1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who is Lionsgate associated with?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by D'Snowth, Apr 12, 2010.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Okay, this has GOT to be fake...

I uploaded a Season 30 episode of SST today, and it received matched third party content by "The Real Sesame Street by The Australian Broadcasting Company". What?! I'm thinking about disputing this claim, it seems like complete bull to me.
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Hmm, I don't know if this has anything to do with this but according to Muppet Wiki: "The ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) also periodically broadcasts Elmo's World, Global Grover and Play With Me Sesame, and has exclusive Australian broadcast rights for most Sesame Workshop productions, excluding the Australian version of Open Sesame."
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It is. They only AIR the show, they do not own it. That's just as bad as third party content matches from someone who released a video that one time.
  4. D'Snowth

I'd dispute it, but looking at what has to be done in regards to disputing it, it doesn't look like it would actually help very much, because there isn't an option for you to dispute that the claim was made by someone you don't believe to be the true copyright holder.
  5. D'Snowth

Crapamaggot, it happened again! ABC (Australia) claimed another upload of mine.

How can I dispute this? I know legally I don't have actual written permission from SW to upload the content, but they tend to be okay with people like us posting SST sketches, street scenes, inserts, full episodes, etc.
  6. Drtooth

I have to ask you.... do they block the videos, take them down, or delete them in any way, or do they let you keep them up?

Cuz if they let you keep them up, I'd just take that as a win.

Still, SW has been inexplicably kind to Sesame Street clip posting since the beginning. They can post the clips themselves in higher quality if necessary, but they haven't acted against it in the 6 or so years people posted anything. it's always been third or fourth party content (I.e. Noggin's ugly logo) that forced these things down.
  7. D'Snowth

Still, it's the gaul that Australian Broadcast Corporation is claiming they're "The Real Sesame Street" when they're not.
  8. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

Sorry to bump this up, but apparently, a Playhouse Disney uploader by the name of OtterFan25 got suspended by Lionsgate for uploading full episodes of Sesame Street, one of which possibly used one of the clips from the special, but I have no idea which one (I was waiting for her to upload some Toon Disney ads).
  9. Drtooth

I freaking hate Lionscrate. Once they release something on DVD that one time, they own it FOREVERS! It took them forever to relinquish the rights to the first 13 episodes of the original Dragon Ball series. Something they released back before 2003 when they were Trimark. It was a real headache for Funimation, that wanted to release it uncut.

And their Youtube conduct is inexcusable! I mean, it's one thing if they released something on DVD that one time... but they go after unrealeased episodes of things they're sitting on the rights to. Even clips... Oh Glob help you if you upload clips.

Real Jerks that think they own everything if it's on one DVD they had out in the past that's long out of print now.
  10. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. After all, Warner Music Group has blocked various Muppet videos with music tracks that the company released long before YouTube was invented. Ditto with many of the Disney Afternoon theme songs, apparently.
  11. D'Snowth

And the thing of it is, Warner and Disney are two completely different (and rival) corporations.
  12. Drtooth

It all has to do with either some obscure, long out of print CD, or some union thing.

And Warners Music only acts like a complete butt because they turned down Google's very generous offer for music sharing.
  13. minor muppetz

One thing that I've noticed, and I'm not going to say what program it is, but I've noticed that since Lionsgate's contract with Henson ran out, at least one Henson special that Lionsgate released is on YouTube... and yet the uploaded date is from around 2008. I know it was removed when Lionsgate got the rights, and I'm pretty sure the productions Lionsgate flagged were not blocked from some countries but not others (I could be wrong). As far as I know, if a video's removed and added later, the original upload date can't be put back in.

Then again, I think every video from the Sesame Street channel still has the original upload date, even though the channel was briefly taken down due to hackers. Not sure how all that works.
  14. Yeah, It was ToonTunes CD that had theme songs from Disney shows. And Warner does not even own Raw Toonage, Marsupilami, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Goof Troop, The Wuzzles, Gummi Bears, or other shows. They are owned by Disney. And no, The Australian Broadcasting Company is not "The Real Sesame Street." WMG also does not own "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" Here is a rant video that was posted back in 2009 about WMG claiming Carmen Sandiego:
  15. Drtooth

The kicker is that only 4 of those songs were even released on that CD.​

Unless it's some sort of union or music publishing thing, those were definitely false copyright claims. Still... long out of print CD... real bullcrap. And all because WMG didn't take the generous offer Google gave them.​
  16. CDCB

CDCB New Member

Hey-- I actually am OtterFan25 and I just wanted to clear up that I was not suspended by Lionsgate. I was actually suspended by Sesame Workshop for the same reason--uploading full Sesame Street episodes. Just wanted to clear up that misconception.
  17. Sorry to hear about that. And Geoffrey Weagraff got a copyright strike for posting Sesame Street episodes as well. And I decided to remove Sesame Street videos down from Youtube and move them to other video sharing sites. Because I do not want to get suspended from Youtube. :mad::eek::boo:
  18. D'Snowth

Looks like TheRoadRunnerCoyote just got his *** handed to him.
  19. minor muppetz

Currently Lionsgate is no longer associated with The Jim Henson Company. Another company is releasing its programming on video now.

It seems most Henson video distribution deals only last five years (though the deal with Sony lasted a little longer). I wonder why these video companies don't renegotiate when the deals end.
  20. Drtooth

Doesn't matter. They're Lionsgate.