Your Thoughts: The Muppets Character Encyclopedia

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The fact that those characters didn't get character sections is sad. It's also disappointing that the closest Droop and Carter ever got to appearing in that book are small bits and snippits
Yeah, I've been wondering if Carter didn't get a page because of his resemblance to a member of Geri and the Atrics. Craig Shemin didn't discuss his absence in either the Muppet Mindset or Tough Pigs interviews.

Of course, Howard Tubman was the only "UK Spot exclusive" character to get a page (I would have liked to have seen Snooky Bloir included).

There are a few more things that were and weren't included I'm surprised by. Like including Frog Scouts but not Frogs (that could have been a two-page spread). And including The Prairie Dogs Glee Club as opposed to just Prairie Dogs. They were only a glee club in one episode (one that's not on DVD at that). I'm also similarly surprised about Lydia the Pig and Sopwith the Camel.

Man, I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I wish we could see Craig Shemin's original list of who to include.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Droop? Really? Who cares? It's cool they bothered to put him in the movies, but he's not essential.

Some characters who weren't expected to be in the book were in the book. Why gripe about what you didn't get? It's not like this is the end-all, be-all Muppet character book.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. It's not like the Sesame Street Coffee Table Books (Unpaved or 40 Years) were entirely complete and had a lot missing and inaccurate. That happens with any compendium style books. But we're lucky. We've only had quality ones so far. Most franchises don't get that lucky.

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
I suppose you have a point there, Oscarfan about how it doesn't really matter whether Droop gets a character section or not. It could be that he resembles Nigel from Muppets Tonight too much.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I guess it doesn't matter that much if the book is character complete or if it leaves out the most obscure characters. But some of us fans want the book to be as complete as possible, some want their favorite characters included... I feel like every recurring character should be included (though many characters who are seemingly one-shot would show up in the background, so fans have different opinions of how "recurring" a character is). I guess people have different opinions on how "complete" it needs to be.

Most of my favorites are included. Droop and Gaffer are among my favorites not included, but I am happier that the book has Lips, Fleet Scribbler, Doglion, Seymour, and a bunch of others. My biggest disapointment with missing characters is not including many from JHH. I feel that show should be considered as important as TMS and MT.

It's interesting how Lubbock Lou isn't pictured in the section on Lubbock Lou and His Jughuggers, Craig Shemin said that the publishers are aware but they were short on time (though Lubbock Lou can be seen from behind in the section on The Muppet Theater). The main image is from a shot from The Great Muppet Caper, I don't know if that was a still or an image taken while the movie was in production, but it is odd that if they were going to use a shot from that scene, they chose a still (assuming it's a still) that had less of the jugband.

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
Yeah. I found it hard to believe that Calico, Blind Pew, One-Eyed Jack, Black Dog, and Spotted Dick weren't in that book despite being in Muppets Most Wanted. Perhaps Craig couldn't add them in and had no time to.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Yeah. I found it hard to believe that Calico, Blind Pew, One-Eyed Jack, Black Dog, and Spotted Dick weren't in that book despite being in Muppets Most Wanted. Perhaps Craig couldn't add them in and had no time to.
Well, look the bottom line is, I doubt he even knew those characters EXISTED! The fact that
appeared in the book was enough of a homage to fans

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Craig had a draft of the script, but maybe he didn't know those characters would be in it. Maybe the script didn't indicate that those characters would be included (I don't remember any of them having names). Though it would have been cool if there'd been a "pirates" page for any pirate characters who don't have their own pages (the ones with very little to say about, though Angel Marie and Wall-Eye Pike were included and seem like characters with very little to say about).

When it comes to characters who were in Muppets Most Wanted but not in this book, I'm most surprised that Carlos and Monolo Flamingo aren't in the book. But maybe the Macarena number was added to a draft that came after the script draft he got.

Well, look the bottom line is, I doubt he even knew those characters EXISTED!
Considering he's the Henson Company historian, I doubt it, though maybe you are right. I feel he should have at least been aware of Blind Pew.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Craig had a draft of the script, but maybe he didn't know those characters would be in it. Maybe the script didn't indicate that those characters would be included (I don't remember any of them having names). Though it would have been cool if there'd been a "pirates" page for any pirate characters who don't have their own pages (the ones with very little to say about, though Angel Marie and Wall-Eye Pike were included and seem like characters with very little to say about)./QUOTE]

I highly doubt the script would identify any specific characters in the Gulag unless they had speaking roles (like Miss Poogy).

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
Here's who i think will be in the next book:
1). 80's Robot
2). Afghan Hound
3). African Masks
4). Alfredo and Hildegard
5). Angel Marie
6). Angus McGonagle
7). Animal
8). Annie Sue
9). Banana Nose Maldonado