"The Looney Tunes Show" premieres May 3, 2011

Bridget

Reaction score
I never really liked Lola, regardless of her Space Jam "personality" or her Looney Tunes Show incarnation. In fact it's ironic: In Space Jam Bugs liked her but Lola didn't feel the same way about him at first, and on The Looney Tunes Show it's the other way around.

Not only was she a token female on Baby Looney Tunes, but they also included other females: Petunia, who was only in a few classic shorts (and it was odd seeing her featured so much while there wasn't a Baby Porky), and Melissa, who was only in one or two shorts. In fact would casual fans see the connection between her and the adult Melissa from The Scarlett Pumperknickle? I wouldn't have known they were the same if it wasn't mentioned in an early interview with somebody from the show (who claimed there's no such thing as an obscure Looney Tunes character... So Bosko, Buddy, Beans, and Inki aren't obscure?). The short I'm sure most fans remember Melissa from is where she's just a character in a script by Daffy. She's even a different color as a baby.

But having said that, when it comes to Baby Looney Tunes, which I've barely watched since the first season and don't think is too good, I prefer Petunia and Melissa over Lola.
Pentunia over Lola? Really?
Lola is like my, my idol!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Pentunia over Lola? Really?
Lola is like my, my idol!
Now that I think about it, I can't remember anything about either characters personality on the show. I can't even remember any Lola episodes. But I do remember one episode I liked where Petunia was basically the main character, where she only wants to watch TV, and then the TV breaks, so the others turn a cardboard box into a television and make their own shows (much like certain episodes of Muppet Babies and Rugrats had already done). I know that her couch potato personality didn't extend past that episode.... Did she have any personality on that show? But it seems Melissa had a great personality, being basically a female version of Daffy Duck.

Bridget

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I can't remember anything about either characters personality on the show. I can't even remember any Lola episodes. But I do remember one episode I liked where Petunia was basically the main character, where she only wants to watch TV, and then the TV breaks, so the others turn a cardboard box into a television and make their own shows (much like certain episodes of Muppet Babies and Rugrats had already done). I know that her couch potato personality didn't extend past that episode.... Did she have any personality on that show? But it seems Melissa had a great personality, being basically a female version of Daffy Duck.
I know what you're talking about. My favorite episode of Baby Looney Tunes is when Lola gets her way just by pouting!

Erine81981

Reaction score
I would have i didn't watch much of Baby Looney Tunes. It to me was ok but i just couldn't get into it. Now i didn't mind the songs in between the show. That was kinda cool because getting to see other Looney Tunes characters as babies. That was the only thing i liked of it.

So maybe the whole "Li'l Looney Tunes" thing didn't jive with everyone, but there's still a lot of genuinely funny moments from Tiny Toons. I loved the skit where Buster goes to see a childrens' performer in concert, and he just keeps interrupting the guy's show and making fun of him:smile:. I also remember a couple episodes that poked fun at the censorship for kids' television. The movie special, "How I Spent My Vacation," was great too, and holds a 7.8 on IMDb. Plucky's roadtrip with Hamton's family to HappyWorldLand was hilarious. The humor could be hit and miss, but for kids' television I thought it was ahead of its time.
I would have to say i love Tiny Toons. I have the first three volumes and can't get enough of Furball. He's my favorite. The funny thing is i didn't care much for Selevester so i don't know what it is about Furball but he's my favorite as well as Plucky and Hamton.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I would have i didn't watch much of Baby Looney Tunes. It to me was ok but i just couldn't get into it. Now i didn't mind the songs in between the show. That was kinda cool because getting to see other Looney Tunes characters as babies. That was the only thing i liked of it.

