You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm about to date myself here, but does anyone remember a Perdue advertisement where a puppet buy and puppet girl talk about Chicken Nuggets with a Puppet Perdue guy? And like, the Puppets are Mr. Roger's Neighborhood style? And they were talking about all the things they dip the nuggets in which ends with the girl saying "mustard" and everyone being grossed out by it?

So, uh...fast forward to the early 90's and the only thing restaurants would give you with chicken fingers was Honey Mustard and outside of McDonalds or other fast food places, Sweet and Sour sauce took a weird backseat to it ever since. There's this local food critic show that years back was talking about how the producer of the show was annoyed they took Sweet and Sour out of the options for Chicken Fingers, so the producer had his own private sweet and sour sauce locker.

But yeah, anyway... isn't that strange that an offhand comment in a chicken nugget commercial about how such and such a condiment is disgusting and strange to use with chicken only to have a certain variant of the condiment come out as the mainstream standard?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm about to date myself here, but does anyone remember a Perdue advertisement where a puppet buy and puppet girl talk about Chicken Nuggets with a Puppet Perdue guy? And like, the Puppets are Mr. Roger's Neighborhood style? And they were talking about all the things they dip the nuggets in which ends with the girl saying "mustard" and everyone being grossed out by it?
Yup, I remember those. I was actually going through a mustard phase at the time (pretzels, etc.) and couldn't understand the puppets' reaction, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mustard is pretty much a condiment that you either like or don't. Barring mustard preferences that is. I know people who are incredibly disgusted by it, perhaps because of its strong vinegar base. One only will eat Honey mustard, and even then only a very specific brand. And I'm talking fast food dipping sauce from a specific fast food franchise specific. The other gets disgusted by the mere thought of it. I can see where the oddness of putting chicken nuggets in there would be considered a might strange. There are regional places (here specifically) where you get crap fro putting ketchup on a hot dog. And I get that because I've done it a few times on occasion, it doesn't really mesh well with the flavor to me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can see where the oddness of putting chicken nuggets in there would be considered a might strange.
I put it on Perdue nuggets all the time, lol.

There are regional places (here specifically) where you get crap fro putting ketchup on a hot dog.
Wait, really? That's really hard to wrap my head around. What are you supposed to put on it then?

Of course, I occasionally put mayo on my franks and no one gets that either, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a relatively new double standard that's perhaps one of the more ridiculous ones we've ever had in the history of double standards: so, apparently, it's okay to make fun of fat people because being fat is always a great source of comedy, but making fun of skinny people makes you a bully and scum of the earth because it's apparently fat people's way of making skinny people feel bad about themselves so the fat people can feel better about themselves.

Now, you guys know I'm not really a fan of Meghan Trainor or her emotionless robot voice, but I will come to her defense regarding "All About That Bass": as annoying and irritating as the song is with it's repetitive and robotic refrain, I fail to see how a song that's supposed to empower bigger girls to feel comfortable with and confident about their bodies is supposed to somehow be one big giant "Take that" against skinny girls.

I think I mentioned it before, but I absolutely hate how "curves" has somehow been taken completely out of context and is now used as this polite and P.C. way of refering to larger women in a more positive way as opposed to calling them fat. Y'know, when I was in middle school and sitting through health class, I remember being taught that women were specifically designed with curves as they're the children-bearing members of the human species, and therefore have curves to be able to carry those children. . . . I can even remember a time when talking about a woman's curves was a way of complementing the womanly figure she has (or as some used to refer to as the "hourglass shape"). Hollywood and the media has brainwashed so many people into thinking that having the completely straight and rail-thin body shape of like, say, Michelle Williams, is what women are "supposed" to look that real women who actually have a figure to speak of are now suddenly considered "fat," and again, this is where political correctness (I'm sorry, I'm still not used to saying, "Political sensitivity" yet) comes into play.

