1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Green Album

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Aug 15, 2011.

?

What is your favorite song from The Green Album?

1. The Muppet Show Theme - OK Go

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. Rainbow Connection - Weezer

15 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Mahna Mahna - The Fray

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Movin' Right Along - Alkaline Trio

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Our World - My Morning Jacket

8 vote(s)
    9.6%
  6. Halfway Down The Stairs - Amy Lee

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. Mr. Bassman - Sondre Lerche

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. Wishing Song - The Airborne Toxic Event

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  9. Night Life - Brandon Saller

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  10. Bein' Green - Andrew Bird

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  11. I Hope That Something Better Comes Along - Matt Nathanson

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  12. I'm Going to Go Back There Someday - Rachael Yamagata

8 vote(s)
    9.6%

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Beginning Tuesday August 16, we'll be playing all the songs from The Muppets Green Album on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to Muppet Central Radio on Live365 or Radio Terra. You can also stream the entire album from NPR's website for a limited time beginning today.

Download or order The Muppets Green Album which officially debuts next Tuesday August 23. Since most of us will be getting "The Green Album", we'd like to mention that if you order the set from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly and help make future upgrades possible. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the album with a low-price guarantee. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through Amazon links on our site.

Once you listen to "The Muppets Green Album", post here and let us know your thoughts on this anticipated release.
  2. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Will be writing a full review later (am debating whether i want to write it for the Mindset ... been burned a couple of times with my articles being edited to the point of losing the meaning... or just posting it here.)

But my fave track so far is definately Our World - that's the one i would most likely be listening to over and over even if it wasn't a Muppet cover. Runner-up: I'm Going to Go Back There Someday.

Biggest flaw: none of the tracks are bad...but whenever someone does a cover, they need to have something of their own to add or basically there's no reason to listen to it if the original was already excellent. Some of the tracks fall into the category of not taking that needed extra step but i'll go into more detail when i post the full review.
  3. I think 'Wishing Song' is my fave. SO buying this disc!
  4. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Think I'll wait until this is reduced to 2.99 or something. Sure it won't be long, I'll only listen once then put it on the shelf to gather dust! Really not doing it for me this album. Sorry!

Chris
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  5. LisaMonster

LisaMonster New Member

My favourite is probably Andrew Bird's Bein' Green, but I'm a big Andrew Bird fan to begin with.

Movin' Right Along, Halfway Down the Stairs, Mr. Bassman, and Rainbow Connection are all up there, too.

I'm digging this album.
  6. CalciferBoheme

CalciferBoheme New Member

I'm going to go Back There Someday.

Of course, it was already one of my favorites, but she did an amazing job.

I like the album over all, though not as much as I was hoping. Did anyone else have problems hearing Mr. Bassman?
  7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

So Arcade Fire, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Karen O, James Murphy and LCD Soundsystem, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Empire of the Sun, Flaming Lips, Phoenix, Mumford and Suns, Beirut, The Decemberists, Silversun Pickups, Animal Collective, etc were busy?

I guess I'm just don't see the 90's mall pop punk sound reflective of today's best artists.
    Most these are dated sounding bands Hot Topic tweens were big into a decade ago. I actually cringed listening to "Movin Right Along", which is by far my favorite all time Muppet song.
    CalciferBoheme and Barry Lee like this.
  8. outerelf

outerelf Active Member

I have to admit, I don't know very american bands, or bands at all really; so while I didn't really recognize anyone on the album I enjoyed listening to it.

But I will have to agree that it isn't something that I'll buy right away. it doesn't have the quality to stick in my head completely.
  9. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

I liked the majority of it, but I'm also a fan of most of the artists involved. A couple of the songs were questionable for me, but for the most part I like it. I'm Going to Go Back There Someday reduced me to tears - beautiful cover of that one.
  10. Stulz

Stulz Member

"Our World" by My Morning Jacket is just perfect!
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

My top two faves are The Wishing Song and The Muppet Show Theme. They both demonstrate the most band-style creativity while maintaining true to the spirit and melody of the original.

I also like Weezer's Rainbow Connection. There's nothing wrong with singing the song straight, but I expected something more original sounding from them.

The most disappointing song is Mahna Mahna from the Fray. Whatever it is they tried to do just didn't work. I'll be sliding Cake's version of the song into that slot instead.
    Muppet fan 123 and Bannanasketch like this.
  12. LisaMonster

LisaMonster New Member

I agree with this. It's just pretty "bleh" and kind of breaks the flow of the album, imho
  13. Psammeadboi

Psammeadboi Active Member

I'm curious why "Our World" is included on this album. I think it's a fantastic song, but it seems like an odd choice for this album. Any insight into this?
  14. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I don't know how they managed to get it slipped in but i'm glad they did. Not only is it by far one of the best tracks, but My Morning Jacket were let down twice before when they tried to do something Muppet related so i figure Diz owed 'em one!! Besides now fans actually have a neat lil' bargaining chip - Diz was nice enough to allow a Henson song from Emmet Otter to Disney for inclusion on Green Album, so now hopefully The Mouse will return the favor and allow the frog to appear in an uncut video release of the special now! It's only fair.
    MissPiggyFan98 and frogboy4 like this.
  15. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I will be honest, I did not like it that much. I hate, as beaker put it, that mall pop punk Hot Topic sound. Why do all men have to sing like girls?

OK Go was interesting. At least they put their own spin on it. It was better than most of the other songs.
    Weezer was probably the best on here, and thats saying a lot coming from me.
    The Fray and Sondre Lerche (who?) sounded bored beyond belief
    I dont mind Alkaline Trio, but they just weren't doing it for me.
    Brandon Saller (again, who?) did the second best if you ask me. The drum solo ruined it though. I hate drum solos.

I wont even bother commenting on anything else as its mostly negative
    Barry Lee likes this.
  16. RockSTAR girl

RockSTAR girl Member

its straight up terrible.
    freddyfrills likes this.
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Downloaded the album at midnight and I love it! I love ok go, the drum solo in Night Life (because it's actually in the song to begin with) and most of the other interpretations. This album might have an indie and sometimes emo vibe, but it is not anything Hot Topic related. Love the album or hate it, I think that's an incorrect assignation. I understand people wanting something more traditional-sounding, but it appears to me that most of the criticism comes from fans who would have preferred an actual Muppet album. That's a legitimate point and they should have reissued the classic soundtracks years ago. The new one is coming soon when the movie hits.

So yeah, I'm a happy frogboy!
  18. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

Just got Mine a few Seconds Ago

[​IMG]
    Janice Jocelyn likes this.
  19. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I actually forgot Night Life had a drum solo, but guess I forgot about it because I hate drum solos :smirk:

And I'm going to laugh if the cd ends up in Hot Topic.

I dunno. The bands they picked just aren't my type of music. I like aggressive, angry music, not nice girly men music. But whatever floats your boat.

Also, am i the only one who feels the Foo Fighters should have done something?
  20. Psammeadboi

Psammeadboi Active Member

I think there are some odd choices on here and I still wonder how "Our World" made it on the album, but the second half of the album has grown on me. I really like " I Hope that Something Better Comes Along" especially since that song hasn't really been heard on an album for a long time now.

I'm really not a fan of OK Go's take on The Muppet Show Theme as I don't think they really captured the song's essence. I think "Night Life" sounds like the song most likely to be played on the radio - it feels the least like a Muppet Song, which could be why it hasn't really shown up on any other albums.

It's an okay collection of songs by an okay selection of artists.