Kermit and Miss Piggy Officially Split!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly if this leads to huge ratings for the show then I think it is a good thing, like I mean what was the publicity for MT, anyone know.
Uh... Kermit and Gonzo hosted a night of TGIF? That was it, I guess.

Look. We want this show to succeed because that gives Disney a reason to push aside Frozen and Planes merchandising slightly so there can be a Muppet T-Shirt or something on store shelves. What Disney's doing here is a fun little stunt to drive up awareness for the series, which hinges on Kermit and Piggy's relationship being over. Why some of us glaze over the fact that it adds to the tension of the show which gives a genuine reason for casuals to watch is a matter of nostalgic character ownership and nothing else.

I get the feeling that Jim had the characters married off in the 80's to close a character arc (except for Muppet Babies where the TV Show level of dodginess of their relationship lived on), and was moving on to making Muppets secondary to more ambitious creature shop and Fraggle Rock style projects. Then there was the revelation of the "What could have been" of the "Pig of the 90's" break up. When it comes down to it, married Kermit and Piggy are boring, Will they or Won't they Kermit and Piggy is annoying and repetitive, but mutual break up is an interesting new angle.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I just think all of this has been completely over-analyzed. I guess that's what fan forums are for.

Do you know what secret purpose is behind all of the decisions in the show? Spoiler alert....

HUMOR! Nothing more and nothing less.

The Muppets were allowed to be more experimental in the days of Jim Henson and that seems to be what they're going back to, but some folk just want to see the characters retrace old steps because anything else would somehow taint their memories of these characters. No good writing can be accomplished under such restrictions. They're getting back to their roots.

Yay that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus, let's face it. The Frog and Pig need a shake up. That's why the more popular characters within parts of the fandom and most casuals gravitate more towards the Swedish Chef, Beaker, and other wackier, denser characters. Having them constantly fighting is boring, having them in a peaceful, mutual relationship is dull. They found the perfect medium here. And whatever happens in the course of the show, they have ways to draw this out for the sake of storytelling to keep it fresh.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I get the feeling that Jim had the characters married off in the 80's to close a character arc (except for Muppet Babies where the TV Show level of dodginess of their relationship lived on), and was moving on to making Muppets secondary to more ambitious creature shop and Fraggle Rock style projects.
It seems like they broke up at the time of The Jim Henson Hour. In Miss Piggy's one MuppeTelevision appearance, after Piggy calls Kermit, Vicki remarks that "she dumped [him]", which Kermit protests trying to deny that they were a couple. In fact when Kermit asks to talk to her she at first seems to have forgotten him ("It's Kermit.(beat) the frog.")

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Plus, let's face it. The Frog and Pig need a shake up. That's why the more popular characters within parts of the fandom and most casuals gravitate more towards the Swedish Chef, Beaker, and other wackier, denser characters. Having them constantly fighting is boring, having them in a peaceful, mutual relationship is dull. They found the perfect medium here. And whatever happens in the course of the show, they have ways to draw this out for the sake of storytelling to keep it fresh.
Miss Piggy & Kermit's on-again-off-again relationship was a staple of the Muppet Show. Actually, it was debatable whether or not Kermit was a willing participant sometimes. Shaking up these dynamics by having Piggy date one movie star after another makes things so incredibly fun.

Muppy

Reaction score
I don't understand why this is creating so much controversy. I would think that Miss Piggy and Kermit will get back together by the end of the series. And besides, their relationship has really been the same for years. We will get to see new sides to the characters, see them they evolve and we will get a new tension between the characters that will be really interesting to watch. When (or if) they do get back together we will see how much they have developed and how much they really need each other. At least that's how I see it :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Miss Piggy & Kermit's on-again-off-again relationship was a staple of the Muppet Show. Actually, it was debatable whether or not Kermit was a willing participant sometimes. Shaking up these dynamics by having Piggy date one movie star after another makes things so incredibly fun.
That's why the relationship was interesting, if sometimes toxic. But that version of the relationship really seemed to be Muppet TV show exclusive, whereas the movies were always much sweeter. There wasn't the same tension in TMM, GMC, or MTM because that didn't fit into the plot of any of them. And that makes me wonder. For some, the movies were always more accessible than the TV show. Every Muppet movie (save the DTV fairy tale one) is readily available on DVD, where as there's only 3 of the show. Rebroadcasting the movies on television is a semi-regular thing, but TMS hasn't seen a TV run since the Odyssey channel.

Anyway, I tend to think that either extreme of the Kermit/Piggy relationship has been done to death one way or the other, but this show's mutual break up angle has some great potential for passive aggressiveness and longing to add to that relationship. May come out of the ordeal stronger. Not too fast, I hope.

SpookyMania

Reaction score
Looks like Kermit's been seen with another woman! (All joking aside, the new Denise puppet looks... no...)

(source)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Eh, I'd have to see her move. In that shot, it literally looks like Kermit is talking to a...well...a puppet!