When you need to rant...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
DAH! OH, GEEEEEYAHHH! OH! OOH, ICK! OHHHH! AAUUGH!!

Somebody get me a brain scrubber, screencaps of Jeanette of The Chipettes naked, and memory loss pills (not necessarily in that order) so I can clear my mind!

GAH!!! GEEZUM!!!

Look, I know that TV Land, of all networks, has had its share of crappy (and that's putting it in a mild, PG manner) reality shows as well, but... GAH! WHY THE FROG DO WE NEED A REALITY SHOW ABOUT REALLY OLD LADIES DRESSING UP LIKE 20-YEAR-OLD HOOKERS?! GEEZ I FEEL SO DIRTY! TV Land has alienated me loooong ago with the likes of HOT IN CLEVELAND, RETIRED AT 35, THE EXES, HAPPILY DIVORCED, THE SOUL MAN, and I forget what else, BUT GAH! GEE! UGH! WHERE'S THAT BRAIN SCRUBBER?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those shows exploiting overweight people really really irritate me. I don't get if they are supposed to be inspirational or not. I mean, most of them are about people losing weight, but at the same time it also sends the message that its ok to make fun of fat people. I was talking to an acquaintance and he suddenly brought up The Biggest Loser and was saying how those people deserve to gain back what they lost for not continuing to exercise and went off on this rant about people exercising. I nearly punched him for that...but I digress.
Strangely enough, yes. Yes the contestants gain weight back. You know why? They don't have 24/7 personal trainers barking at them, they don't have 24/7 access to exercise equipment, and I dunno about anyone else, but if you're stuck on a strict diet for the longest time, you're going to want to eat all the stuff you couldn't. Losing weight one time is not a guarantee that you'll lose it forever unless you stay in the same exact strict routine. Unfortunately, most of those people have lives. Heck, even diet and exercise isn't even a guarantee you'll lose weight. Sometimes it barely helps you maintain.

But the thing that drives me absolutely nuts is the fact that they always have to show the one rare example of the world's fattest something or other and toss the word "obese" around, when it's much lower a weight level than we think. It takes an extreme effort to get that huge. You have to basically eat disgustingly large amounts of food and never ever ever move. And half the time, that just means you have to go to the bathroom a lot. And they name these things "Half Ton" this and "Tons of" That. A half Ton is 1000 pounds. Not 800, not 750... 1000. And the sad thing is, and I hate knowing this, but the world's fattest people are actually getting smaller. We used to have over 1100 pound people, now someone's at 700 and that's a record. There's something fishy. But why must we keep trotting these people out basically sending the message that everyone who isn't rail thin or a muscular lunkhead is over 1000 pounds?

Why does anyone in this earth give a $#@% about ***** or Gangam Style? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO SOCIETY? WHY MUST THIS CRAP BE VIRAL? :grr:
You know what there never was in history? Idiotic novelty songs. They just came out the last 5 years. Anything that seemed to be written before (like Purple People Eater) was sent back in time. Really, the Gangham meme has been killed by the major outside media, sure I agree. But here's the thing... the song was clearly a joke to begin with, as is most Japanese/Korean pop. That stuff either takes itself narmfully serious or treats itself as a complete joke. That was the latter. It was never meant to leave the country of South Korea, but it did in the same manner the Rick Roll, and then Ellen discovered it and it became an ascended meme.

That said, the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously means its far better than half the pop music gunk we have in this country... I'm looking at you Nicky Manaj. Heck, Everybody Dance Now, a song with the WORST lyrics in history (even MacArthur Park doesn't sound as brain dead) is well over 20 years old at this point.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Strangely enough, yes. Yes the contestants gain weight back. You know why? They don't have 24/7 personal trainers barking at them, they don't have 24/7 access to exercise equipment, and I dunno about anyone else, but if you're stuck on a strict diet for the longest time, you're going to want to eat all the stuff you couldn't. Losing weight one time is not a guarantee that you'll lose it forever unless you stay in the same exact strict routine. Unfortunately, most of those people have lives. Heck, even diet and exercise isn't even a guarantee you'll lose weight. Sometimes it barely helps you maintain.
Yeah, I know that. That was the argument he was TRYING to make, albeit much more offensively. Those people are pushed really harder than they should be though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No one cares about their health. The viewers are all very lucky college frat boys with Shaggy metabolism (they can eat anything and somehow never gain anything, even if they do nothing), all eating huge amounts of Taco Bell and laughing at the fat people being yelled at while wallowing around in the mud, crying.

It's not about inspiration, it's about Bread and Circus.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is something that not only irritates me, but infects me as well.

You know what they tell everyone so annoying little viruses don't spread? Wash your hands. Guess what people don't do? Wash their hands.

I'm sick of getting sick (through prolonged exposure) because someone caught something because someone felt they were to important to waste the whole of 30 seconds to wash their crap encrusted hands.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
That doesnt always work. Some viruses are airborn and no matter how clean you are you still either spread it or catch it. After my parents got a nasty stomach virus they bleached the house down and despite me washing my hands everytime i so much as looked at something, i still got sick. Granted,iit was really mild compared to what my parents had, but my grandmother who never leaves her room or really bothers with us even got it.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I wash my hands every time I use the bathroom, but there's been plenty of times when I'm in a public restroom and I see someone leave without washing their hands. Beyond the whole virus prevention thing, I believe it's just common courtesy. Speaking of common common courtesy, I get very annoyed when people scold me for clearing my throat; I have asthma and allergies, and cannot help it. It's not like I do it all the time, which would be different. My allergies were sort of a point of bullying when I was a child; people would scold me or make fun of me when I sneezed, coughed or cleared my throat, so nowadays I get very defensive about it. I always cover when I cough or sneeze, which is all I can do.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You can't help it with allergies, colds, etc., as long as you don't spit on the floor.
Some kid came into my store once and spat on the brand-new rug, (chewing tobacco, no less!)and I was so tempted to find the highest tree to hang him from.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That doesnt always work. Some viruses are airborn and no matter how clean you are you still either spread it or catch it. After my parents got a nasty stomach virus they bleached the house down and despite me washing my hands everytime i so much as looked at something, i still got sick. Granted,iit was really mild compared to what my parents had, but my grandmother who never leaves her room or really bothers with us even got it.
That's through prolonged exposure and close quarters. Chances are, if you live in a confined space with many people, viruses will find a way no matter what. I never get sick from someone on the train or just some passing person. I get it from hours of being with someone who just realizes they have something. A day later, I'm worse than them. One time I went to some club and someone had a cough. I was there all day with the guy, I got the cough the second I got home and it was with me for weeks.