When BIG BIRD and OSCAR appear together...

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I have a question about the oldest trick in the book: How Big Bird and Oscar appear together at the same time.

What intrigues me is which character does Carroll Spinney opt for when this situation presents itself?

And futhermore, the voice of both characters, when they appear onscreen together, is unmistakeably both Carroll's (not Matt Vogel's). And the lip sync is pretty much dead-on for both Muppet, so how the **** does Carroll throw his voice and have the other Muppeteer get the timing down so pat that the illusion appears seamless on TV???

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I do think of that whenever I watch "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." I think as with most Muppets, who have the same performer that appear at the same time, Carroll does have somebody assist him and the voice is dubbed in later.

I can imagine that in CESS, Richard Hunt doubled for Spinney, since he receives credit, but none of his Muppets are in it. I'm not sure about that though.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
That's a fine point, but Big Bird and Oscar have appeared together even as recently as this past season, so question is:

which Henson performer has the honor of assisting Carroll nowadays? (Richard Hunt, rest in peace.)

(On a side note, BOTH Muppets must take their toll on poor Carroll....Not only does Carroll have to lug Big Bird's pounds over his head, but he has to hide in the claustrophobic space behind Oscar's can.

Poor guy.)

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I don't think Carroll Spinney performs Oscar these days. He does the voice, but he isn't the one crawling up inside the trash can.

When Big Bird and Oscar have appeared together it is a fair bet that Carroll is in Big Bird. It's the more difficult performance and and I don't believe Matt Vogel was around in the CESS days.

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
These days if Big Bird and Oscar appear together, either Jim Martin or Matt Vogel perform Oscar. Usually Matt. Caroll dubs the voice later.

secret squirrel

fuzzyandblue

Reaction score
I read an article with Caroll that said he loved the neurosis that performing both of them together caused him. LOL I love that!

I dare say he always performs the bird since the costume is fit for him (and after 30 odd years of one guy getting sweaty in there, who else'd wanna?).

This isn't the only same performer muppet-duality thingy-mabob. How about when Kermit and Rowlf are on stage together, or Fozzy and Piggy, or Janice and Scooter (okay --don't know if that's happened, but wouldn't surprise me)...and so on......

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Originally posted by fuzzyandblue
I dare say he always performs the bird since the costume is fit for him (and after 30 odd years of one guy getting sweaty in there, who else'd wanna?).
Matt Vogel performs Big Bird in the Journey to Ernie segments and other times as well. I think it's impressive Carroll hasn't retired out right. Puppetry is hard work and Carroll has certainly earned the right to take it easy.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

This isn't the only same performer muppet-duality thingy-mabob. How about when Kermit and Rowlf are on stage together, or Fozzy and Piggy, or Janice and Scooter (okay --don't know if that's happened, but wouldn't surprise me)...and so on......
Well let's make a list:
TMS: Piggy and Fozzie can be seen together quite a few times in the first season, since it was sometimes Richard performing Piggy.
However, in Fozzie's opening joke in the Kaye Ballard episode, Piggy karate chops Fozzie. I believe by this point, Frank was performing Piggy full time. Let's see what else do we have.

Edgar Bergen episode: I've noticed Janice standing next to Scooter when they were sinking.
Elton John episode: Quite a few of them here, Kermit talking to the Swedish Chef, Animal plays the drums in the background while Elton is singing with Miss Piggy. (It was probably an additional puppateer performing Animal since he didn't say anything.)
Harry Belafonte episode: The famous scene in which Kermit and the Swedish Chef switch bodies.
Roger Moore: Kermit is attacked by the Chef.
Diana Ross episode: Piggy stands next to Fozzie while they're singing.
Kenny Rogers episode: Kermit is the Vet's Hospital patient with Henson also playing Dr. Bob.

I'm sure there were many more of these.

TMM: Kermit and Rowlf's famous duet.
TMTM: Several scenes with Piggy next to Fozzie and Scooter next to Janice. Also, in the "Somebody's Getting Married" song, Crazy Harry's line lead's into Pops' line.

MTI & MFS: Several scenes with Steve performing both Kermit and Rizzo.

SS
There are quite a few of these. For instance Carrol Spinney, playing Bruno carrying Oscar.
There are songs with Frank performing both Grover and Cookie Monster. I mean in the 70s and 80s before Eric Jacobson and David Rudman were in the picture.

Again, I'm sure there were many more of these. It's just hard to think up all of them. Feel free to add to this list.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
The songs with one of the puppeteers singing multiple voices were actually pre-recorded, and puppeteers just lip-synched to them (thus, as far as the actual puppeteering goes, only one of the characters was performed by their normal performer)...

fuzzyandblue

Reaction score
>I think it's impressive Carroll hasn't retired out right. Puppetry is hard work and Carroll has certainly earned the right to take it easy.

You said it. :0)