1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Green Album

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Aug 15, 2011.

?

What is your favorite song from The Green Album?

1. The Muppet Show Theme - OK Go

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. Rainbow Connection - Weezer

15 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Mahna Mahna - The Fray

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Movin' Right Along - Alkaline Trio

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Our World - My Morning Jacket

8 vote(s)
    9.6%
  6. Halfway Down The Stairs - Amy Lee

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. Mr. Bassman - Sondre Lerche

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. Wishing Song - The Airborne Toxic Event

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  9. Night Life - Brandon Saller

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  10. Bein' Green - Andrew Bird

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  11. I Hope That Something Better Comes Along - Matt Nathanson

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  12. I'm Going to Go Back There Someday - Rachael Yamagata

8 vote(s)
    9.6%

1. MuppetLabsBoy

MuppetLabsBoy Member

Honestly, I'm not such a big fan of the album. I think that Disney's target audience was the younger teen crowd, who are fans of these individual artists/bands, so that they would become familiar w/the Muppets' music.
  2. CalciferBoheme

CalciferBoheme New Member

I don't think the tween audience knows who most of these bands are. That's the thing about making albums like this with indy artists though, some are super popular and some are totally obscure, but the companies don't know the difference.

Also, if they do another one, Amanda Palmer should do a song. She's covered Rainbow Connection live before and it was great. Of course, I'd want her to do something else for an album appearance. Regardless, I think I'll be buying this album next week just to help out on sales :p
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

If they were to release a sequel to this album, I'd like to see a track listing something like this:

1. Hey A Movie (a great way to start it up)
    2. Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear (classic show bit)
    3. Can You Picture That (a no-brainer Mayhem inclusion)
    4. Six String Orchestra (a popular show bit)
    5. Together Again (has a great melody)
    6. The First Time It Happens (the ballad)
    7. I’m Gonna Always Love You (crowd pleaser)
    8. You Can't Take No For An Answer (the wild card)
    9. Rainbow Connection (another version of this staple Muppet song)
    10. The Magic Store (classic)
    11. Saying Goodbye (another crowd pleaser)
    12. When the River Meets the Sea (a really sweet song)
    13. We Got Us (the perfect way to close)
    Rainbow Connection, Bein' Green or The Muppet Show Theme has to be represented as an anchor for the masses so I added an extra track. I liked this selection of music groups, but they could branch out with more of an eclectic blend ranging from pop to indie to R&B.
  4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

She did? Nice! I'll admit, half the artists I have no idea who they are on the cd...many seem, I guess "adult contemporary" or something? There's a zillion and a half nerdy alt rock/college indie hipster bands that would be tripping over themselves at the chance to cover Muppet songs

I guess my issue is I don't feel heart. I don't feel any passion from the cd. My absolute favorite muppet song is "Movin Right Along", and its treated so haphazardly and without soul in my view.

Could you imagine Joanna Newsom, Florence and the Machine or Regina Spectre cover Im Going to go back there someday or Wishing Song? Or Zoey Descenel's She and Him covering Movin Right Along. That's why so many people have turned away from the 90's mall pop punk/tough guy rap rock and other sounds of a decade ago for more eclectic and passionate sorts of music and record companies have noticed that.
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I agree with Can You Picture That and Magic Store...surprised those weren't included.
    Can You Picture That is my favorite Muppet song next to Movin Right Along.
  6. Psammeadboi

Psammeadboi Active Member

The album has grown on me over the last week. So much in fact that I spent some time creating my own album art for it. It can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr8gonzo/6085868555/

I have to admit that I really enjoy "Movin' Right Along." I think it really captures the fun and adventure of a cross-country trip! "I"m Going to Go Back There Someday," one of my absolute favorite songs, has really grown on me, too. Rachael Yamagata really captures the hopefulness the song conveys and the production is well handled, soulful and light.
  7. Pork

Pork Active Member

I was skeptical about this. And I am still skeptical about some of the songs.
    I am not a fan of Amy Lee's version of halfway down the stairs, a bit devo about that one.
    But I really like going to go back there some day. And Weezer and the Muppets is always a win in my book.
  8. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

Every time i listen to Mr. Bassman in the car i feel there is an ambulance behind me and i need to pull over. there are a few parts in the song that's sounds like a siren. Love the song though!
  9. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

