What was Sesame Street like from 1988-1992?

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I never even knew that there was 2 Mr. Handfords. How long was the first one on the show? I do remember the slender gray haired David L. Smyrl Mr. Handford. Mabye someone else on here has some info on the original. So that means there were 2 Mr. Handfords, 3 Gordons, 3 Mile's 2 Gabi's, 3 Snuffy's, 2 Telly's, 2 Grungetta's, and 3 Elmo's. WOW

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
You forget "Detective Grover" and "Sinister Sam Looking For Doc Holiday".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah yes, Sesame Street 1988-1992... that's the Sesame Street I was introduced to... I have a few partial episode taped from 1992, that was great; just before they introduced a slue of new characters and new sets (Around the Corner), and just before they cleaned up and brightened up the street.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ah yes, Sesame Street 1988-1992... that's the Sesame Street I was introduced to... I have a few partial episode taped from 1992, that was great; just before they introduced a slue of new characters and new sets (Around the Corner), and just before they cleaned up and brightened up the street.
I was right behind ya! My error was from 85-89/90ish for me. Not that I actually remember to much from back then, LOL!:smile:

JLG

Reaction score
I was still watching it a lot then (I was 6 to 10 years old). I don't remember feeling like anything was changing except around 1992 (even before the theme music change) I started to notice that the special effects were getting more elaborate than they used to be. Like Elmo imagining he's flying, being superimposed against a blue sky. Simple stuff, really, but more elaborate than anything they had really done before that I was aware of. I remember thinking that it was an improvement.

I have six taped episodes from 1991 and 1992. To my mind, it was still pretty much the old show. A lot of old material was still floating around, and the tone was pretty much as it had been in the 80s.

One possible difference: I think maybe the early 90s was when the loose, improv-like dialogue among the actors began to be simplified, and the characters stopped bickering the way they used to all the time. Not sure---that's just the impression I get comparing these '91/'92 eps to ones from just a couple of years earlier.

The show then was a very schizo thing, really---one foot in the 70s and another foot in the (then) present---and kind of unsure where it was going.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like 88-92 were still "Golden Years" for Sesame Street.
...and 1993-1998! Anything is Classic Sesame to me up until Elmo's World came onscreen and Alan begin running Hooper's Store. The only thing good about 1998- 2001 years was that they used more classic clips(I can give them credit for that at least). :smirk:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I think you said that in a couple of other threads. Must we keep repeating that?