Why is Mokey being forgotten?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well I think Mokey is a great, myself. I totally love her.

But the other Fraggles are just more "fun" to kids and therefore more marketable.

That's the way I see it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Mokey, Mokey, Number Nine,
Bring Mokey to the production line,
Mokey, Mokey, with green hair,
We wanna see Mokey everywhere!

Hey, maybe it was Mokey's choice not to be materialistic in being plushies and stuff?

zeldazipple

Reaction score
Good point. Maybe she dosen't want to be out into the spotlight again. Probably wasn't a big fan of fame. lol

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Green hair Bo? Thought it was a silvery light blue.

Has anyone logged on to Karen Prell's website and asked her about this, and if she can contact Kathy Mullin to get her own thoughts on the subject?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Of course, The Gorgs haven't gotten much attention from Hit! or Sabbaba either. Sabbaba has released Doozer plushes and PVCs but not Gorg plushes and PVCs (and all of the Gorgs are specific characters, while most Doozers are generic and very few besides Cotterpin are popular). Jim Henson Video and Hit! have both released videos that focused on Doozer-themed episodes, but neither company ever released any Gorg videos (though there is still time for Hit! to). Heck, back in 1984, there was a Doozer Music video, but not a Gorg Music video.

I would have thought that kids would find Boober more boring than Mokey (though I've always liked Boober better).
Personally, I always thought Boober was funny as a kid. His personality is to be boring, but we the audience are supposed to find his quirks funny, not boring. And I admit to not liking Mokey very much at the time. I think I was too young to understand her character. Now I think she's very funny and deep in her own way.

I remember the first time I heard the song she sings with the ragdoll in "Mokey's Funeral." At the time, I thought she was so over dramatic and boring. But now I'm really able to listen to the words and it's one of my favorite Fraggle songs.

Maybe the Gorgs weren't released as plushes, etc. because they were technically the "bad guys." Of course that's not entirely true, but their role on the show most of the time was to make trouble for the Fraggles. And Pa and Ma Gorg are obviously parents and old, and not very sympathetic, and so don't feel like toy material to me. These are just my speculations of course. I wish they'd made a Junior plush though.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Byron. Still, undeniable she's the belle of the ball down at FR.

Hrodulf

Reaction score
My two cents

As long as all the episodes are included on the season collections, I personally don't have a problem with what's on the cover. While I can understand the disappointment that one's favorite character isn't on the cover, I barely even glanced at my dvd covers. I was more interested in what was on the discs.

I don't think there's a malicious conspiracy to ignore Mokey, it's probably just that other characters sell better because people relate to their personalities more, so there's involuntarily more of a focus on them. Gobo and Red are the agressive go-getters, Boober is sort of the emo "the world will end tomorrow" type, Wembley is confused all the time, and Mokey is the thoughtful, introspective type who thinks things out and cares about others. Intellectual, spiritual characters have never been particularly popular, and Mokey's arguably the smartest, most spiritual of the Fraggle Five.

I genuinely believe this world would have to be a very different place for Mokey to be hugely popular. . . .