What was Sesame Street like from 1988-1992?

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Saw this thread on Google, so I decided to give it a new life.

I have to admit, I used to love the show until I was reminded I had outgrown it. As with many other kids, I listened, jumped on the bandwagon, and moved on to better things.

Based on existing information on Muppet Wiki for the period of 1988 to 1992, it seems as if I didn't miss a thing. The number of letter segments may likely have fallen by that period (some episodes had three segments of the majority letter, and the minority letter had no more than two; and by the 1990s, there were some episodes with only three letter segments (2 majority, and 1 minority). I have to admit, my interest in the show was likely at its peak during the 1982-83 season.

Plus, also, I never would have cared for the sponsored number window being expanded to include the numbers zero and one, and numbers from 13 to 20. I especially wouldn't have cared for the Number Rap, Abstract numbers, number creatures, nor Bellhop segments.

By the mid-1990s, I probably would have lost even more interest when a lot of the newer letter and number segments (mostly computer animation) were starting to gain further exposure, with gradually shrinking exposure of the classic segments as the years progressed. It's a good thing I stopped watching when I did. Even if some classic inserts would continue being shown, some would have new sound effects added, ruining the classic appeal (particularly with the "four construction workers building a number four" and the "L for large, L for little" segments). And the HD format would have been the final nail to the coffin for my interest, if I had continued watching.

As for the episodes where Maria and Luis got married, Maria getting pregnant, and giving birth to Gabriela, or whatever "street scenes" were part of the show, I was more a fan of classic inserts and films more than anything else. The Luis and Maria moments probably would have been the only good things about the period of 1988 to 1992 (and they all occurred in 1988 and 1989), but the inserts were changing with the times.

Last edited: