Which performer should get a documentary next?

Borples

Reaction score
Ha! If it meant that I could go interview everyone involved extensively, and spend hours and hours poring over behind the scenes footage, I would go learn how to make movies right NOW. :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I would pay ever so much money for that. :smile: Actually, I was thinking that what we need is a documentary about the history of the Muppets after Jim Henson's passing. There's been a lot written and filmed about Jim's life and the Muppets under him (er...over him?). But the way they carried on after he died so unexpectedly is a GREAT story. It would focus heavily on Dave and Steve, for the reasons DannyRWW said. Special attention given to the story of Steve taking over Kermit, because the man needs more credit for that. It could foucs on the late nineties for a while, with Bill Baretta arriving, and Brian Henson and Kevin Clash as main Muppeteers (I LOVE that period of Muppet history. Anyone else?).
I'll be honest, I don't love the Muppets from the '90s. But, I like the idea of focusing on the transition the performers went through. :smile:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Now that I think back on it, I think a Steve Whitmire one would be great. Aside from how he, like Kevin Clash started puppeteering as a child, but the guy's worked for Sid and Marty Krofft, he has done amazing volunteer work at Tippi Hedren's wildlife preserve Shambala, the list goes on and on.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I actually started writing a screenplay about Whitmire. It's just a pet project, I don't think I'll do anything with it because of the copyright stuff involved. But think about it: following young Steve Whitmire to New York, auditioning in front of Henson, and then becoming part of the team. He was mentored by Henson, and then he took over for Henson. It'd be a great documentary/story. And it's all true.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
By the way does anyone know when Being Elmo is up for sale? I also read somewhere that it'll be showing in my city on Feb. 23rd. It was here for one day and it's interesting that I saw it's coming back..? It's werid becuase last time it said it'll be shown on December 23rd and it came early, doesn't make any sense.
(I really want to see that movie,)

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I actually started writing a screenplay about Whitmire. It's just a pet project, I don't think I'll do anything with it because of the copyright stuff involved. But think about it: following young Steve Whitmire to New York, auditioning in front of Henson, and then becoming part of the team. He was mentored by Henson, and then he took over for Henson. It'd be a great documentary/story. And it's all true.
I like where your going with this. Kind of a look at the whole Muppets/Jim Henson world through Steve Whitmire's eyes

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
When I first saw the title of this thread, my instant thought was actually Steve Whitmire. Though he's not as widely known as Frank Oz per se, his story of taking over Kermit is something that would certainly have mass appeal and I'd love to hear more of Whitmire and other performers talking about this important time behind the scenes. It's such an amazing story and I think he's done such a wonderful job keeping Kermit alive over the years. I'm kind of surprised Steve still isn't at least a bit more well known to the public since taking over Kermit. I don't know if there was any big publicity at the time about who would take over after Jim's Death.

For me personally, I would also love to see a documentary on Richard Hunt. I guess you could say the closest we'll get to that is the upcoming biography on him by Max Stein.