You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though he actually seems genuinely funny, it seems to me that Kevin Hart is quickly becoming this decade's black Steve Carell, in that he's suddenly thrown into almost every single new comedy movie that's coming out, much like Steve Carell was ten years ago. But again, Kevin Hart seems actually funny, whereas Steve Carell is one of the most lifeless, robotic, deadpan, emotionless actor ever.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You remember Disney wanted to relaunch their animated film with The Princess and The Frog back in 2009? It apparently led to mixed results. Yes, Disney is still turning classic fairy tales into animated films, but they're no longer releasing them under the fairy tale's actual title, instead releasing them with adverbs as the movie's identifiers. Rapunzel became Tangled. The story of the Snow Queen was changed to Frozen. And their version of Jack and The Beanstalk will be rebranded as Gigantic. Subtle misdirection from the Mouse House is now the name of the game since they want to keep producing the classic childhood stories. :skeptical:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Tangled was a case of trying to make a "girly" sounding film more appealing to little boys. Considering the marketing of the film, I find that was a big mistake, since they made all the trailers come off as a late to the party Shrek knockoff. The film originally had a title to the extent of "Rapunzel Retangled."

I can kinda see where Disney went wrong with Princess and the Frog, releasing it too close to Chipmunks the Squeakual and Avatar. The fact they thought it was a blunder due to the film's title or the fact it was traditional animation was idiotic, since it was their fault they released the horrible Zemeckis Mo-Cap Christmas Carol in the cushy pre-Thanksgiving spot. had the dates been switched TP&TF would have at least made something more modest. But they took the blame as "Princess films come off too girly" and restructured Rapunzel's marketing and title. Then Winnie the Pooh came out, after years of turning it into a preschool, nay, prepreschool franchise. Because it was a preschool based film (even though it wasn't intended to be) it didn't do well (was packed when I saw it), and they threw their entire 2-D revival under the bus. Though to be fair, they gave us Wreck it Ralph, Big Hero Six, and Zootopia, so I can't get too mad about that.

Tangled did set it off, and I think that was the theme. They changed the stories so dramatically that Snow Queen barely had any resemblance to the tale, and Gigantic looks completely different other than having a giant and a beanstalk in it. Of course, Disney always changed things up, but those changes proved to be so popular, no no one remembers the original tales. Tweedles Dee and Dum are now forever associated with the wrong Alice book because of Disney.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't get me started with Alice. The number of conflations and confusions from all the versions over the years... It's enough to make you as mad as a hatter.
The best version I've seen and this was when I had good sight and is the version that gets a 95 A grade from me is the live-action 2-part TV movie from 1985 studded with stars like Sid Caesar as The Griffin, Ringo Starr as The Mock Turtle, Sammy Davis Jr. as The Caterpillar with the inclusion of the full poem "You're Old, Father William" rather than just the off-screen portion heard in the animated version, and Jonathan Winters as Humpty Dumpty just to name a few names of names.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, Lauren Graham never ages, does she? She still looks just as amazing now as she did twenty years ago . . . matter of fact, she still looks exactly the same!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Don't get me started with Alice. The number of conflations and confusions from all the versions over the years... It's enough to make you as mad as a hatter.
The best version I've seen and this was when I had good sight and is the version that gets a 95 A grade from me is the live-action 2-part TV movie from 1985 studded with stars like Sid Caesar as The Griffin, Ringo Starr as The Mock Turtle, Sammy Davis Jr. as The Caterpillar with the inclusion of the full poem "You're Old, Father William" rather than just the off-screen portion heard in the animated version, and Jonathan Winters as Humpty Dumpty just to name a few names of names.
I'd love to check out Jan Švankmajer's adaptation from 1988 that combined live-action with stop-motion, including taxidermed animals! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_(1988_film)

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Even though he actually seems genuinely funny, it seems to me that Kevin Hart is quickly becoming this decade's black Steve Carell, in that he's suddenly thrown into almost every single new comedy movie that's coming out, much like Steve Carell was ten years ago. But again, Kevin Hart seems actually funny, whereas Steve Carell is one of the most lifeless, robotic, deadpan, emotionless actor ever.
I find Kevin Hart to be a bit annoying, as he's always around during the NBA All-Star weekend, and maybe his standup is good, but that and his movies are no good.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been watching this Nintendo retailer training video from 1991...

And at one point, we see a mother returning a NES because she thinks the controller won't work, only for it to turn out that her son put the controller into the wrong port. And this gets me thinking, if the controllers have to be in the right port, why didn't they do something to make it clear which was which? Like make them different colors or, what's been going through my mind more, have the ports/plugs shaped differently so that people don't accidentally plug into the wrong port.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Because that's what instructions are for. It's not the company's fault if people don't read instructions. Also can you really consider an ad as evidence people commonly put the controller in the wrong port?

ALso its not logical or feasible to produce controllers that go in a specific port on the console from a money standpoint, since you know people will buy the wrong controllers anyway.

Plus...wouldn't common sense dictate you put the controller into the first port? Or if it doesnt work in one port, try another one? Kind of like how the wii isn't clear which port is the first gamecube port (since the ports actually go the opposite way standard ports go). I didn't return the entire console when I plugged it into the wrong port, I tried the one on the opposite end 8T

minor muppetz

Reaction score
\

ALso its not logical or feasible to produce controllers that go in a specific port on the console from a money standpoint, since you know people will buy the wrong controllers anyway.

Plus...wouldn't common sense dictate you put the controller into the first port? Or if it doesnt work in one port, try another one? Kind of like how the wii isn't clear which port is the first gamecube port (since the ports actually go the opposite way standard ports go). I didn't return the entire console when I plugged it into the wrong port, I tried the one on the opposite end 8T
Did they sell video game controllers on their own back then? I've been wondering that, I don't remember knowing about video game controllers being sold on their own as well as with systems until the N64 era. I don't remember seeing controllers sold on their own in stores, I feel like that's something that would have stuck out to me.

That training video was staged, but as I think about that scene with the mother who couldn't get the control to work, it is odd that she didn't think to try putting the controller in the other port.