1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Authentic Animal Replica

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by Phillip, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

We now have on-line the most in-depth review you’ll find of the Animal Muppet Replica. Read all the details on this highly-anticipated release in this review by James Carroll.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/replica_animal.shtml

Also, if you order your Animal or Kermit Replica from the link below, a portion of the order will go back to Muppet Central, helping us keep the site and new projects coming in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=...=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

The forthcoming Gonzo Replica is also available here…

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/aff-home.asp?id=MU-305201722&number=MRDS156

If you have questions or comments about the Animal Replica or have your own styling tips for Animal be sure to post in this discussion.
  2. Luke

Luke Active Member

Well done Jamie. Brilliant review and very fair. I liked the photos of yours, what a difference you can make with these compared to the Master Replica site photos. I agree about the mouth, the error should have been sorted so he could have mouth closed before the production run.
  3. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

yea i think your right but i think that theu really dont want to mouths to close because it would be to easy to make then into puppets and then sold on ebay. Having that bar or whatever would prevent that from happining.
  4. Luke

Luke Active Member

no it has a mouth hinge, so it was supposed to close
  5. Ignohippo

Ignohippo Member

Fantastic review Jamie!
  6. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Been thinking about this replica, especially after reading the new review on MC.

One thing that keeps being mentioned is the disappointment that Animal doesnt come with neck, wrist and ankle cuffs!

Here is a challenge, can anyone find a picture of an official Animal Poser puppet wearing ankle and wrist cuffs? And if you can post the pic on here!

There are a few pics of him wearing his neck collar and chain, but there are also a lot of pics where he is not.

I think the cuffs and collar are more often added to Animal in Animated or illustrated forms and not so much on the actual poser/ puppet, maybe thats why Master Replicas didnt include them?

I may be wrong on this, but look at pics and you may agree..........

Chris
  7. MuppetCaper

MuppetCaper Active Member

I do remember seeing Animal wearing his collar on TMS. Floyd Pepper would hold his chain and he had his collar on. I don't know about as far as posers go though.
  8. He was wearing his spiked collar and cuffs all the way through The Muppet Movie too. To be honest, I haven't seen many "poser" pics of Animal until the 90s revamp of The Muppets. By that time Animal rarely wore his signature "Sgt Peppers" top or the spiked collar and cuffs.
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

A minor photo correction

Thanks. I tried to be fair.

There was one comparison photo included that isn't a fair representation of the poser after he softens. The one published at the moment should be swapped out quickly for this one. As much as I complain about the MR photos I really needed to treat this one comparison shot to show the upmost potential the product has without any alteration (except for coloring the seam). I just cut out the background and stuck him next to the classic poser for this shot. Posing him, shooting and cutting together this photo took under 20 minutes.

This really is a fantastic product. I don't believe it to be one to skip. Upon arrival you might feel differently, but now I can't imagine not having him.
  10. MuppetCaper

MuppetCaper Active Member

To tell you honestly, I think the Mr version looks a lot better than the real photo puppet in that photo you put up frogboy.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Almost misread that thinking you said that the MR picture on their site looks good. I agree that the MR puppet in that shot does look great. It took some skill with posing and lighting. Their version is shinier and newer. Still not entirely happy about the eye shape and focus.
  12. Maybe a strange question but has anyone decided to trim his hair? His moustache seems longer in the MR replica than on any promotional photographs I can find.
  13. Luke

Luke Active Member

I think a lot of the photography is down the lighting and posing, as it is with the real posers. Yourself and Antony have had some amazing shots - they are probably what has sold Animal to me if anything. There are parts of the MR Animal poser that are similar to the most recent Disney one - if you look at the Muppets.com wallpaper the top lip fur is more similar than the 70's/80's posers which had much furrier top lips. Eyes are fairly similar too - more width. Although he isn't as hairy head-wise! Someone should post their MR poser like that and do a comparison, lol.

http://muppets.go.com/wallpaper/wallpaper_4_1024x768.jpg
  14. Ignohippo

Ignohippo Member

That is SO funny! I was going to ask the same thing.
    I've had the urge to trim his moustache over the last day or two but I can't get the nerve up to do it.

I really think a big part of the problem with the MR Animal is the overall "mushroom" look to his hair. Trimming the moustache would certainly be a step in the right direction (and not too much, maybe 2-3 inches) to achieve more of the round look the real poser.

After all is said and done, I'll probably leave them the way they are. I'll mess with the stuff I can fix (his tongue, hair, etc.), but I don't want to alter him in a way that would be permanent (by cutting his hair or removing his pupils).
  15. Ignohippo

Ignohippo Member

Has anyone else noticed that the MR Animal face actually looks more like Crazy Harry than it looks like Animal? I think it's the overly large bags under his eyes.

If someone knew about dying materials (and had some money to burn), they could probably make a great looking Crazy Harry out of this Animal.
  16. Kevin Knight

Kevin Knight New Member

Wow he hunches

Guys, Hi,

Was watching MTM on a day off and realized wow Animal hunches. From seeing the height different between the K and A photo puppet, I looked during the scene when they're in the scam producers office and Animal is the same hieght as the frog. I know I know realistically the guys were underneath and prolly modified their ar length to make their muppet around the same height in their monitor but anywho, thought I'd throw that out to you guys.

Kevin
  17. Luke

Luke Active Member

Is it true his eyes don't stay open? I'm seeing all these pics of him wide-eyed so whats the default position of his eyes when he's just left alone to his own devices?
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

People have been pinning the eyes wide. The eyes won't ever completely shut, even pinned. The eyes are at a natural resting position like the comparison photo. Actually, I tried to pull them up as much as possible without pins for that shot. They could appear a little lower. So that's the answer. Pretty much like the review shots and sometimes droopier.
  19. Luke

Luke Active Member

oh thats fine, i think it looks great. thanks jamie, ;)
  20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think a lot of the photos with Animal's eyes pinned so widely and wildly back help fuel the Crazy Harry resemblance. I tell you, my Animal looks better each day. I actually trimmed (very slightly and sparingly) a few stray hairs on the replica today and it improved him so much.

As for the bags under his eyes - in the puppet they are made of foam. Here they are fleece covered sacks. That gives them a slightly bigger and puffier appearance, but I think he looks fine. I am just so happy with this item. It’s been a week and a half and I feel even more excited than the first night – and that was exciting!

:halo: :crazy: