Will the Muppet Movie magic ever come back?

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man

Then apparently you have not seen "Change of Address", or selective other episodes which actually reference the "m"-word.
Oh man, a more powerful FR episode I can not think of. Ya hit it on the buzzer Byron.

Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
But no, really, FR is probably the most magical thing Henson ever did...
Um, can't argue there.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yeah Cory, i--it's just---well---magical.

*sigh*

When a television series makes you experience almost the entire canon of human emotion, it is indeed a masterpiece...

Walker Boh

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Will the Muppet Movie magic ever come back?

Originally posted by WiGgY
MFS did lack songs but I think it did fine without them. I would have at least liked to see the band perform or have Kermit sing something, anything really.
I only saw the movie once in theaters. I do plan on getting it on DVD (it is, after all, still a Muppet movie), and I know that I'll enjoy it more now that I'm not waiting for the big musical numbers the whole time. I agree that the movie was fine without them ... but the movies with good music are so much better than just fine to me. :smile:

Originally posted by WiGgY
AVMMC had enough songs if you ask me. 2 songs, one of which was a huge musical number and then the heart felt one with Kermit and Gonzo were great. I think there was more theater stuff that was cut but I don't know if a whole song was cut. I know that a segment with the band was cut and maybe they sang a song.
Gonzo's heart-felt song was cute, and it's definitely the closest we've come to a real Muppets song in the past couple of movies, but I missed the big fun musical numbers.

I didn't enjoy the Moulon Rogue segment at all. There was nothing really wrong with it ... it just didn't do anything for me. :boo: It just provoked the same sort of "ok, let's finish this up so we can move on with the good stuff" feeling that the Whoopie segments provoked. :rolleyes:

BTW, the lack of music wasn't the only problem I had with the Christmas special. (It was a big part of it, but not the only part.) If they release a "director's cut" DVD version of it with some more material added, I'd consider buying it. As it was on TV, it was good, but I don't need to own it for repeated viewings. It just didn't feel completed. To me, this is definitely a TV special, not a real movie.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by Bulldawg
they should create a movie centered around The Electric Mayhem.

. a la Almost Famous or This Is Spinal Tap or The Blues Brothers or RockStar.

a ROAD movie.
YES! If I were in charge of making a Muppet Movie, "This Is Spinal Tap" and the other Christopher Guest Moves ("Waiting For Guffman", "Best In Show") would be the perfect outline to follow.

Just get a thin script, some cameos, and let the Muppets go out and riff off each other. Spinal Tap was more a character study than a story and character is what Muppets are about. More than songs or heart or anything else. It's the characters we love and their interactions.

Bulldawg

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
Just get a thin script, some cameos, and let the Muppets go out and riff off each other.
that WOULD be the best.
just look at the camera tests that appear on TMM dvd.
just Kermit & Fozzie goofing around and the results are hilarious.

Fozzie "oh yeah...well you know what"
Kermit "what"
Fozzie "there is a stick attached to your arm"
Kermit "A WHAT!"
Fozzie "but its only for movement"
Kermit "oh"
Fozzie "i still believe in you"

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
I agree with Chilly Down in that a lot fo people tend to idolize the past stuff and villify the newer stuff. I see good and bad things in all of them. Personally, I find MCC more entertaining than GMC or MTM...one of which had some really slow bits and the other which basically rehashed the plot of TMM. They both have their strengths as well, dont' get me wrong, but they both have very slow parts that are avoided in MCC and even MFS. MTI I think was interesting as well, but had some really horrible parts, basically two muscial numbers that needed to be cut (the little boy singing at the beginning and the piggy/kermit hanging upside down number were just extra and BAD)...

I don't know...if I had to rank the movies I would say TMM is best, followed by MCC, then MTM, then GMC and MFS, and finally MTI. Something about MTI just doesn't work for me....

VMC and KSY I thought were both entertaining and good enough for me to watch more than once, but I won't count them on the same level as they weren't theatrical and it shows...

WiGgY

Reaction score
I have NO idea how to start responding to people. :big_grin: Quoting is out of the question so I'll just go for it lol.

I have to admit that I hadn't seen Fraggle Rock in awhile. So, I picked up a tape and watched it. Ok, it is magical. It's so heart felt and just plain great! It really should be on PBS or something. I can see a few spots it could fill. I did see Change of Address however it was a LONG time ago when it was still on Disney.

Yes, the original 3 movies were slow and I have to say that I have not watched them as much as I have the lastest 3. And if you watch AVMMC with the fast wordward button at the ready it's really good. I go past all the bad Heaven scenes and go straight for the muppet stuff. This just proves that the muppets are much better off on their own. Today's stars just aren't that talented. MFS had some bad actors, though MTI and MCC had a big name actor and in both movies he worked well. I'm not saying I don't like the first 3. I love them. I just don't find myself watching them as much anymore. This could be due to the fact that I have most of the scripts memorized. :smile:

I'd like to see an all improve show with the muppets. Maybe not an entire series, but when the new series comes out, they should try an improve show. I'd like to see how Eric does with it. We know Steve is great as are Bill and Dave. Frank is great to, but only with Jim really. That screen test with Fozzie and Kermit was great!

What else? Um...oh yeah! An Electric Mayhem thing would be nice, but first they need to be brought back into the public view. I don't know about a whole movie, but maybe a spoof of behind the music. Maybe call it, "Behind the Muppets". I would love to see that because you can get the improve stuff in an interview, mix in old clips of the EM, and have them play a new song. Maybe pretend the band broke up and have a reunion. :smile: That would make a pretty good special I think. Even have Scooter in it!

:wink: : "I was the bands road manager. We owned an old church that we were going to change into a coffee house. When my uncle decided to buy a theater, I joined with the muppets and brought the band with me. When I finally got back to my coffee house project Friends had stolen my idea!" ok maybe it would be funnier than that :embarrassed: , but you get the idea.