This is the first time I get to comment on the Cd. I Love most of the songs, I think the only song i really have any issues with is Mahna mahan. The song just dones not sound
    right to me for some strange reason. however I can see Jimmy Fallon trying to sing that
    song on his show.
    The ones I love the most are the Muppet Show theme, both the song and the video.
    Rainbow Connection I really feel that weezer really did an awesome job on this song. It's such a wonderful song anyways and the way they sounded with Hayley williams was just a wonderful mix.
    Movin right along and Night life are also wonderful songs these bands are really rocking and you can tell in both songs that the aritsts are just loving singing these great songs.
    the last one i love a whole lot is halfway down the stairs. being a Amy Lee fan doesn;t
    hurt but I really think she has a beautiefull voice and sings the song very softly and
    soothing.
    All in all I really think that if your dowing this cd you really need to give it the chance it
    deserves. There is some really great songs on here that in some caese have not seen a cd
    relesse in some time, and they are done very well with some real big names.
    this is the right dierction for Muppet Music I love it! great job Disney!
  10. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Of all the songs, my favorite has to be Movin' Right Along - Alkaline Trio (even though I don't know who they are :)). It's the only one, I feel, that really keeps to the spirit of the songs. I didn't like Wishing Song - The Airborne Toxic Even, even though I got really excited when I saw it listed as a track. Overall it's OK, but I wish it had been handled a little better. I *really* hope they release a sequel, because they left out a lot of good songs.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

OMG! The Wishing Song my favorite listing on the album. It's also my favorite moment on the Muppet Show featuring my favorite character. That particular track inspired me to download one of Airborne Toxic Event's albums. Love them. I thought they handled it all perfectly. To each their own taste I guess. :concern: That's the great thing about this album. Lots to choose from. :flirt:

I've found myself listening to this album a lot more than expected.
  12. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

I've listened to the full album about 6 times so far.
  13. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I'm sorry ^^; It's not BAD song, just not what I would have done. It's slowly growing on me, though.
  14. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

It isn't growing on me, but I agree with you. It's not a bad song.

I knew buying an album full of bands I've never heard of was going to be a matter of hits-n-misses. To be honest, I just bought it for the fifty Disney Movie Rewards points I needed to get a Home On The Range DVD (don't judge me), but I wound up glad I did.

The only songs I'm not particularly fond of are the aforementioned Wishing Song and Halfway Down The Stairs (and my brother expressed his dissatisfaction with Bein' Green's length by pretending to fall asleep). But other than that, I love it. :electric:
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The only two tracks i hardly listen to are Mr Baseman and Mahna Mahna. I appreciate that some songs stayed traditional while others took a risk and I still feel the Muppety spirit in all of them. :sing:
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I will... mainly because that thing was like an acid trip. I still can't decide if I enjoyed it or not. I think it ate my brain.

Yeah, I still don't know if I want to get this thing or not. Some of it sounds pretty fun, but I think the video version of the OK Go Muppet Show theme Cover just does too much visually to have the same impact audibly. Plus, come on... sweetest part of the music video was Dr. Teeth waking up in cold sweats, only to find out the band was in his bed all along.
  17. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Eh, I liked it. :smirk:

I saw it on The Hub stretched to fill an hour-and-fifty-minute time slot (original run time 76 min.). I just wanted to get the DVD so I can watch it without a commercial break every five minutes. :grouchy:
  18. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

19. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i think i have to agree Mahna Mahna takes some getting used to
    i think the fray was just a random band to cover that one they usually arnt so upbeat and jumpy in the songs ive heard by them, i feel like they shouldve coverd the wishing song

my other mini gripe is Hope that something better comes along mostly because its one guy singing as oppose to the 2 it normally is

personally i like all but one world but i was never a big emmet otter fan, i enjoy it but its not on my ipod
  20. 1. Theme - holy crap acid trip. That's what it sounds like to me...
    2. Rainbow Connection - FTW. Love Hayley and River's voices, sound fab together.
    3. Mahna Mahna - sounds just like the original, except I keep thinking the guy (since I know what The Fray normally sounds like) is going to hurt his throat.
    4. Movin' - excellent and fun.
    5. Our World - Pretty, but what the heck is this song from? I don't recognize it...
    6. Halfway - emo! Makes this song infinitely more depressing than originally. Whoops. Maybe Gwen Stefani would've been a better pic?
    7. Bassman - catchy. Still prefer the original.
    8. Wishing - huh? Where is this one from?!?! It's just ok...
    9. Night Life - am starting to feel dumb, as I don't know this one either. Also, the singer sounds familiar.
    10. Bein' - nice, though I could ideally see someone like Jack Johnson or Dave Matthews doing this one.
    11. Somethin' Better - Little slow, but I really dig Matt Nathanson, so I guess it gets a pass, lol.
    12. Back There - WOW, beautiful voice. Hope she goes far. Someone earlier mentioned Florence and the Machines, and I think she sounds like the lead singer.

I'm surprised with all the weird, that they didn't get Lady Gaga or something...