R.I.P. Mickey Rooney (1920-2014)

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
My mother told me about this earlier today. I was shocked when I heard this because I was sure Mickey Rooney would reach the age of a hundred years.

Rest in peace, Mister Rooney.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Wait a second! I remember his voice. He did say, "Jimminy Jillikers" in the the Simpsons episode "Radioactive Man" way back in my childhood days. I was like, "Is that his catchphrase?"
Otherwise, I did use to watch the Andy Hardy films (MGM) and it had the Judy G./Mickey R. duo in those films.
He was a fine little rascal. Not exactly like the troublemakers of Little Rascal like Alfafa but cute and good-looking.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
He was a fine little rascal. Not exactly like the troublemakers of Little Rascal like Alfafa but cute and good-looking.
Speaking of which, Mickey actually auditioned for the Little Rascals around 1926. Producer Hal Roach turned Mickey down because he thought he was too much of a ham!

The following year, Mickey was hired to play the lead in what turned out to be a popular Little Rascals rival series. The "Mickey McGuire" comedies ran in theaters between 1927 and 1934. It was one strange series! But this was what first brought Mickey to moviegoers' attention.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Mickey Rooney and Shirley Temple both auditioned for Our Gang/The Little Rascals but never joined Spanky and Company. But one of Mickey's sidekicks from the "Mickey McGuire" series did make it in to the Gang. Kendall McComas (aka "Breezy Brisbane")
only made a handful of Rascals shorts before going back to Rooney's series (and his character "Stinky Davis") but what an impression he made. It was great that Mickey was able to continue his acting career long after outgrowing childhood. For so many child actors, reaching adulthood is usually the kiss of death to your career.

He also managed to get away with playing a Chinese landlord in "Breakfast at Tiffany's", which I doubt anyone would be able to pull off today.

I just watched "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" the other day, knowing he was the last surviving cast member. Then his number came up. Now they're all at the Big "W" in the sky.

Thank you Mickey, also for gracing Disney's "Pete's Dragon" and "The Fox and the Hound". You rascal, you.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Mickey Rooney and Shirley Temple both auditioned for Our Gang/The Little Rascals but never joined Spanky and Company. But one of Mickey's sidekicks from the "Mickey McGuire" series did make it in to the Gang.

I just watched "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" the other day, knowing he was the last surviving cast member. Then his number came up. Now they're all at the Big "W" in the sky.
Actually, the Shirley Temple story hasn't been confirmed. Both Shirley and her mother claimed it was false, but Hal Roach and Robert McGowan said otherwise. Ironic that we lost two of the most well-known former child performers within three months.

Incidentally, a few other "Our Gang" kids crossed over to "Mickey McGuire" at some point - Shirley Jean Rickert, Donald Haines, Norman "Chubby" Chaney (in one of his last film roles). Our Gang had a lot of rival series in its heyday. "McGuire" was not only the most popular rival, but also the longest-lasting one, and the only one to span both silent and sound films. Too bad it's hardly remembered today.

Yes, of the main cast of "Mad World", Mickey was the last to go. But a few of the supporting players are still with us - Barrie Chase, John Clarke, Nicholas Georgiade, Marvin Kaplan, Jerry Lewis, Stan Freberg, Carl Reiner.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I heard yesterday morning just soon as I got Online. Too bad I was listening to Pandora and not this radio station that I listen sometimes at night.

But anyway, He lived a long life and left us quite a legacy. Celebrate what he gave us. R.I.P. Mickey Rooney

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
When I heard about his death, I wasn't too familiar with his work. I knew his voice from the Rankin-Bass shorts and The Fox and the Hound, and remembered his cameos in Muppets and Night at the Museum. Naturally, I turned to the Internet for enlightenment, and now I can say that I love his work. He lived a long and successful life, though. RIP to my now-favorite "old Hollywood" actor <3