What would be good for glasses?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a pair of glasses for a puppet. Regular glasses won't work, as I have a specific shape in mind: rounded cat-eye glasses, eyes in the lenses, with the earpieces tilted way down so she doesn't stare at the ceiling. The lenses are no problem; plastic spoons work just dandy. It's the frames that have me stumped.

I made a pair out of craft foam, and though I got the shape right they are flimsy and useless. The frame barely supports the weight of the lenses when her head is still. I want to make a sturdy pair that will stay on, that won't wobble or deform if they're touched. So...suggestions/advice, anyone?

Animal31

Reaction score
You could still use the foam ones, just glue an actual frame behind it. I had seen them at Target made the same way all summer for kids...

Try the Dollar Stores as well, I get mine there for a $1.00 each when I need them for a project...

Slackbot

Reaction score
I think I've got the problem licked. I dug out of storage some black vinyl placemats I got about twenty years ago for a different crafty project. (I don't throw art & craft supplies away if there's nothing wrong with them; I know that sooner or later they'll be used.) I cut the frame and earpieces out of that, hot-glued the parts together, and Bob's your uncle. They're still a tiny bit bendy, but they're stable, and easy enough to make that I can shwack together a few spares in case she needs a replacement.

Princeton

Reaction score
I usually go through old Mr. Potato Head kits and use the glasses from there.