When you need to rant...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On the subject of fandom problems, here's another little mild rant I have about fandoms, this one involves RANGO.

What's irritating me is how a number of RANGO fans out there insist that Rattlesnake Jake "decidedly" rapes Beans. He constricts her (he's a snake after all), licks her face, even tries crushing her to death. Rape? No. Molestation? Sure. But definitely not rape.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You just have sickos who think rape is cool and then you have those sickos who try to find every little "inappropriate" thing in a children's movie to laugh at.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, it depends... are these the kind of internet "fans" that get off on it, or are they just interpreting things darker than they should be? And if it's the latter, is it because they want to make it darker, or just are so overly sensitive that they can't help but interpret it in the most offensive way possible?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The website Seinfeld Scripts.

There's no consistency with that site: sometimes the scripts look pretty well reconstructed and are easy to read, other times, the scripts look like they were written like script format fanfics, and sometimes they're so incredibly lazy they just use initials to tell us who's who (ala J=Jerry, G=George, K=Kramer, E=Elaine...)

Misskermie

Reaction score
You know what burned me up yesterday? My best friend got her hair straigtened and cut. I thought it was really pretty, but jeez, people would not stop reacting to it. But what really ticked me off is that we have almost every class together, and people would always say hi to her, complement her hair... And I'd be... Completely invisible... Like, it's not that I'm jealous of her, but... If you got two people, don't ignore the person with her hair NOT done...

Scooterforever

Reaction score
You know what really grinds my gears? X-rated comedians in kid's movies. I'm not just talking about comics who use vulgar language; I'm talking about comics who make their entire career out of saying the most offensive and insensitive things imaginable. I think it started with Gilbert Gottfried voicing the parrot in Aladdin; I mean c'mon, all he does to stay relevant anymore is make insensitive jokes about 9/11 and other touchy topics. And David Cross, who made a joke about Anne Frank I dare not repeat, has done quite a few kids film, including the Chipmunk trilogy and Kung-Fu Panda. And I really, really liked Wreck-it Ralph, but I hated the fact that they cast Sarah Silverman in one of the leading roles. There's no logical reason why studios can't get reputable voice actors or respectable actors and actresses to play these roles; they just have to find the most offensive and insensitive comedians on the planet and put them in kids films? Now listen, Tim Allen, voice of Buzz Lightyear, is a former stand-up, as is Don Rickles, aka Mr. Potato Head, and both have done vulgar and offensive jokes, but at least they draw the line somewhere, so I'm cool with them in kids films. But George Carlin? Don't even get me started, he's the king of disgusting comedians, and he's done so many kid's projects it makes me sick. Plenty of comedians do work in kid's films, which is fine, it just bothers me when studios put comedians who make careers out of doing offensive jokes on touchy topics in popular kid's films. Contrary to popular belief, there's plenty of popular and good comedians who stay away from making jokes about 9/11, the Holocaust, and other touchy topics.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I will have to disagree. By that logic, no one should branch out and do anything different. By that logic, Disney stars can't break free from their kiddie perception and do something a little raunchy (oh, wait, they already can't :rolleyes:)

I don't think kids would really care enough to look up these people, let alone find other things they've done. It's up to the parent to monitor what their kids watch. Parents get so upset with these things but yet they don't want to do their job. They want the media to babysit their kids for them.

Why does it even matter, if they aren't doing their usual stuff in a movie, then who cares? What you are saying is that no one should have different audiences

Bowling for Soup does a number of songs for children's media, but if you actually saw them in concert, they are pretty NC-17. I don't know of any children who had their precious noggins corrupted by the evil that is Bowling for Soup :/

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I don't think kids would really care enough to look up these people, let alone find other things they've done. It's up to the parent to monitor what their kids watch. Parents get so upset with these things but yet they don't want to do their job. They want the media to babysit their kids for them.
:/
Ah, so you're one of those "it's all the parents' fault" people? Great:rolleyes:.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
A parent should do their job and monitor what the kid watches, not plant them in front of a tv and expect other people to do the work for you.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry... but this...

You know what really grinds my gears? X-rated comedians in kid's movies. I'm not just talking about comics who use vulgar language; I'm talking about comics who make their entire career out of saying the most offensive and insensitive things imaginable. I think it started with Gilbert Gottfried voicing the parrot in Aladdin; I mean c'mon, all he does to stay relevant anymore is make insensitive jokes about 9/11 and other touchy topics. And David Cross, who made a joke about Anne Frank I dare not repeat, has done quite a few kids film, including the Chipmunk trilogy and Kung-Fu Panda. And I really, really liked Wreck-it Ralph, but I hated the fact that they cast Sarah Silverman in one of the leading roles. There's no logical reason why studios can't get reputable voice actors or respectable actors and actresses to play these roles; they just have to find the most offensive and insensitive comedians on the planet and put them in kids films? Now listen, Tim Allen, voice of Buzz Lightyear, is a former stand-up, as is Don Rickles, aka Mr. Potato Head, and both have done vulgar and offensive jokes, but at least they draw the line somewhere, so I'm cool with them in kids films. But George Carlin? Don't even get me started, he's the king of disgusting comedians, and he's done so many kid's projects it makes me sick. Plenty of comedians do work in kid's films, which is fine, it just bothers me when studios put comedians who make careers out of doing offensive jokes on touchy topics in popular kid's films. Contrary to popular belief, there's plenty of popular and good comedians who stay away from making jokes about 9/11, the Holocaust, and other touchy topics.
... is the most prudish thing I've ever heard. You want clean jokes, read a kid's joke book. What you forgot to add was Tim Allen, voice of Buzz Lightyear used to be a cocaine addict. And he snitched out on his other coke buddies. That's a little worse than making 9/11 jokes. As in "the terrible thing we must always remember as terrible and a sacred cow because that's what the terrorists want." You know who else told "insensitive jokes" about a horrible guy who did horrible things? Comedic legend Mel Brooks. Look how much of his humor derives from making Hitler look like a big loser with issues... you know, like he was historically.

Secondly... have you ever heard the term "so my kids can watch?" Why must we blacklist comedians for making jokes to their adult fan base from ever finding a secondary audience (and oft times, a new career) from being the celebrity voice actors in a kid's movie, even though they're cast specifically for adults to want to be dragged to a kiddy film? Heck, professional kid's entertainers aren't exactly the prudish type either. What's with this whole 1950's era style contractual purity crap?

I'm going to see your rant and raise you this...

People who are easily offended wanting to censor media and blacklist celebrities they don't like because they don't agree with it. That kind of nanny state oppressive crap gave us Care Bears. I hate the freaking Care Bears.