What are the Avenue Q puppets made of?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I have to back up Ravagefrackle on this one. While no one can seriously suggest that you can't build a puppet and sell it cheaply, but that's not the issue. The real question (as Ravagefrackle pointed out) is not how much the materials cost, but what you decide your time is worth as a professional.

(I originally wrote a very long, detailed response here but it's very long so I've edited this post and decided to post the whole thing in my blog instead. If you want to read my original post click here - it's the blog entry under July 29th)

P

Princeton

gfarkwort said:
Ask Rick Lyon
hes very helpful with Puppet Questions.
Actually, he's not. I e-mailed him, and he was no help at all. I'm tired of building puppets the wrong way. Somebody PM me with some help. Thanx!

robinthecrow

Reaction score
I think you may have been too specific to Rick, perhaps. I tried a direct question, asking him how *exactly* he made them. But he wasn't happy to part with the information, considering he has spent the last 20-odd years learning and using techniques that he has come up on his own, over years of trial and error, only just to put it in an e-mail for someone else to use.

I understand where Rick is coming with that to be perfectly honest. Then again, the Q puppets were made the same way any other of the puppets here are made. Foam, fur, fleece, you name it, its probably made of it.

Hard work, patience and dedication.

Check out Buck's links on his site for sites that sell materials and general information about puppet making.

Don't expect it on a platter.

I did.

And I was wrong. Its best to try it out yourself and experiment.

I did.

And I'm happy learning new techniques. Tomorrow I will be dyeing some fur a colour, which should be exciting, considering I've never done it before. All for a puppet build. There's a certain self-achievement in doing it yourself.

Iokitek

Reaction score
I both agree and disagree. I myself am uneducated. Well...not that I don't know anything. But I never finished any education because I have problems with dealing with faulty lesson plans. I have a high IQ but in the meantime I have problems with the right and left side of my brain not communicating well. So you might say I'm basicly self taught. I don't have any diploma's or whatever.

These past few years I've been trying to learn many professions. Trying to learn a trade. And I'm not crazy. I could've become a guitarbuilder and whatnot. But eventually I gave up alot of my ideas because I didn't get any help from anyone. I even offered people to work fulltime for free. Meanwhile I see a bunch of kids much younger than me getting all the breaks just because they are still in school. And school isn't always what it's supposed to be.

I can imagine puppetbuilders wanting to keep their secrets. But until when? Until they are in their graves? And what will happen to the information they struggled so hard to obtain? I can understand that you might be afraid of competition. But you might also be in the way of progress. I'm also tired of people not being willing to explain anything. It only ends up in everything being patented and maybe not even being used because you need the owners permission. It's called paranoia and I hate it.

I'm rambling here though... I know. But it's just depressing. I don't have alot of money to invest in myself and I've already wasted alot of money trying to learn a trade. All for nothing. Right now I want to become a puppet/costume and prop builder but I'm also beginning to think that I can't teach myself everything and at the same time beginning to realize that most tricks of the trade will be kept a secret from me. I sometimes wonder why I'm even trying then. I must say Steve Axtell was rather helpfull giving me some tips on latex though. So a big "Thumbs Up" for him. :smile:

Iokitek

Reaction score
heh :stick_out_tongue: Ironicaly enough I just got an email from http://www.fantasy-factory.nl/ telling me that I can call them to make an appointment. Apparently they do want to show me how they build their puppets etc. They've just finished a Dutch movie called Pluk van de Petteflet for wich they built and operated 17 puppets. I'm very curious to go backstage and see how they did it all. I'll let you all know how it was once I've been there.

intozlight

Reaction score
I just had to put in my two cents. :smile:

I have been a fine artist for 30+ years. I sculpt in bronze, airbrush, work in all media, write children's books etc. (you get the picture) And now I have decided to do a children's puppet ministry with all the talent and creativity I posess. This includes creating my own characters.

I do know one thing about art however from years of painful experience - everyone wants a Rembrant but they only want to pay for the poster. So whether you are building puppets or sculpting in bronze, your talent is appreciated but seldom "Valued".

I understand those that would sell cheap in order just to sell something! I also sympathize with those that struggle with being paid for their true talent. It is a battle I have fought for years. I can only say that the war is far from over. Best luck to you all no matter which path you choose.

Director Davies
ripplesministry.org

Phantom

Reaction score
Is it time to beat this horse again? I guess so, it's been, what, all of two months now. I don't think its going to get any deader, but beat away...

Is there a difference? Yes.
Can everyone charge $2000 to build a puppet? No.
Can everyone pay $2000 to buy a puppet? No.
Should everyone who can't build a $2000 puppet stop building? Apparently some of you think so. My two cents...

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=23502&highlight=puppet+price

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=20755&highlight=puppet+price

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=19039&highlight=puppet+price

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?threadid=2215

intozlight

Reaction score
Phantom,

I am new to this forum. Sorry, didn't realize there was a time limit for offering an opinion.

:smile:

Phantom

Reaction score
No, it's nothing like that and your opinion is valid and appreciated and my comments were not directed toward you.

Every point that has been made is valid, but those $2000 dollar builders didn't come out of the crib making and selling $2000 puppets. And several seem of the opinion that if you can't be paid $2000 for a puppet you are a drain on society in general. Look, I'm all for free-enterprise and last I checked this is still America where anyone with passion and drive can be successful if they apply themselves.

To which I say more power to these top end builders that feel this way. I have nothing but respect and awe of your talent, but I hope the people that came before you were more encouraging. It's easy to sit in ivory towers and look down on the masses building trying to build their own tower, but weren't one of those before you got your tower?

No, none of these comments were directed toward you intozlight (nice name by the way). You just happened to be the post before mine.

(I'll be expecting a pm from Fozzie, now.)