The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know you're old when you can actually remember that Kerry Washington used to be an obscure, unknown actress, as opposed to a big A-list celebrity... like, I remember back in the early 2000s, she was one of the leads in a godawful Spike Lee movie about an out-of-work executive who goes around impregnating lesbians for money (Kerry was the executive's ex-girlfriend).

Slackbot

Reaction score
I spell it "doughnut." And I also use the spelling "moustache."

That doesn't make me feel old, though. What makes me feel old? Arthritis. Oww. Not good for an artist/puppeteer.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Back when I went to high school (1987-1991), I took BASIC computer programming in my freshman year, and then when Windows '95 came out several years after I had graduated, BASIC would eventually become obsolete and a "technological fossil", so to speak, as computer techonology became more advanced.....:confused:

Slackbot

Reaction score
In high school I took computer classes to get away from trig, calculus, and other such unfathomable-to-me weirdness. Instead, I learned BASIC on pre-Macintosh, green-screen Apple computers such as Doc had in his workshop. Back then, it was practically a joke that I went into computer study to get away from math. These days it wouldn't be a joke at all.

When I installed DOSBox on my computer so I could play old faves like DOOM and Heretic, the first thing I did was write .BAT files for each program so they'd start with the right parameters. Oldschool skills FTW.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Back when I went to high school (1987-1991), I took BASIC computer programming in my freshman year, and then when Windows '95 came out several years after I had graduated, BASIC would eventually become obsolete and a "technological fossil", so to speak, as computer techonology became more advanced.....:confused:

To the best of my knowledge, they no longer manufacture 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" floppy disks, and many computers nowadays use CD-Rom drives and/or USB peripheral ports.

They still make disposable 35mm film cameras, but that's apparently being phased out little by little as the camera industry is making the transition to digital film.

It seems like the only place you can find music cassette albums is at a garage/yard sale, thrift store, flea markets, etc., yet they still manufacture blank cassettes for recording on a small scale. Meanwhile, CD music is still readily available, and even nowadays, many teenagers apparently have some sort of portable MP3 player close at hand.

Even cell phones have changed over the years. At first, it looked like a big bulky handset, and even then, you could only make local calls. Nowadays, they have all sorts of newfangled "smartphones", such as Android, Blackberry, iPhone, etc.

Back when I went to school mostly during the '80s until I graduated in 1991, I had to use pencil and paper to write my lessons down. The "modern" computer era was still a few years ahead, with Windows 95 the first practical OS (of course, some people use Apple Mac computers), and none of the computers that I used back then had internet browsers.

Back in the 1970's, most people watched TV with an aerial rooftop antenna, and/or the old-fashioned inside antennas, such as the "rabbit ears" or "bowtie" variety. Nowadays, cable and satellite TV services are almost everywhere, yet some local cable providers might offer a limited range of channels in smaller areas.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It seems like the only place you can find music cassette albums is at a garage/yard sale, thrift store, flea markets, etc., yet they still manufacture blank cassettes for recording on a small scale. Meanwhile, CD music is still readily available, and even nowadays, many teenagers apparently have some sort of portable MP3 player close at hand.
Sony recently came out with a cassette that allows you to store hundreds or thousands of songs on it, apparently.

Erine81981

Reaction score
My neices. That's what makes me feel old. I still remember when they were little and cute and would always wanted to hang out with their uncle.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sony recently came out with a cassette that allows you to store hundreds or thousands of songs on it, apparently.
Ah, Sony. Still not getting the point of current media. At least, that's not PlayStation related.

Anyone else thinking child stars they sort of grew up with being all adult and married and having weightloss commercials surreal? And not even funny surreal. Depressing surreal.

cjd874

Reaction score
Hmmmm…how about the fact that Sara Bareilles's "Love Song" came out in 2007, and it's STILL heard everywhere. I remember when it first came out in middle school, and seven years later, I still can't get it out of my head.
Oh, and Now That's What I Call Music released their 50th installment. I remember when they only had like seventeen of those.