What are your feelings about adult puppetry?

mrhogg

Reaction score
As someone who produces what could easily be labelled "adult" puppetry, I have to say that it's the content that matters as much as the form. Sure, there are swear words, lewd comments, adult situations and sometimes even actual sex scenes, but that's not the point; those things exist to help set a tone, and sometimes to set a stark contrast. I agree that the point shouldn't be that a puppet swears, because anybody can make a puppet swear.

To spin this another way, for those of you who seem to be disregarding puppetry with adult themes simply because they're present, should I disregard puppetry that appeals to younger kids simply because I'm no longer a child?

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
I do puppets of all types and tell all types of stories. Some of these stories are for kids and some are for adults. Depending on what we're trying to protray we'll use adult language and situations. I always keep in mind who the audience is that I'm aiming for with each individual thing I do. I've used nudity and four letter words, and I've gotten by without it too.
Puppetry is so diverse and what's so great about it is these are "constructed actors" and we (as puppeteers) can make them do and be whatever we want or need them to be.
I would never say one type of thing is rigfht or wrong here. For me it's what is best for the story.
Look at my Steve The Vampire projects... we could easily start dropping F-bombs and get a giggle, but it wouldn't work. We use "Heck" and "Dangs" alot (but the over versions of those words) and that is fine, it is about a vampire, after all. But I hve no problem using those words if i'm doing a story about people who do talk like that. It's really what works best for the story, and if it's not in your taste, then no one is gonna make you watch it.
I loved Greg the Bunny, Avenue Q, etc...
And I love Strings and the Muppet Movie...
My tastes are all over the place, I guess!

Jinx

Reaction score
...To spin this another way, for those of you who seem to be disregarding puppetry with adult themes simply because they're present, should I disregard puppetry that appeals to younger kids simply because I'm no longer a child?
Only if it's bad puppetry! Or if the material is bad.

I really appreciate an approach that uses "blue" material with intelligence. Even though it might not be my cup of tea, it at least has the potential for genuine entertainment and/or enrichment.

When it is gratuitous, or without contributing anything of actual substance to the presentation then I have categorically no use for it.

I was thinking about this last night and for some reason I remembered the first 5 minutes or so of Four Weddings and a Funeral. During this entire sequence the only word spoken was the F bomb... and it was really funny! It was a creative and imaginative approach, because each time it was spoken, its meaning had a different shade. It could not have been pulled of without tremendous skill and nuance, both from the actors and the director.

Of course it's always going to boil down to a personal preference, but while I found Four Weddings... funny, I found Avenue Q's "substance" to be shallow and weak. Just my take on it.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Its funny how most adults find 'adult humor' to be juvenile.

Puppet shows that are not intended for children, in my opinion, are just as valid as music not intended for children or paintings not intended for children. Its not just something I can consider as a take it or leave it type of thing.

There are SO many genres of entertainment that aren't suitable for children. Say a horror movie vs. a comedy vs. a romantic comedy vs. a drama...Gosh and even all of the different kind of comedies! And then there are the productions that are poorly done and the ones that are boring but amazingly well done! Wow, everything is just so vast. All that being said, if it was an all or nothing, I'd put up with the horrible productions I've seen (or done) for having seen the wonderful things I've seen (or done!) on stage and screen.

As far as the juvenile humor aspect, holy poop I love it.

Above all, entertain me, I don't care how you do it..just do it. Keep my attention and move my emotions in some way.

Jinx

Reaction score
Avast, Stacyrebecca!

You bring up a point of distinction:not intended for children and not suitable for children. They are not necssarily the same thing.

As an example that I mentioned before, my magic show is not intended for children, but it is certainly suitable for children. So "intended for" and "suitable for" become two clearly separate issues.

My intention is always to entertain; to keep attention and move emotions, but for my money that is stopping short. I care very much how I do it. I also aim to edify. Even with "fluffy, mindless entertainment" I want my audiences to feel better for having had the experience. To feel that there is something of any kind of significance that they can take home with them when all is said and done.

Cheers!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Avast, Stacyrebecca!

You bring up a point of distinction:not intended for children and not suitable for children. They are not necssarily the same thing.
Every now and again the words I mean to say are actually the ones people understand. Hooray and Yar. Both.

(Oh! And I wanted to mention that when I see mindless filth on stage from puppets, I feel better about who I am.)

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Who says you cant do a kids style puppet show in a bar talent show...bring something new, ive done my share of adult shows but i dont use any swears or vulgar material...in fact i think it would be awesome to treat the adults as kids and ask them to count along with you