Which performer should get a documentary next?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I heard about the book project for Richard Hunt, definitely sounds interesting! I personally don't mind when screen documentaries address darker issues, as long as it's balanced. Neither a white wash, nor tabloid, somewhere in between, since that's where we all are as people. :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When you put something on screen in documentary form, it should have a filmatic feel - meaning some level of entertainment/feel-good value.
When I started this thread I was thinking in terms of a typical TV documentary, not a biopic. More along the lines of the people he knew best talking about him, narraration of how he came to the company, behind-the-scenes footage of him performing (and clips of him from Of Muppets and Men and Down at Fraggle Rock), and focus on all of his main characters. I'm sure Jerry Nelson would have a lot to say, as well as David Rudman. And many of his characters tend to get overlooked, yet quite a few seem like cult favorites. And I'd like to see the performers talk about Gladys (the one from The Muppet Show), Aristotle (it'd be a way to finally see footage of that character in action), and Leo. I do wonder how such a documentary would handle details on his death.

A Steve Whitmire documentary would be great. I would especially be disapointed if there were no sections on Lips. Seems Whitmire rarely talks about that character in interviews, even fan interviews (he did talk about the character in the 1999 Muppet Central interview, but did not speak of him in the Tough Pigs or MuppetCast interviews). Hopefully they'd at least represent Lips (and Foo-Foo) when talking about his early characters. I'd also like to see him talk about Waldo (unlike Lips, I've never seen Whitmire talk about that character anywhere, even when discussing The Jim Henson Hour).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
More along the lines of the people he knew best talking about him, narraration of how he came to the company....And I'd like to see the performers talk about Gladys (the one from The Muppet Show), Aristotle (it'd be a way to finally see footage of that character in action), and Leo.
Exactly, I think such a documentary would be fascinating.

I do wonder how such a documentary would handle details on his death.
Like I say, neither as a white wash nor as a tabloid, just balanced. :smile:

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
All of your suggestions are excellent. I'd personally love to see either Eric Jacobson, David Rudman, or Matt Vogel featured just for the fact that I don't know much about them outside of Muppets. I know that Matt has a band and David has produced some kid's show and that Eric has performed on some other puppet shows, but other than that, I'm not sure about how they got interested in puppetry.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I think it would be neat to see a Dave Goelz/steve Whitmire documentary about the two of them.... It could be geared towards the fact that those two kind of carried the flame after Jim Henson died and really have developed a chemistry together as performers. In fact if there was one beef I had with the new movie is that Dave didn't seem to be in it much. And you can say what you want about qa very merry Muppet Christmas, but the song with Gonzo and Kermit is one of my favorite Muppet moments ever.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I think it would be neat to see a Dave Goelz/steve Whitmire documentary about the two of them.... It could be geared towards the fact that those two kind of carried the flame after Jim Henson died and really have developed a chemistry together as performers.
That would be the best.

Borples

Reaction score
I think it would be neat to see a Dave Goelz/steve Whitmire documentary about the two of them.... It could be geared towards the fact that those two kind of carried the flame after Jim Henson died and really have developed a chemistry together as performers. In fact if there was one beef I had with the new movie is that Dave didn't seem to be in it much. And you can say what you want about qa very merry Muppet Christmas, but the song with Gonzo and Kermit is one of my favorite Muppet moments ever.
I would pay ever so much money for that. :smile: Actually, I was thinking that what we need is a documentary about the history of the Muppets after Jim Henson's passing. There's been a lot written and filmed about Jim's life and the Muppets under him (er...over him?). But the way they carried on after he died so unexpectedly is a GREAT story. It would focus heavily on Dave and Steve, for the reasons DannyRWW said. Special attention given to the story of Steve taking over Kermit, because the man needs more credit for that. It could foucs on the late nineties for a while, with Bill Baretta arriving, and Brian Henson and Kevin Clash as main Muppeteers (I LOVE that period of Muppet history. Anyone else?). Then they could talk about Frank's role in keeping things going, and his eventual decision to leave. Jerry's illness and departure. And that would lead them in to talking about Eric Jacobson, and the shaky 2000s, and how things came together so brilliantly around 2008-9. The wonderful viral vids and Muppets.com bits (we need some making-of info on those. Wonder if anyone has footage?). And it would all culminate in the making, release, and success of the latest movie.

Darn, now I REALLY want this to happen. All the talk surrounding the movie about how the Muppets have been "gone" for years has really been raising my hackles. Part of that can be blamed on the (wonderful, I loved it, don't get me wrong) movie itself, with its comeback plot. But, as Kermit says, it's only a movie. Mostly, I think people just weren't paying much attention while the Muppets were doing wonderful things for 20 years. Somebody needs to bring all their hard work to the world's attention. Anyone know any good filmmakers who need ideas? :wink:

DannyRWW

Reaction score
You've got a nice pitch....ever think about making a documentary :smile: