Sesame Street General Store

HamHock

Reaction score
I was on Muppet Wiki today and I came across this:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sesame_Street_General_Store

Ive never heard of it. I searched around the place but I cant really find anything.

Does anyone know what kind of things they sold here, what it looked like or about the animatronic Oscar ? The place seems really cool and I would like to learn about it

Thanks,

HamHock:flirt::flirt::flirt:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I was on Muppet Wiki today and I came across this:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sesame_Street_General_Store

Ive never heard of it. I searched around the place but I cant really find anything.

Does anyone know what kind of things they sold here, what it looked like or about the animatronic Oscar ? The place seems really cool and I would like to learn about it

Thanks,

HamHock:flirt::flirt::flirt:
Ah, yes, we had one at our local mall, that I only managed to get to visit once while it was there. It was unfortunately filled with mostly children's products (clothes, toys, etc.) with a small section (basically a corner) of merchandise for adult fans. I still have the sweatshirt I bought there, that actually held up for quite some time (it only recently started to get holes in it, so I now wear it around the house in the winter).

And like the Wiki article states, the entrance had an animatronic Oscar the Grouch that would greet customers and he'd pop in and out of the can all day.

Mikal

Reaction score
I actually have an animatronic Oscar the Grouch

Mokeystar

Reaction score
The thing I loved about it was that it had so many things for grown-ups, as well as kids. It was kind of like the Disney Store, SS style. I took a few special road trips just to go to the Sesame Street General Store at a mall in Portland, Oregon, back in the late '90s. I still have a few things that I purchased there-- a shirt, a "monster" watch (featuring some of the lovable monsters of SS), and a Grover mug with his face all over it. Those were some fun road trips!

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
The Sesame Street General Store was also at The Mall at Pheasant Lane in Nashua New Hampshire as well. But sadly, They all closed in 1998. At least The Mall at Pheasant Lane still has The Disney Store.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw one once and only once and I regret not going in. Of course, I thought the store only sold preschooler/toddler clothing at the time which is why I didn't bother.

But this really does make me depressed. I miss these specialty stores in malls. Disney, Warners, Sesame... I mean, Disney's hanging by a thread and there's like only one I know of still around. And it was one of the original ones so it had the little fiberglas statues around. Now all malls have are the same boutique stores that sell the same women's clothing.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I saw one once and only once and I regret not going in. Of course, I thought the store only sold preschooler/toddler clothing at the time which is why I didn't bother.

But this really does make me depressed. I miss these specialty stores in malls. Disney, Warners, Sesame... I mean, Disney's hanging by a thread and there's like only one I know of still around. And it was one of the original ones so it had the little fiberglas statues around. Now all malls have are the same boutique stores that sell the same women's clothing.
I used to love our local Disney store (same mall that had the Sesame general store, actually). We still have a Disney store there, but it's been severely watered down and caters now mainly to kids' toys and clothes and almost all of anything classic Disney related is now gone. It's all now geared towards the Pixar movies, and the Disney Princess line. I loved the old Disney store where they had collectibles like animation cels, and they used to have great clothes for adults and teens.I know there's still a couple of large Disney stores in NYC that does have some nicer stuff but it's smack in the middle of Times Square so it's too touristy for me to walk around there.

Warner Bros. store was amazing too, because not only did they have great collectibles and clothes with the Looney Tunes characters, but they had a lot of great stuff focusing on the studio itself. I remember beautiful coffee table books about the golden age of the studio, etc. Ah, the good old days...