Your dream 2011 Muppet Promotions

dwmckim

Reaction score
These i've been thinking (and saying!) the Muppets really need to do for about two years now - but with the 2011 promotion, it's crucial:

- WHERE ARE THE MUPPETS ON THE DISNEY CHANNEL? Yeah, there were the two Studio DC specials (and why have they not been released on dvd yet in the USA? If we have to wait for TMS S4 why not get SDC out in the meantime?) but they're never in any kind of promos or anything. Just about all Disney's major family properties get airtime but Muppets are conspiciously absent.

- MUPPETS.COM PROMOTION - the Muppets' best-kept secret which shouldn't BE a secret. The Youtube videos are marvelous but all the great stuff on muppets.com are also among some of the Muppets best stuff, and people should know about and see it. Again, going back to Disney Channel, they have commercials and plugs for all their other websites...WHY NOT MUPPETS.COM? Heck, there should even be print ads and why not even billboards as we go into 2011 Muppet Hype? A simple black and white billboard just simply saying "Muppet.com" (with a possible tagline of "More fun than humanly possible" - yes, borrowing from the original Muppet Movie tagline) would be awesome (and better looking than anything covered with ugly poser photos)

- Get Bohemian Rhapsody and some of the other virals off the net and elsewhere - movie trailers, Disney Channel interstitials. Not that it should be a part of the movie proper, but BR would be a nifty "warmup" for the movie as part of the preview reel shown before it starts.

...and a new idea...

Obviously with Sesame Workshop's campaign to get Cookie Monster as host of SNL, they wouldn't do it (even if just a total parody) if they weren't prepared to put their money where their mouth is and follow through if they were approached to do so meaning the Muppets (or at least Rudman) is up to the task of doing live puppetry in the 90 minute SNL format. The Classic Muppets should definately be on the guest roster for hosting SNL just prior to the movie. A lot of the target audience and cameo guests have close ties to SNL and it seems quite a natural fit. Not to mention a nice little retribution to the debut season when they were the "Mucking Fuppets" showing they work well on the show after all...they were just "ahead of their time" in '75! I haven't watched SNL for awhile so i can't give any suggestions on current sketches or cast members etc they would do well with but i would LOVE to see the Classic cast do a Land of Gorch skit playing the characters themselves (you know Fozzie would be The Mighty Fozzog!) - and Scred could even make a cameo somewhere (not necessarily in Gorch but some other random unexpected place)

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Since we've mentioned re-releasing Palisades stuff. Maybe because I was watching the movie today, but Disney should look into re-releasing the MCC Mini Muppets for the holidays next year. I want to use them as Christmas decorations, but don't want to use the ones I display with the rest of my Palisades collection and a new set would be awesome.

beaker

Reaction score
Let's not forget, Shout DIDN'T complete Inspector Gadget OR Heathcliff.

But Disney will release these things in time if they ever get those rights re-cleared with Michael Jackson's estate (as he owned some of the music used on the show), provided that's the reason for the hold up.

Muppet Babies is an improbability since, well, someone said it... reintroducing that brand is confusing since they're trying to get the REAL Muppets out there to get this movie out of the way. If it's a hit, I'm sure in time we'll see something. Secondly, unless rights hurdles are cleared (MB was made during a semi-partnership between Columbia and Henson... keep that in mind), it's not an impossibility... but we wouldn't see the episodes we WANT to see. We'd see the last season episodes that didn't use any footage that wasn't public domain, and most of those episodes aren't that much fun to watch.
For those of us not traditionally bound by a need to wait, we already have all 8 seasons of Muppet Babies on dvd(as well as near perfect versions of the full 1987 airing of MFC) :excited:
If companies refuse to release shows like Muppet Babies or Rocko's Modern Life, then they have to understand fans will seek...um, alternatives. Strangely enough Swat Kat's entire run is being released on dvd soon.

beaker

Reaction score
Not sure why people think that the possibility even exists of a re-release of the Palisades figures. Basically just get out your wallets and go to ebay.com, as you really would have to realize the molds and intricate process(which many of us followed with Palisades from 2001-2005), not to mention licensing wouldn't make sense. Jazwares was able to release(albeit slightly retooled) older Toy Island Sonic the hedgehog figures, and NECA was able to release classic 1982 Tron figures because those molds are simple and it was just a few figures.

What we need are smaller Muppet figure packs, similar to the options we got with Toy Story 3. Now Im not a Toy Story collector, but they released figures in large, 4", and "buddy hero" size. I could definitely see that working well with the Muppets. We don't need insanely detailed down to the smallest pore aesthetics like we got with Palisades, nor that scale. 3 3/4 - 4" scale would work wonders.

