What sketches scared you as a kid?

Mokeystar

Reaction score
Oh my gosh.....you are going to LAUGH at my story, ponamytrail (and the rest of you guys, if you haven't heard this one before). When I was a kid, I was TERRIFIED of Beautiful Day Monster. I had nightmares that he was hiding under my bed, waiting to spring out at me in the middle of the night with his HUGE eyes and big, gaping mouth and gobble me up whole.

One day, I saw this clip with Kermit and Beautiful Day that involved the letter B and the sound it makes. At the end of this clip, Beautiful Day loudly exclaims a long, "BAAAAAAAAH!", and his voice blows Kermit off the set. Then, he turns to the camera, opens his eyes really wide, and says it again, right to you....."BAAAAHHHHHH!" This eventually causes the screen to fade to completely white. After seeing this, I was mortified. This was above and beyond the scariest clip I had ever seen. I could hardly sleep let alone function as a normal five-year-old after this for days. I was terrified beyond reason.
After this clip, not knowing what his name was, he was nicknamed "The Bee Monster" by my family. It's kind of funny, because many years later, I found out his name actually does start with a "B".

Anyway, back to the story. My dear mother, after seeing me tormented by the fear of this Muppet decided it was time for a little child psychology. She had me imagine the "B Monster", and had me take my imaginary monster, wrap him up in imaginary chains, and we flushed him (yes, we flushed him) down the toilet. You know, I still was frightened of him after that, but that really did help! Even to this day, he gives me the willies, although I now think he more or less resembles my cat if she were much bigger and blue......

Isn't life strange? :smile:

Mokeystar

Reaction score
ponamytrail said:
Now this monster was not cookie monster, but may have inspired him. This monster (I'll call him King of Monsters) appeared in some other skits, but rarely if ever talked. He was the scariest one.

Actually, he did talk. His voice sounded like a deep Cookie Monster voice when he was on Sesame Street. I think Frank Oz probably performed him the whole time during his short life on the street. I think when he was on the Muppet Show, Richard Hunt did his voice.

ponamytrail

Reaction score
funny.

Yeah, I think that scene is actually combined with another skit in my mind, because that wide-eyed face fading to white is exactly what I remember as a frightened kid at about age 3 under the kitchen table.

See you in therapy, Mokeystar.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm gonna paint a 10!

Mokeystar and I have already mentioned at great length how scary Beautiful Day was and his bellowing out the letter "B" with his scary eyes and sharp teeth, but even he couldn't hold a candle to "Nobody", the puppet Jim used in the clip to count to 10. The Scanimate graphics and synthesized sounds were pretty neat, but man, when Nobody showed up on the screen- just two eyes and a mouth, he looked like death to me, and that low gutteral voice (THAT'S TEN!)

This clip scared the bejeesus out of me so much, I actually went down to the basement, and taking a cue from our painter friend, took a gallon of white paint and painted over the tv screen. My folks saw what their little four year old had done, and were not too pleased.

I dare anybody to top that one! :eek: :eek: :eek:

SSgt_Beaker

Reaction score
When i was a kid there was a scetch on the muppet show. It was a girl removing parts of her face and adding new one to become a monster. You wouldn't believe how scared I was of that. I can't believe i remembered that. :eek:

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I don't think I was ever terrified of a skit, but I was a little afraid of the Bridgekeeper in the cartoons in which the guy would try to get across the bridge with a shopping bag, but couldn't go until the Bridgekeeper had inspected all te shapes in the bag. He seemed really mean and evil.

Now I look back on those after watching Monty Python and just think about how wonderfully clever a parody that was! :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
I don't think I was ever terrified of a skit, but I was a little afraid of the Bridgekeeper in the cartoons in which the guy would try to get across the bridge with a shopping bag, but couldn't go until the Bridgekeeper had inspected all te shapes in the bag. He seemed really mean and evil.

Now I look back on those after watching Monty Python and just think about how wonderfully clever a parody that was! :smile:
Yeah, that scene from the Holy Grail was funny! :smile: You know, I always wondered if the SS Bridgekeeper would use magic to toss travelers over the bridge too if they got his questions wrong.

Sunrise

Reaction score
This thread has me howling over the memories. Let me throw out this vague image to see if anyone else remembers.
I'm not sure if this sketch was SS. I was so small when I saw it, I think it might have been Electric Company. Heck, I might even be remembering some bizarre nightmare. But there was this strange segment that consisted, I think, of people zipped up into these bright-colored spandexy bags that basically would render them shapeless, colored blobs. The blobs would sort of flop around the set, with no music or sound except the sounds they made, thumping around on the ground or climbing onto and falling off of these blocks.
Am I insane? Does anyone else remember this, or am I freaked out by some hallicinatory image? :stick_out_tongue:

Splurge

Reaction score
Sunrise said:
This thread has me howling over the memories. Let me throw out this vague image to see if anyone else remembers.
I'm not sure if this sketch was SS. I was so small when I saw it, I think it might have been Electric Company. Heck, I might even be remembering some bizarre nightmare. But there was this strange segment that consisted, I think, of people zipped up into these bright-colored spandexy bags that basically would render them shapeless, colored blobs. The blobs would sort of flop around the set, with no music or sound except the sounds they made, thumping around on the ground or climbing onto and falling off of these blocks.
Am I insane? Does anyone else remember this, or am I freaked out by some hallicinatory image? :stick_out_tongue:
I could be wrong, but that sounds like Mummenschanz.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Here are some sketches & skits,characters as well;that either scared me as a kid or made a lasting impression on my psyche:

1)Behind Your Face:I loved the animation,but the yo yo man appearing & disappearing from nowhere & the words to the song Behind Your Face.I love that skit now.

2)Willie Wimple:Makes such a poignant statement.I still sing that song to myself,whenever I see trash everywhere but the trashcan.

3)Harvey Kneeslapper: Was just annoying to me,kinda weird/scary too.Just slapping letters on people.

4)Bert & Ernie in the catacomb: When the sarcophagi taps Bert.

5)Hugga Wugga:the voice,the looks.

6)Herry as a kid scared me;either from his looks or because he didn't say & do much early on.

7)Cartoons like E story,Capital I,lowercase n,Cowboy X,small v,Villan in the Panama Hat.Cool to watch them all now.

8)The News Flash of Little Miss Muffett,that spider scared the beejesus out of me.

9)Uncle Deadly at first,just for his looks & overall mysterious presence.

10)Vendaface:rearranging faces is kinda creepy in itself,and the voice.

11)The Behemoth singing I've Got You Under My Skin with Shakey.

12)The opera singers(upsidedown faces of Jim & Jerry).

13)Sketch All of Me,on TMS.

14)Sam the Machine/Robot:Just annoying,couldn't wait until sketch was over.Perfect,perfect,perfect....Grrrrr LOL