When did David and Maria break up?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Does anyone know when David and Maria broke up? Was there an episode about it with Maria or David telling Big Bird and the other muppets that they were going to just be "friends" now? I know her and Luis got together in 1987 and married in 1988, but when I first started watching the show in 1984, David and Maria weren't together. I don't ever remember seeing them romantically together as a couple. Mabye somebody here knows.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That's a good question. I don't know if anything was said on the show that Maria and David were a couple, though it has been referenced many times, especially when David kissed her on Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. I do recall reading on another thread where it happened when Maria and Luis fell in Love. David told Big Bird and Snuffy that he and Maria would always be friends. I do remember seeing Maria and Luis together on the show quite often before this happened.

Now, that I think about it. I remember the episode pretty well where this was first established. Big Bird and Snuffy were doing some exploring and they saw Maria and Luis holding hands when they crossed the street. They were surprised about this since a grown up wouldn't need to hold another grown ups hand while crossing the street, so they talked to them about that. I think Big Bird talked to Maria while Snuffy talked to Luis. They both mentioned that they loved each other.

I don't think anything like this was ever done with Maria and David, so they didn't understand love until they saw it with Maria and Luis. It's a bit curious that they wouldn't have known before, considering that Susan and Gordon have been married from the beginning.

So in answer to your question, I don't think there really was an ep where they broke up, unless it happened sometime in the 70s before I was born.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I guess David and Maria together was just one of those things that phased out over the years, like Telly bothering Oscar.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Does anyone know when David and Maria broke up? Was there an episode about it with Maria or David telling Big Bird and the other muppets that they were going to just be "friends" now? I know her and Luis got together in 1987 and married in 1988, but when I first started watching the show in 1984, David and Maria weren't together. I don't ever remember seeing them romantically together as a couple. Mabye somebody here knows.
I think that was changed simoly when Maria and Luis were engaged and that was that. also I mentioned this once before Sonia Manzano and Nothern Calloway both grew up in NY and attended the Brooklyn School of the Performing Arts and being close in age, obviously the relationship began long before there time on SS did.

Censored

Reaction score
Sesame Street Unpaved book addresses this question, but really gives no explanations.

On the episode where Luis and Maria announced that they were in love, David seemed as happy for them as anyone.

Since the romance of David and Maria was always subtle, I guess they didn't feel that they had to give any official reason for the "breakup".

Still, in one episode, Big Bird said, "Don't worry David. Snuffy and I will still be your friends. Luis and Maria are in love, so it's 'bye bye, David.'"

David said, "Not really, Big Bird, no matter what happens, Maria and I will always be friends."

Heavy stuff for Sesame Street. LOL

Fraggleforever

Reaction score
I may have the answer to the question. 4 years ago I was watching the Sesame Street Biography on A&E, and they were saying something about a show being canceled. The show was about divorce. So, I believe that is the answer to why David and Maria broke up.

superfan

Reaction score
In Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Maria and David are all snuggly on the subway (True Blue Miracle song)...David looks lovingly at Maria while she sings her part. Aaaaw! :flirt:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Fraggleforever said:
I may have the answer to the question. 4 years ago I was watching the Sesame Street Biography on A&E, and they were saying something about a show being canceled. The show was about divorce. So, I believe that is the answer to why David and Maria broke up.
what show being canceled. please be more specific.

BEAR

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
what show being canceled. please be more specific.

They are referring to an episode about divorce that was filmed and showed to their test audience of kids. The kids couldn't really handle it and the writers didn't really know of any way to discuss it in an honest way. They never aired the episode. i for one do not know who was supposed to be getting divorced on the show because they never specified in the interview. I don't know what David and Maria have to do with it. They were never even married to begin with. How could they get divored. I dunno.. Hope that helps.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Fraggleforever said:
I saw that also