I would have to say i love Tiny Toons. I have the first three volumes and can't get enough of Furball. He's my favorite. The funny thing is i didn't care much for Selevester so i don't know what it is about Furball but he's my favorite as well as Plucky and Hamton.
I love Plucky, I thought he was by far the show's funniest character. I liked how Plucky and Hamton were BFFs, just like Daffy and Porky were often paired together in the classic cartoons.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So maybe the whole "Li'l Looney Tunes" thing didn't jive with everyone, but there's still a lot of genuinely funny moments from Tiny Toons.
Tiny Toons came out at an unfortunate time when Hanna Barbera was dumping out a bunch of Muppet Babies-esque shows. It came off as a follow the leader, without the actual intention of being a next generation series. And then John K badmouthed the crap out of it, as did everyone who'd later work on Ren and Stimpy, and the animation geeks at the time took their side, I'm guessing. Tiny Toons really was the superior of the young versions of classic characters shows (yes, even Muppet Babies), and it aged well and was vindicated by history. But seriously, a LOT of purists hate anything with Looney Tunes characters in it post the 1950's. Even the newer shorts. And there were some choice shorts.

One even had Zoidberg in it.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Tiny Toons came out at an unfortunate time when Hanna Barbera was dumping out a bunch of Muppet Babies-esque shows. It came off as a follow the leader, without the actual intention of being a next generation series. And then John K badmouthed the crap out of it, as did everyone who'd later work on Ren and Stimpy, and the animation geeks at the time took their side, I'm guessing. Tiny Toons really was the superior of the young versions of classic characters shows (yes, even Muppet Babies), and it aged well and was vindicated by history. But seriously, a LOT of purists hate anything with Looney Tunes characters in it post the 1950's. Even the newer shorts. And there were some choice shorts.

One even had Zoidberg in it.
I'm just as much a Looney Tunes fan as any of these "purists"; I must've watched every one of the classic shorts as a kid (between Nickelodeon and CN, they were on quite often [though not anymore:grr:] ), and love them to this day. Even so, I loved TT and Space Jam, which has garnered a large following since its release in 1996. My dad gave me SJ on DVD for Christmas. C'mon, Bill Murray even helped the Looney Tunes out; that's movie gold right there:big_grin:.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I went to watch Space Jam when it came out only because i loved watching Looney Tunes growning up. If it would have been all made up characters i might not have gone to watch it just would have depened on if it made me laugh. Now yes the Looney Tunes back In Action wasn't all that bad it did have somethings that i could have cared less about but i did enjoy watching it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just as much a Looney Tunes fan as any of these "purists"; I must've watched every one of the classic shorts as a kid (between Nickelodeon and CN, they were on quite often [though not anymore:grr:] ), and love them to this day. Even so, I loved TT and Space Jam, which has garnered a large following since its release in 1996. My dad gave me SJ on DVD for Christmas. C'mon, Bill Murray even helped the Looney Tunes out; that's movie gold right there:big_grin:.
Purists are very annoying. If it's not done by one of the original creators, it's apparently a horrid cynical cash grab that distorts the original quality of the characters... no matter how close they try to get them. I really don't feel this way. As long as it isn't those terrible shorts they made in the 60's, Baby Looney Tunes or Loonatics, I'm happy. I even liked Space Jam despite the obvious flaws. I really like BIA too, but Space Jam unfortunately is the more coherent of the two. But I LOVE those TV shows based on the characters (when they're done right, that is). Tiny Toons, Taz Mania, Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, Duck Dodgers, The Looney Tunes Show... they were all really good. I really think we need something closer to the first four next go around. Focus on one character, and do cameos of all the rest. I gotta admit, I liked Duck Dodgers most of all.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I remember watching Taz Mania on Fox as a kid, even though Taz was never one of my favorites. The Bing Crosby parodying father, Hugh, was quite clever. Daffy is and always will be my favorite. The only Duck Dodgers (2003) episode I saw was The Green Loontoon. I didn't know if the new DD was any good or not, but if you say it is, I'll trust your judgement. There's also been quite a few decent to great Looney Tunes video games over the years, most of which I've played. Looney Tunes: Alert! was one of my all-time favorite Game Boy games, and I thought it was really ahead of its time. You could play so many classic Looney Tunes, even Gossamer. I also liked the N64 Duck Dodgers, which I proudly beat without use of a strategy guide, as I recall.