The Halloween special...again not sure why people are so stuck on this idea. The original ideas for it seemed absolutely terrible, and they have much more important things to be working on. What we really should all hope for is a weekly new Muppet show. Even a hybrid talk show/interviews on the street thing would be cool.

Finally I have to say DWMckim is so right on the money.
The BEST new Muppet material is mostly all on Muppets.com.
And it's bizarre the Muppets are MIA from any Muppet channel..hopefully that will change. They have wayyy more of a representation on The Hub.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's a few other things that should be done, which I don't think any of us have suggested:
  • Have the Muppets appear in a float at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, preferably before or after the Sesame Street float. It'd especially be great since it'd be on the day of the movie's release. Maybe they should also get Jason Segal to appear on the float with the Muppets (How I Met Your Mother is filmed in New York, though we don't know if it'll still be in production next year... And personally I think that series should end this season; It's as good as it's always been, but I'm ready for Ted to meet the mother).
  • Put existing Muppet clips (as well as new viral videos) on the Muppet Studio YouTube channel. If Disney doesn't want confusion regarding new and old clips, maybe they should start a second YouTube channel, maybe call it "Muppet Classics" and include sketches from TMS, JHH, and MT, animated segmnets from Little Muppet Monsters, clips from Muppet Babies, the Muppet Time insertials, and other things (especially clips from productions that might be hard to clear for a full release).

And some suggestions for promotions for when the DVD comes out in 2012 (though I won't mind if Disney wants to release them much sooner):
  • The Muppet Show: Season 5 (if TMS:S4 isn't out yet... and if by chance seasosn 4 and 5 are out by then, then release a complete series set... But don't release a complete series set until all five seasons are released seperately).
  • The complete Little Muppet Monsters on DVD. It may feel weird seeing this on DVD before Muppet Babies, and it may be obscure... But the Muppets would be the selling point. After all, "Muppet" is in the title. The cover can include a main image of the monsters, and smaller images of the animated Muppets (perhaps include the animated Kermit and Fozzie in the bottom corner, and the Pigs in Space crew above the title).
  • A book collection of every Muppet comic strip from the 1980s (I think three volumes would be needed to get the complete Muppet comic strip in book form).
  • A book of every Muppet comic story from Muppet Magazine.

muppet boy

Reaction score
All of these ideas are very nice.

Of course, season 4 and 5, Uncut MFC, and Blu Ray releases of previous Muppet movies are a given. Here are some more ideas.

Release a moderately priced Muppet Christmas Special/ Movie Boxset. Include unedited MFC, LTS, MCC, and anything else Disney can get their hands on.

Release a set that includes Hey Cinderella, The Frog Prince, and the other special.

Lionsgate could also get rights to release unedited versions of The Christmas Toy and Emmet Otter.

Licsence Muppet Babies to the Hub.

Follow through with the new halloween special. Surely they can film this special this coming year.

Lots and Lots of promotions on television and the internet.

I'm sure a lot more could be done to push the muppets back into the public with full force.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Couple more things i keep forgetting to post...

We totally need a Muppet "Scene-It" game as well as other kind of trivia games.

It's been too long since we've had good Muppet calendars in the US that weren't imports.

With renewed interest from new fans, old fans, and always-been-fans in the various characters, i'm thinking there should be a coffee-table book called "It's Time to Meet the Muppets: Top Frogs, Big Wig Pigs and Obscure Fan Favorites" which is a guide to the various major, minor, and obscure characters chock full of photos and nifty trivia.

Since the main new characters in the film are Muppet fans, i'd like to see lots of shout-outs/Easter eggs referencing Muppet fandom: Gary can mention a rumor he heard on Muppet Central, Walter can say how he always dreamed of being drawn by Chris Smigliano, a day planner in Kermit's office could read "2:00: Interview with R Dozier", Walter can be sending an email to d.w. - things like that!

Drtooth

Reaction score
For those of us not traditionally bound by a need to wait, we already have all 8 seasons of Muppet Babies on dvd(as well as near perfect versions of the full 1987 airing of MFC) :excited:
If companies refuse to release shows like Muppet Babies or Rocko's Modern Life, then they have to understand fans will seek...um, alternatives. Strangely enough Swat Kat's entire run is being released on dvd soon.

Well, Rocko WAS technincally... I don't know to what extent, but they were official burn on demands and they cost an unreasonable 40 bucks for so many episodes. And I bet they're the Nicktoons edited versions, so you don't get Rocko's temp job in specialty telephone services.