The more I think about, I'[m beginning to think we somehow are still living under something of a Nazi regime, only regarding the size and shape of people's outward appearance rather than a race of people that Hitler didn't like.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been talking about this for years, actually. What I hate is the double standards of:

• Anorexia is a problem but binge eating isn't a problem unless the person's thin and somehow doesn't gain much weight, but somehow obesity is a problem as well, but we're portraying it as laziness while anorexia is a mental health issue.
  • Tabloids that put overly thin celebrities on the cover as "poor, poor [X]" when someone who's slightly curvy (not even enough to be categorized as plus sized) is either "look how fat this hog is getting" or "you go girl" or both somehow.
  • The middle weight that you have to be to not be considered one way or another (crazy moron or lazy Hutt) is so incredibly narrow, and we're supposed to celebrate curvy people but make fun of them at the same time.
  • those horrifyingly stupid "worst beach body" tabloid covers that show both too thin, too fat, and for added measure (to quote Steve Smith from AD!) "to h377 with [them] for getting old." Always the fattest, "grossest" one has a "guess who?" covering their face only to find out it's an F list celebrity no one's heard of. And on the inside it's always a weird "you go girl" when the covers say "for shame on this largest land mammal for existing." And it's usually in a medium enjoyed by middle aged women who have worse bodies than that!
So essentially everything's a mind destroying paradox. We can't make fun of anorexics (even though the ones they usually interview are spoiled rotten corpses worthy of ridicule... but that's sensationalism for you) we can't make fun of slightly overweight people until we can, yet we can make fun out of huge people they trot out as strange cautionary tales that actually take quite a lot of work to get that size. It's all bullcrap and I do my best to stay out of it.

As for the terms "politically correct" and "politically sensitive" I think both terms are crap. Politically correct should stand for "Blackface gags and Asian Buckteeth were never funny, and hating people passive aggressively for the color of their skin is bad" and not "obscure school district somewhere does something on various levels of strange, so therefore everyone will be like that, so we gotta stay angry at nothing."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe I've talked about this before, but in Big Daddy, Sonny Kofax takes care of a kid who was the child of his roommate Kevin Garrity, who was out of the country at the time and didn't even believe it was his kid, and tells social services that he is the kids father. Of course Kevin told Sonny to send the kid to the foster home planned if he did not want to accept responsibility. Then when Sonny goes to court for custody, Kevin is there to be one of his co-councils, and is the only one who doens't identify himself by name to the judge. But what's the point of him not telling the court who he is? Couldn't he have taken the stands, told the court the situation, and make Sonny not guilty sooner than only getting him out of jail when it looks like there's no other way out for him (and after he realizes that he really is the father)?

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
It's really just me, but whenever I feel like watching ESPN, they start playing this annoying show with 2 guys and one of the Hosts Dad. Something about the show is irritating. Does anyone else know what I'm saying?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's really just me, but whenever I feel like watching ESPN, they start playing this annoying show with 2 guys and one of the Hosts Dad. Something about the show is irritating. Does anyone else know what I'm saying?
You don't like Highly Questionable? It's the best show on ESPN! I love Papi.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently I watched Harriet the Spy for the first time in a long time (and I had previously only seen the movie once, back in 1997), and maybe I missed something, but what's the deal with Sport paying his fathers bills?

I know that his father was an out-of-work writer who was having writers block on his current book, and they have financial problems as a result. It's said that Sport pays the bills because of this, yet unless I missed something we never see or hear anything about Sport having a real job. He says that he does the housework, but doing your own housework doesn't pay the bills.

I can't remember if it's said if his father had written books before or not, so maybe he got royalty checks from past books (and maybe they don't sell that well), or maybe his father lives off unemployment checks. When he says that he pays the bills, I figured he just meant he kept the bills organized and paid his father's money when he could, but it still seems like the son is paying his own father's bills.

Of course, when the father does sell a book and makes 10,000 dollars from it, they act as if their financial problems are over. Not sure if that was to indicate that he sold his first book, or if it was just more money than they'd ever made. Was 10,000 dollars a lot of money in 1996?

And speaking of whether it's a lot of money in that year, what's the deal with the movie seeming to alternate between taking place in the present and the time the original books were written? There seems to be a lot of modern things, but there's also things like a film festival playing old black and white movies, which isn't that far-fetched but it seems odd that Harriet would want to see those. TV Tropes also points out that the kids seem to just be out of their homes alot without any real adult supervision, mentioning that it could just be due to the time the books were written.