Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Soemthing I don't get,
I just watched IAVMMCM last night
Doesn't Pepe make the theater a historical landmark? So no one can tear it down? Then how would Tex Richman be able to tear it down and drill for oil in The Muppets?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
But, recall that in VMX, the Theater is very real and in NY. In this movie, the Theater is clearly a set ... in CA, of all places. The historical landmark thing only applies in the universe where the Theater is real.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Soemthing I don't get,
Doesn't Pepe make the theater a historical landmark? So no one can tear it down? Then how would Tex Richman be able to tear it down and drill for oil in The Muppets?
This movie doesn't take place in the same continuity as the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Did I forget to mention how glad I was that the ending had nothing to do with something becoming a landmark or someone audio taping Tex Richman saying nasty stuff? You know... the two most cliched ways to end these kinds of things? Instead, they went for a non-sequitor. Loved that.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Soemthing I don't get,
This has been discussed many times already. The movies are not canon, they are each separate stories told by The Muppets. So this movie is different than IAVMMCM in the sense that they're each stories and do not apply to the Muppets' actual lives.

zoebell

Reaction score
right, the only canon stuff in any of the movies is in the first one when they're watching their own movie, right? and any time they break the 4th wall

Drtooth

Reaction score
The movie had a loose canon in step with the first films. But even then, it treats those films like films, even though some of the events are taken into account. Considering there was to be a sequence with Nicky Holiday, it did treat some of the events into their reality... but then, the movie is discusses as just a movie to begin with. So, just remember, it's just a movie frees you from having to pay attention to a canon that, let's face it, was never really there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The movie had a loose canon in step with the first films. But even then, it treats those films like films, even though some of the events are taken into account. Considering there was to be a sequence with Nicky Holiday, it did treat some of the events into their reality... but then, the movie is discusses as just a movie to begin with. So, just remember, it's just a movie frees you from having to pay attention to a canon that, let's face it, was never really there.
Right, really the confusion popped up with Muppets Take Manhattan when suddenly they're all college students and there's no mention of it being a movie, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was the first. I mean, if they were big time celebrities, getting a Broadway career would have been cake. Especially if they made the movie now... all they'd have to do is take an old movie and make a musical out of it... boom bam, Broadway stars. The real confusion came into Muppet Babies...

it could easily be brushed off as a continuation of Piggy's fantasy from MTM... so that's easy to write off... UNTIL MFC when they have home movies of them as babies. Not to mention the instance that Skeeter does exist outside of the show, but she's been banished into some nonsense about being in a jungle adventure or something. Basically, Muppet Babies proves my point that there's no way a canon can be established. Though VMX takes the events of TMM, only because of the existence of Doc Hopper's... TM does things a little sneakier... taking the instances of the movies into canon, but also referring to them as movies, all the while saying it's a movie.

Plus, Walter has Muppet Babies toys in his collection.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Whoah, I don't remember a song called that...that sounds like something the Moopets would sing!

"What the wockka?" :smile:

Well I think he intentionally made it a point to ham it up beyond belief in his musical scenes, especially the first musical act and the beginning of Muppet or man bit. But having seen it twice, it barely feels like he or Amy are even in the film too much. It really becomes a Kermit film by the second act.
Yeah, the original version of the Cee-Lo song is way funnier. I know they were intentionally hamming it up for certain scenes and while I agree it focused more on The Muppets in the second half, I just felt Segel really kind of overdid it regardless. I don't know, guess it's personal opinion since I never found him funny prior to this film (shrug)