Not sure why people think that the possibility even exists of a re-release of the Palisades figures. Basically just get out your wallets and go to ebay.com, as you really would have to realize the molds and intricate process(which many of us followed with Palisades from 2001-2005), not to mention licensing wouldn't make sense. Jazwares was able to release(albeit slightly retooled) older Toy Island Sonic the hedgehog figures, and NECA was able to release classic 1982 Tron figures because those molds are simple and it was just a few figures.

What we need are smaller Muppet figure packs, similar to the options we got with Toy Story 3. Now Im not a Toy Story collector, but they released figures in large, 4", and "buddy hero" size. I could definitely see that working well with the Muppets. We don't need insanely detailed down to the smallest pore aesthetics like we got with Palisades, nor that scale. 3 3/4 - 4" scale would work wonders.
Even though, as far as non-exclusive regular run line figures go, I'm only missing S5 Gonzo, S9 Chef (didn't want it anyway) and Marvin Suggs, I would definitely not want a rehash of the line. I want something different. Buddy Packs? GENIUS! Though, I tend to want that more for Sesame Street so we can have a new figural Telly eventually (he's on like a good half to third of the episodes, and NO merchandise?)... but that would be a great way to saddle fan favorites with Kermits, Piggys and Fozzies.

Now, I hear there's a plush line they're saving for the movie. TP said that there was a "Do not take photos" booth at Toyfair. But I wanna see more stuff than that, and I DEFINITELY wanna see Pepe in there. And would it kill them to put someone on a shirt besides Animal? The Chef was in most of the virals, after all... I'd LOVE a Chef shirt. Long as he's not doing that bad stock pose of the Italian air kiss that looks like he's toking.

Obviously with Sesame Workshop's campaign to get Cookie Monster as host of SNL, they wouldn't do it (even if just a total parody) if they weren't prepared to put their money where their mouth is and follow through if they were approached to do so meaning the Muppets (or at least Rudman) is up to the task of doing live puppetry in the 90 minute SNL format. The Classic Muppets should definately be on the guest roster for hosting SNL just prior to the movie.
I'd like an appearance of some sort... dunno about totally hosting. And I'm sure if they actually do decide to get Cookie on there, they're NEVER going to accept facebook campaigns again. Because EVERYONE's gonna want everyone on there. But we really need a media blitz somehow for it.

Lionsgate could also get rights to release unedited versions of The Christmas Toy and Emmet Otter.
You know, LG has been deathly quiet as of late...I was sure they're rerelease something else in time for Christmas, of not a Christmas special than something else. Hope they're still planning to release more Henson stuff. And again, this IS LG, so the fate of unedited EO or TCS would have to rest on if they're on the master tapes or not.

Fuzzy tape sources for TMNT cartoons... all I'm saying.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This post is not another wishlist, but a tally of some of the things that have been requested the most by different fans.
  • 11 of us have suggested The Muppet Show: Season Four (not surprisingly, that's had the most requests by my count).
  • 7 of us have suggested a new video game.
  • 6 of us have suggested an UNCUT DVD release of A Muppet Family Christmas.
  • 6 of us have suggested either a new action figure line, a rerelease of the Palisades figures, or a mix of both (one fan suggested a line of 3-4 inch figures).
  • 5 of us have suggested a comprehensive Muppet book.
  • 4 of us have suggested special edition DVDs and blu-ray releases of the Muppet movies (I wonder if I miscounted... I feel like more people suggested this).
  • 4 of us have suggested various Muppet guest appearances. Different desired shows have been expressed (at least two of us suggested having Kermit make new appearances on Sesame Street, joined by his Muppet Studios friends in their first-ever Sesame Street appearance).
  • 4 of us have sggested a fast food promotion.
  • 3 of us have suggested continuing the Muppet comic books.

There are a number of things fans kept suggesting that I didn't count, like DVD releases of Muppet Babies, Jim Henson Hour, Muppets Tonight, Muppets at Walt Disney World, and other productions. And there's a number of things that so far have only been suggested (or agreed on by somebody replying to another post... And in that list above I did count "agreements") maybe two times (like my idea of a Sesame Street DVD release focusing on Kermit's appearances).

I'm sure many of these will be suggested again and again in the coming year (and I'll be surprised if anything gets more suggestions than TMS:Season 4). Currently I don't intend on posting updated lists like this, but if somebody else wants to later on I'd be fine with it (this post would be a good starting point).