What's in store for the Muppets in 2012 article

beaker

Reaction score
Good reviews don't equal box office success. Even then, all New Years Eve is just a lame chick flick. It's not exactly the time of year for dates just yet. It's going to sink like a stone the next 2 weeks. Really, it's like an entire summer's worth of movie blockbusters are coming out in 2 weeks alone.

I thought people DID choose The Muppets over CGI garbage... Twilight was only for teenagers that... well, it rhymes with corny. Let's leave it at that... and the boyfriends they drag them to.
Oh dear...Tintin, Mission Impossible 4 and Dragon Tattoo are out soon(three films I really want to see), and then Chipmunks three...so yeah, Muppets is going to be done with before the month mark is even here.

But so many circumstances behind that...even massive buzz cant help public perception plus an overwhelmingly bad ticket sales time.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I think the muppets did well enough... and I think there is more awareness of muppets as I see children at school talking about them. I think the DVD will sell quite well. I don't think there done yet :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh dear...Tintin, Mission Impossible 4 and Dragon Tattoo are out soon(three films I really want to see), and then Chipmunks three...so yeah, Muppets is going to be done with before the month mark is even here.

But so many circumstances behind that...even massive buzz cant help public perception plus an overwhelmingly bad ticket sales time.
This is an extremely complicated situation that makes no sense whatsoever. A summer's worth of movies in 2 weeks. But most of them, we all can agree, aren't exactly family films. TinTin and Chipmunks are... and I'm sure they're going to just cream a month old movie, but I'm not entirely sure it will completely disappear. At least I can see it in huge movie theaters or smaller independently run theaters, where it can make a small amount of money just to punch the BO up to maybe 75 or 80 mil... but it's done the best it can do, and everything depends on Europe... but it made the budget back, and the DVD's will sell it home. Can't be helped that we're in a completely fixed and forced recession and people would rather buy gifts at this point...

on the plus side, Happy Feet and Arthur Christmas are considered complete flops. I'm sure Hugo will find an audience on DVD, but that's not going to make back its big budget.

beaker

Reaction score
This is an extremely complicated situation that makes no sense whatsoever. A summer's worth of movies in 2 weeks. But most of them, we all can agree, aren't exactly family films. TinTin and Chipmunks are... and I'm sure they're going to just cream a month old movie, but I'm not entirely sure it will completely disappear. At least I can see it in huge movie theaters or smaller independently run theaters, where it can make a small amount of money just to punch the BO up to maybe 75 or 80 mil... but it's done the best it can do, and everything depends on Europe... but it made the budget back, and the DVD's will sell it home. Can't be helped that we're in a completely fixed and forced recession and people would rather buy gifts at this point...

on the plus side, Happy Feet and Arthur Christmas are considered complete flops. I'm sure Hugo will find an audience on DVD, but that's not going to make back its big budget.
Yeah was just bad timing. But you feel it would have done better now and in July or August? As the film had been done for some time...and didnt at all feel like a Holiday film. But yeah, it beat all the children and family films for two weeks, so that's good. Not sure why its opening so darn late in Europe though.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Yeah was just bad timing. But you feel it would have done better now and in July or August? As the film had been done for some time...and didnt at all feel like a Holiday film. But yeah, it beat all the children and family films for two weeks, so that's good. Not sure why its opening so darn late in Europe though.
I said this before: the film would be eaten alive in summer. The only good weekend would have been when the Smurfs was released, that end of July period. And The Smurfs was released... so that wouldn't have worked.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pffft! August is instant death for ANY movie. Like I always say, does anyone remember the G.I. Joe movie? How about someone who doesn't frequent Marshall's and see the toys on permanent clearance? I don't think it would have fared well in summer at all. Maybe last week of July as a gamble... that's one that paid off for the Smurfs, but it could have gone either way.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Usually the last week of July is the last chance for a summer family film. The Simpsons Movie broke the bank with that weekend, which is probably the best example.

fozziecub10

Reaction score
Ratings will pic up once its been at the UK cinemas. Seriously, that was bad promotion waiting nearly 4 months for a UK release.

I hope for more Muppet moves, I have writen a first draft of one even though I not seen The Muppets yet lol

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Great news! There's a chance that a certain obnoxious farting, wise-cracking rodent won't steal that much thunder from the Muppets after all!

This weekend's box office estimates have Alvin have it opening around $25 million, a tad below The Muppets' 3-day Thanksgiving weekend. Granted, The Muppets will still drop hard this weekend, but even with legs on Christmas week, Alvin might have a chance of trailing behind The Muppets! Nice to see the little ankle-biters have some taste after all!

My source:
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the thing...

While at least 5 big movies came out around the time of the Muppets, Alvin has so much insane competition coming out in the next 2 weeks, it's not funny. Sherlock Holmes, TinTin, War Horse... a bunch of others I can't remember...It's a suicide mission for movie studios... like I said, a whole summer's worth of blockbusters in a less than a month period. And we've got a couple slow weeks before Christmas.

Alvin will make money Christmas vacation. That's the goal, that's the expectation. Little kids off school, running around the house... they already broke half the toys they got, and got bored with the other half... that's why the last 2 were surprise hits. Of course, the Christmas Song tie in kinda helped with the first one.