Your Thoughts: Kevin Clash Biography

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our review of Kevin Clash's new biography, "My Life As A Furry Red Monster" is on-line. Along with the review, you'll see pictures of Kevin throughout the years along with an excerpt from the book's first chapter.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/clash_book.shtml

Also, if you order Kevin's biography from the link below, a portion of the order will go back to Muppet Central, helping us keep the site and new projects coming in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0767923758/muppetcentral/

Post below and let us know what you think about Kevin Clash's new biography.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Interesting.

This may have to be a part of my budding Muppet book collection. I might want to read it from the library at first, just like I did with Carroll Spinney's autobiography.

I really want to see what makes Kevin Clash, and subsequently Elmo, tick. I drink this stuff up. I only wish that Frank Oz would do one, write about working with Jim, and then (as if THAT weren't enough) discuss some of his most famous characters (Piggy, Yoda, Grover, Bert, etc.) and kind of discuss what went into the voices. I for one would like that. Whether it happens or not is up in the air.

BJ

BEAR

Reaction score
For those who have already read the book, does Kevin discuss any of his other characters besides Elmo (Hoots, Natasha, Clifford, etc.)?

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
BEAR said:
For those who have already read the book, does Kevin discuss any of his other characters besides Elmo (Hoots, Natasha, Clifford, etc.)?
No he doesn't discuss any of those... I think he briefly mentions Clifford and Muppets Tonight when he talks about his first experience in flying to LA and an awards show. That's is an interesting point though, I hadn't even thought about the fact of him not mentioning his other Sesame Street characters.

For those of you who were there, he does talk about MuppetFest which is really cool.

I agree with BJ, I would LOVE for Frank Oz to write a book. Although there is some Jim stuff in this book which is really nice. I love reading about Jim and how others perceived him.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I finally found a copy. I think I am halfway through. The book is good, though Kevin Clash talks too much about Elmo, and not enough about his other characters. It is cool that he mentions some of his other characters, including ones who weren't around for too long, like Ferlingetti Donnizetti, and also some characters who I haven't even heard of untill now, like Juggles the Juggler.

It seems like there are times when Kevin Clash mentiosn the year of some sort of event, gets the year wrong, and then later mentions the event again, only to get it right. I guess there weren't any proof readers to make sure it was consistent. For example, early in the book, he says that Richard Hunt asked him to take over as Elmo in 1983, but he later talks about performing Elmo for the first time in 1985. There is another time in the book where he incorrectly states that Elmo's World began in 1995, but later correctly says that it began on November 16, 1998.

BEAR

Reaction score
I just started reading the book this weekend and I absolutely LOVE it!! I hate having to put it down. I have only gotten through the first chapter, but it has captured me. This is such an inspirational read and his stories and messages are beautiful. It is structured in a way that is similar to Caroll Spinney's book. Each chapter with a specific lesson or message. Like Spinney's book he shares a lot of wonderful stories from his past, including his childhood and life before the Muppets, but he also shares how he has learned so much through his own character. He has been taught by Elmo. My favorite part is where he talks about how when you throw something out into the universe, it will eventually come right back to you. We can all learn from that in the way we treat each other. Do good and good will be returned. I am thrilled to read the rest of the book. I have found a new respect for Kevin Clash and even more respect and understanding of Elmo and his mission to the world.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
My two cents.

This is just about the same thing I said in the "Last Book you've read" thread. But here's what I think...

Pros-As Bear said it's an "inspirational read", I agree with that 100%. There were a lot of points in that book that made me think and even made me feel good about myself. It's probably the only book I've read in my whole life that made me really start thinking "if I really put my mind to it, I can do it". Truth be told, that alone makes it worth the 20 bucks I had to cough up for it.

Cons- Bearly talks about any of his other characters. It would of been nice if he talked about what it was like to perform say...Leon from the Jim Henson Hour or even Baby Sinclair of Dinosaures fame. I mean sure Elmo is pretty much the butter to his bread, so to speak, but still it would of been great if he talked about say...why Leon didn't really catch on or how Clifford came about, just something besides Elmo. Also I would of love to have to have seen a few pictures of Kevin's early work as a puppeteer, and maybe him with Clifford or Elmo on his arm.

But still overall a great book to read. Anyone who has not read the book yet. I think you should, you'll like it. Even if you don't really like Elmo.

PS- I'm sorry for being a little off topic here, but what is Carroll Spinney's book called?

BEAR

Reaction score
Spinney's book is called The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch).

Yes, Kevin Clash's book is a must-read. It might even make some of you appreciate Elmo a little more and realize the good things he has done for the world and children.

I think it would have been nice to read mention of his other characters too, atleast the other Sesame characters. Sure, Elmo is the most popular, but Hoots was introduced about the same time and was quite a prominant part on Sesame Street for a while. It seems that all he ever plays is Elmo now with the occasional Hoots appearance and now rare Natasha appearance. He only has a very small few of characters. But the book is understandably more about his relationship with Elmo and it is clear that the red monster has had a more profound influence on the world at large. Most people wouldn't really remember Kingston Livingston III or Hoots anyway.
Hey, wouldn't it have been fun to see a photo of Kevin surrounded by all of his characters like the one with Jim Henson surrounded by his that floats around in books all the time, or like the one of Carrol with Big Bird and Oscar on his book? It would have Kevin with Elmo, Hoots, Baby Natasha, Kingston Livingston III, Ferlingetti Donnizetti, Clifford, Leon and Baby Sinclaire. Or if it's only Sesame characters that would be ok too.

At any rate...I still say again that this book is worth reading more than once.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Spinney's book is called The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch).
I think it would have been nice to read mention of his other characters too,
Hey, wouldn't it have been fun to see a photo of Kevin surrounded by all of his characters like the one with Jim Henson surrounded by his that floats around in books all the time, or like the one of Carrol with Big Bird and Oscar on his book? It would have Kevin with Elmo, Hoots, Baby Natasha, Kingston Livingston III, Ferlingetti Donnizetti, Clifford, Leon and Baby Sinclaire. Or if it's only Sesame characters that would be ok too.

At any rate...I still say again that this book is worth reading more than once.
Thanks for that, cause I'm looking for more books to read on the net and I wasn't sure what that one was called. So thanks Bear.

Yeah I would of loved to have seen a pic like that in the book. There was also one for Richard Hunt on a fan website. It's a drawing of Hunt with most (you know at least he's most famous) Muppet characters. It was a great pic with all them saying "Your face", it had Scooter, Janice, Sweetums, SS characters, Jurinor Gorg. It would of been cool if there was at least a drawing of Kevin Clash and his characters as well. Maybe even add Leon and Spliter (From TMNT) to it as well. That would of been awesome. Oh and maybe Billy Bunny and Bebop (Bunny).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
It seems like there are times when Kevin Clash mentiosn the year of some sort of event, gets the year wrong, and then later mentions the event again, only to get it right. I guess there weren't any proof readers to make sure it was consistent.
That kind of thing always annoys me, it's the proof reader's job to make sure dates and facts are consistent. But in my experience, autobiographies are often not checked for errors. Maybe they're hesitant to correct the person the book is about.