You're the Director -- You Haven't Lived Until...

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
As some might know, I am getting my videos in order, and at 4:30 this morning, I was watching my last unviewed Muppet video, on which is the Viewmaster interactive feature "You're the Director." Now, when you have all of the interactive materials needed to view this feature, I'm sure this is all perfectly normal. But without the needed hardware, I must say, this is one of the most frightening things I have ever viewed.

I suppose being awake at 4:30 has something to do with my astonishment, but nonetheless, this is scary stuff. First of all, the Muppets are talking to me directly. They aren't talking to an audience (ie. the finale in The Muppet Movie); no, they are speaking to me, and referring to me as "Smasher". This name was decided for me at the beginning of the video without my consent. Now, throughout the feature, I am being told to push buttons, select things using my joystick, and see things that are not on the screen. Now again, I'm sure that if I had all of the Viewmaster accessories, this would all seem like nothing abstract. But without, I am very afraid right now, as the characters of the film are asking me to determine aspects and plot points that I can't even see. This is bad, yes, but nowhere near as bad as what I have just witnessed on the screen.

The Muppets just rapped. Yes, they rapped. Link, Dr. Strangepork, Scooter and Rowlf just did a hip-hop number. I am, for lack of better words, freakin' out like crazy.

The point I mean to make, if there really is one at 4:45am, is that I don't think you've really lived until you've seen this video without the needed Viewmaster hardware. It is outstandingly psychotic, to say the very least.

Now, I think I need a glass of water, if I can make it down the stairs without fainting.

-Matt

radionate

Reaction score
I really would like to know how this view master thing works. Crazy. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Ryan

Reaction score
Matt,
Even with the system (I bought it recentely), it is an odd video. But it's still one of my favorites, due to it's obscurity and cheezienes. BTW, I am willing to sell/trade the system to someone, if they really want it. I also have a Disney View Master video that came along with it, which is pretty fun (all arcade games). If anybody out there has the Muppet Madness tape..please let me know...I have been looking everywhere for it. Thank you!