What exactly does Fraggle mean?

PennyLane

Reaction score
What exactly does fraggle mean? Where did Henson come up with the word?

:excited:

I looked it up before I asked but couldn't find the answer.

Whatever

Reaction score
It's in the book the Works of Jim Henson by Christopher Finch.

Frogster

Reaction score
Well, to answer your question, I'll just go to my book, "Jim Henson: The Works" and look it up for you. Now, The first title of the show was going to be "The International Children's Show" and Woozles was the name of the species before they thought of Fraggles. No one liked the sound of Woozles, and Jerry Juhl kept going back to the name Frackles, which is what the 1960's monsters were called. When the "ck" was softened down to a "gg" it won the vote. It was going to be called "Fraggle Hill," but Jocelyn Stevensen thought it would be too wimpy..."How about Fraggle Rock? And that, my friends, is where the name Fraggle comes from. :smirk:

Foodie

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Now where did the name Frackle come from?

Wasn't " frackle " the name of some Muppet creatures from the 60s?

Nick :smirk:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Foodie said:
Wasn't "frackle" the name of some Muppet creatures from the 60s?
Yeah, but where did they get the word from? Did they just pull it out of thin air, or does it have some background to its origin, or meaning?

Fraggle came for softening of thw word frackle.

Muppet originally came from mixing marinette and puppet. (Plus Jim just thought it sounded cool)

Sesame Street came from the phrase "Open Sesame" the magic words used in Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves. (go here for a lot more info on this one)

But where did Frackle come from? :smirk: