Why isn't Skeeter a Muppet?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Well, I hate to revive a dead thread, but with all this talk about Scooter's family life from ABC's Muppets, it sort of fills in some gaps. Scooter's mom is obviously seeing other men, who need to wear robes. Scooter hasn't mentioned his dad at all. Skeeter could very well be living with dad while Scooter lives with mom.
Or Skeeter could have her own place. I think part of the joke is that Scooter is probably too old to be living with his mom. Scooter apparently mentioned on Twitter recently that Skeeter is studying overseas.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Or Skeeter could have her own place. I think part of the joke is that Scooter is probably too old to be living with his mom. Scooter apparently mentioned on Twitter recently that Skeeter is studying overseas.
That's something I'm not quite a fan of. Not because I find it offensive that it's clinging to the old nerd stereotype, but the fact they bring it up as much as possible. Like Seymore Skinner levels.

Then again, when Scooter was first introduced into the original series, he was an inept little dink who was only there because of nepotism (which thankfully petered out quickly, making him the endearing character he is today). I do like how it's a common thread that he really can't succeed by himself, and this seems to be more humble and sympathetic than being the inept guy that's just there because his Uncle gave him a job. Now he's a more ill-adjusted but skillful member of the Muppets.

As I've always said about Skeeter, I just don't think anyone's going to give the character the same level of care and love that Amy and Roger gave her. It depends on if the show runners read the Muppet comics, and I hope they did if they intend to bring the character into the series.

That said, Gonzo also mentioned his mother in one episode. I'd really like to see them follow that thread up, maybe making him either adopted or referencing the fact that MFS was just a movie and he had a family the whole time.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
No no, I mean like, back when Scooter and Skeeter were still babies and or kids, cause in Muppet Kids, we see the dad of the two. Scooter's mom is mentioned to be with someone else now. Skeeter could very well have been seperated from her brother due to a divorce, and went to live with the father, but was more independent and able to get out of the house more, see what I'm saying?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I choose to pretend Muppet Kids didn't exist. I mean, Muppets never has any canon, but that goes double for Muppet Kids.

Why?

Scooter can't read.

Uhhhh.... why?! And this was written by someone who wrote a lot of Muppet based books over the years. Now, fans have problems with some characterizations of certain characters in certain projects. This is mine. Of all the characters to have difficulty reading, why did they go with the character that in Muppet Babies could program a computer as a toddler? The one they turned into the computer nerd for the sake of being the 1980's computer nerd trope (cuz those crazy magic boxes that anyone could buy came out back then). The one who should have been able to read the whole time.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I choose to pretend Muppet Kids didn't exist. I mean, Muppets never has any canon, but that goes double for Muppet Kids.

Why?

Scooter can't read.

Uhhhh.... why?! And this was written by someone who wrote a lot of Muppet based books over the years. Now, fans have problems with some characterizations of certain characters in certain projects. This is mine. Of all the characters to have difficulty reading, why did they go with the character that in Muppet Babies could program a computer as a toddler? The one they turned into the computer nerd for the sake of being the 1980's computer nerd trope (cuz those crazy magic boxes that anyone could buy came out back then). The one who should have been able to read the whole time.
My biggest gripe with the Muppet Kids books is that there really was no reason for them to feature the Muppets. Seriously, you could replace the Muppets with random kids and you'd get the same results. Yes, i know these books were meant for youngsters learning how to read, not for older Muppet geeks, but still.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And it makes it all the more annoying that these books were written by authors closely associated with the Muppets. Like Louise Gikow. You think they would have done a better job making these Muppet Kids and not generic kids that just so happen to be Muppets. Scooter Can't Read just feels like they pulled his name out of a hat, or just threw him in there so it wouldn't be Piggy/Fozzie/Kermit/Gonzo heavy. I get that they used the Muppet brand to sell these books in the first place, but there were always kids dealing with social issues books. Some doing it better than they did.