of having a name, even though every other celebrity in that film just really sold it. Reese was just woman sounding, like any actress could have played her. And yes, I'm not a huge fan of Reese. I think the celebrity voice actors first backfired on them back when they were doing Traditionally animated movies after a while. I mean, Road to El Dorado's cast sold it, and like I said not so much Sinbad, where they could have been any body and the characters would be the same. Then you have Kung Fu Panda which was Jack Black. I mean, they could have used Chris Farley if he was still alive (but he would have been Shrek), but Jack Black is Po and visa versa. Not that the soundalike they use for cartoons and commercials isn't an eerie match. Bee Movie was pretty much made by Jerry Seinfeld to the part it's an environmental movie made out of stand up routine of his, and that's a point of contention about the film, I guess. I don't know who else would have been good for O. I mean, if it was made in the 90's, it would have obviously been Eddie Deezen. They could have gotten someone really annoying to make him a much more spazzed out character, but I think they made the right choice. If not him, it was going to be one of the Big Bang nerds.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Okay, I found out Trollhunters has nothing to do with the upcoming Trolls movie. It was a series that was to be a movie by Guillermo Del Toro that somehow got passed over. So yay that it found life as a cartoon series, but BOOO that Trolls is a movie and Trollhunters isn't.
Trollhunters looks really awesome, and it should be as it comes from the guy who gave us Pan's Labyrinth. Trolls should have been the Netflix show instead. :grr:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Dreamworks Trolls movie sounds like a Fox's Dragon Ball Evolution situation. As in, they bought the rights to a movie and had to fart one out before the license expired. At least, that's what I came to the conclusion of why DBE happened, as they bought the rights at the start of the 1990's anime boom and just sat on it until the thing that happened with Watchman happened.

Trolls was supposed to be essentially a The Smurfs CGI hybrid movie ripoff. And you can tell that there was something trying to get the Troll fad started back up with the odd manifestation of Troll stuff at Target, you know, to reintroduce the property.

It's becoming obvious with Me and my Shadow and B.O.O. that Dreamworks is becoming way too cautious about the movies it produces. I think that's the reason why Trollhunters didn't get a film, but "contractual obligation" and/or "wasted license money" Trolls got the greenlight. Sucks, because DelToro has been a contributing producer or something on most of DW's last films, at least since before Puss in Boots. They never let him have his own film.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The Dreamworks Trolls movie sounds like a Fox's Dragon Ball Evolution situation. As in, they bought the rights to a movie and had to fart one out before the license expired. At least, that's what I came to the conclusion of why DBE happened, as they bought the rights at the start of the 1990's anime boom and just sat on it until the thing that happened with Watchman happened.

Trolls was supposed to be essentially a The Smurfs CGI hybrid movie ripoff. And you can tell that there was something trying to get the Troll fad started back up with the odd manifestation of Troll stuff at Target, you know, to reintroduce the property.

It's becoming obvious with Me and my Shadow and B.O.O. that Dreamworks is becoming way too cautious about the movies it produces. I think that's the reason why Trollhunters didn't get a film, but "contractual obligation" and/or "wasted license money" Trolls got the greenlight. Sucks, because DelToro has been a contributing producer or something on most of DW's last films, at least since before Puss in Boots. They never let him have his own film.
It's really a shame. After the 80s, Don Bluth made very few good movies. Dreamworks, from the start did a great job at being Disney's biggest competitor. All of their movies were usually the edgier, riskier, more adult films .
Maybe, Dreamworks is trying too hard to be like Disney and Pixar.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say the problem is Dreamworks's trying too hard not to be Pixar, yet also trying to keep it's identity when everyone and their mother has a CGI movie animation studio. Trolls was Dreamworks trying to go after that sweet sweet Alvin and the Chipmunks, Smurfs money and we almost had another bad Tim Hill film (no crap, he was set to direct and everything). I never actually sat through the movie "Hop" even though it was on Easter at some point somewhere (was too busy with the TMNT season 4 to this point marathon on Nicktoons), but, like Free Birds, it's one of those movies that says "there's a reason why there haven't been movies about this holiday." So Tim Hill's latest film was the Grumpy Cat thing on Lifetime, and that movie's essentially just a bad kid's movie with Grumpy Cat pasted in to comment on how bad a kid's film it is.

Now, I find it a shame Dreamworks is hurting. While I can say they had some odd non-sequel film choices that were audience alienating (though my sister swears that kids were really keyed up to see Peabody and Sherman, I think it paritally suffered coming out after a steady stream of stronger kid's movies), seems their big franchise hit films were the victims of poor timing. If Penguins of Madagascar didn't prove that the Thanksgiving weekend is a terrible slot for movies, Pixar's Good Dinosaur sure did. It's an all or nothing weekend with a steep dropoff the following week, and Big Hero Six was still around. KFP2 and HTTYD2 should have done better (and were actually considered hits overseas, and I don't want to go through that rant again) but somehow lost to comedy sequels basically made to comment on the fact that comedy sequels don't work. KFP3 did well for January and got most of its business from China who they made the film for. But other than that, they frantically swapped around, pushed back, and essentially sat on movies because they aren't making the Shrek money they used to.

Though, in terms of POM the movie, I have a feeling they knew the film was their sacrificial lamb. They swapped the date with Home (and at least Home did well domestically as a result), and even the Happy Meal tie in for POM the movie was the same toys the POM cartoon series tie in released 4 years prior. Something I've never seen before. They really didn't want Home to fail, so they just said "screw it" and threw POM under a bus.

C to the J

Reaction score
The show came out last week on July 29th and I got to check out the first six episodes (three half-hours, mind you). The animation's provided by Titmouse, the same company that animated Turbo FAST. While the premise taking place after the film is rather charming, the style is a little unusual, what with the creator of Flapjack/voice of Li'l Gideon (from Gravity Falls) himself being the co-developer. There are times when it reminds me of Adventure Time, but not in an unsettling manner.

One oddity I've noticed is that not all Boov are purple and they never change their color based on their feelings. Smek (voiced by Nolan North, not Steve Martin) is always red, and that practically gave me the impression that he's always mad regardless of his mood. What's more, they made him a bit more antagonistic. I thought he'd be happy after becoming a DJ.

You gotta admit, Mark Whitten (the new voice of Oh) does a pretty good impression of Jim Parsons.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I wonder if Rihanna is reprising her role from the movie in this.